• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Reynaldo

Reynaldo....did Gustard send that to you? Or is it the one I sent you? There is no Mac version. And I don't think Gustard has released it. I'm going to check with their web site
A correction, coincidentally, your email and theirs arrived practically together.
They are the same file.

They even say that if you don't have a problem with the device, you don't need to update it.

Hello

X16 has no bugs and doesn't need to be updated.

best wishes

Customer Service 01

AndytoWood

I am hoping to pick up this DAC to pair with the Sinxger Sa-1. I have been lurking this hobby (well... at the non-casual tier) for a bit, but more following product reviews, and less from a logistical understanding perspective as I hadn't been ready to actually buy in. I was looking to better understand some things discussed here before opening my wallet.

To start, perhaps embarrassingly basic for enthusiasts with all your experience, but re: pre-amp (I hope I am using this term right) functionality. I want to use this DAC (/stack) sourced by my Win 10 desktop by USB, out to my active monitors and out to the HA amp. Other than being able to turn off the Singxer amp when using only my speakers (if they are connected via the Gustard), is there a reason quality/power or logistics wise to connect the active speakers to the DAC instead of the headphone amp preouts?

Relatedly perhaps, does the Gustard output less to the power to the Singxer if I am simultaneously outputting via RCA to the active monitors and XLR to HA? If I have not made it clear, I have a simpleton level understanding of most of this stuff, but I was curious because of a discussion elsewhere. I believe I understood from that discussion (about the A30Pro) that the Watts/channel claims were predicated on having a DAC feeding it at 5 VRMS instead of 4 VRMS. I guess I was wondering if I would similarly expect to be limiting the performance of my Singxer by possibly feeding it less power than I could be from the Gustard (and if that then was a reason to run the speakers off the Singxer instead).

Finally, Gustard and others earlier in this thread discussed ideally having a true pre-amp before the Gustard for volume adjustment (?hardware volume) and not adjusting on Windows/Foobar (?software/digital volume). I was hoping to clarify this practically in terms of my use. So what I understood from all of this is you don't want digital/software modification of the signal before it reaches the DAC. So do I alleviate all concern by leaving my Windows and any software volume at 100, and leaving the DAC at 0dB (as I believe Gustard further clarified the DAC volume is digital too), and then just controlling the volume with the end units (i.e. with the Singxer knob when using headphones or the speaker's knob when using the speakers)? I guess that is essentially how I use the speakers now, usually adjusting volume with the speaker knob instead of on the PC, but would using the DAC volume or(even worse from what it seems) the Windows/software slider truly be that detrimental to the quality? If so why does the DAC even have volume?

Sorry if these questions a utterly idiotic. Thanks for any guidance!

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Gustard and others earlier in this thread discussed ideally having a true pre-amp before the Gustard for volume adjustment
Some have the pre-amp AFTER ...not before. I use the Gustard for volume control. I'm not sure if your powered speakers will work with the Gustard. It has, I believe, 4V output with balanced and 2V with RCA. I have mine hooked up with XLR direct to an amp and I have also tried unbalanced to a headphone amp and then to the amp with RCA. My sub is high level.

Both work fine.

You should be OK either way. If it doesn't work without a preamp, you can always bring it into the system later.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
UPDATE!!!!

I am really happy to report that the update Gustard sent me in February has worked!!!! It's been noise free for months now.

I had been getting occasional problems with DSD recordings turning into loud white noise. Gustard originally sent me a replacement DAC with the latest firmware but it did the same thing. Horrible noise on DSD.

Then, after they had me do some testing with the bluetooth settings of all things, they had me do an update via the USB connection using a PC (I have a MAC and fortunately it worked on my Mac's virtual PC using Parallel Windows 10).

Kudos to Gustard. I suspect there was an issue with USB and/or bluetooth. Gustard didn't say what was changed.

I'm sitting here listening to Richter's piano performance on Rachmaninov's second concerto. Beautiful!

Reynaldo

UPDATE!!!!

I am really happy to report that the update Gustard sent me in February has worked!!!! It's been noise free for months now.

I had been getting occasional problems with DSD recordings turning into loud white noise. Gustard originally sent me a replacement DAC with the latest firmware but it did the same thing. Horrible noise on DSD.

Then, after they had me do some testing with the bluetooth settings of all things, they had me do an update via the USB connection using a PC (I have a MAC and fortunately it worked on my Mac's virtual PC using Parallel Windows 10).

Kudos to Gustard. I suspect there was an issue with USB and/or bluetooth. Gustard didn't say what was changed.

I'm sitting here listening to Richter's piano performance on Rachmaninov's second concerto. Beautiful!
Congratulations
I didn't get to update my X16 because it never had a DSD problem, and these are the files I have the most.
As I sold the X16, does the number of the new FW appear on the device?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Congratulations
I didn't get to update my X16 because it never had a DSD problem, and these are the files I have the most.
As I sold the X16, does the number of the new FW appear on the device?
No...the firmware didn't change.....it's something else.....maybe the USB or bluetooth has firmware.

kopczas

I have the same . Restart helps.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
It won`t. After I get random white noise issues. Try to switch between MQA and DSD back and forth, you`ll get it eventually.
You’re thinking of the firmware update… this is different - an update via USB … no taking the unit apart.

Last edited:

prerich

Hmmm? I've never had an issue playing DSD files with my X16. Is this a common issue or is it more isolated among users?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Hmmm? I've never had an issue playing DSD files with my X16. Is this a common issue or is it more isolated among users?
You may have a newer unit with the firmware fix

ks12

I have a beginner question, I just purchased(used) a Gustard X16, I have it connected via USB to my PC(Windows 10). When playing back music with Tidal I only see PCM 48KHz on the screen, is that normal? It stays at that same number regardless of the song. I installed the drivers on my PC as well and it doesn't change, I just wanted to check with someone more knowledgeable to see if it is functioning correctly, thanks!

firedog

I have a beginner question, I just purchased(used) a Gustard X16, I have it connected via USB to my PC(Windows 10). When playing back music with Tidal I only see PCM 48KHz on the screen, is that normal? It stays at that same number regardless of the song. I installed the drivers on my PC as well and it doesn't change, I just wanted to check with someone more knowledgeable to see if it is functioning correctly, thanks!
Check your "Sound" settings in Windows. The settings for the DAC/driver should have a tab where you can set the max output rate.
If that is okay, check Tidal settings. AFAIR, they have a similar setting.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
It will read MQA when playing so-coded Tidal music. Check your Tidal playback settings are "Master."

kopczas

You may have a newer unit with the firmware fix
No even newer Gustard firmware, but updated Xmos firmware. I`ve updated Gustard`s firmware which fixed clicking issue at the end of DSF tracks, but it did not solved white noise issue. It happens like 1/100 times so it`s not major pain in behind.

mrjayviper

Is there a comprehensive guide on how to setup foobar asio? I'm having problem using ASIO playback.

setup info:
  • using a laptop with win11
  • USB cable to DAC
  • On the DAC, it's showing PCM 192Khz

steps I followed:
  1. download and install drivers (5.30) from Gustard's site
  2. download and install foobar2000
  3. download and install foobar2000 ASIO plugin
  4. restart PC
  5. Check windows sound settings. Only 2 output devices are available (Speakers - HDA (I guess this is the built-in speaker) and Speaker - USB audio)
  6. On Foobar200 playback settings, I changed the output device to ASIO: Gustard.
  7. I tried to play some music and all I got was "unrecoverable error. playback device is not initialized".
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
It just amazes me people having problems with Windows and Gustard X16 playing DSD or X16 showing 48khz. I suppose I'm lucky not to encounter such issues and never have to upgrade fw. My playing sources are DAPs...sony nw-a45/55/105, Hiby R5, Shanling M0, Fiio M6. So far I have no problems plugging these DAPs to X16 via USB.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Is there a comprehensive guide on how to setup foobar asio? I'm having problem using ASIO playback.

setup info:
  • using a laptop with win11
  • USB cable to DAC
  • On the DAC, it's showing PCM 192Khz

steps I followed:
  1. download and install drivers (5.30) from Gustard's site
  2. download and install foobar2000
  3. download and install foobar2000 ASIO plugin
  4. restart PC
  5. Check windows sound settings. Only 2 output devices are available (Speakers - HDA (I guess this is the built-in speaker) and Speaker - USB audio)
  6. On Foobar200 playback settings, I changed the output device to ASIO: Gustard.
  7. I tried to play some music and all I got was "unrecoverable error. playback device is not initialized".
Thank you in advance.
There's a step by step in the X16 manual for foobar2000

mrjayviper

What asioproxy version should I use? Is there a reason to choose ASIO/DSD vs WASAPI?

I tried WASAPI and it's much easier to get working. But I notice that on the DAc display, the sample rate is the original smoke rate. (Example. If I'm played a 44.1khz file, it will show 44.1KHZ on the DAC. Same thing with a 96khz file.)

1. Does it mean the DAC is running at non-oversampling?
2. Is there I reason to use DSD when I believe I don't have DSD in my local library.

Thanks

Top Bottom