• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

k525

Here you go. I was curious enough the first time that I opened it and snapped a photo. Sorry about the ribbon cables.

Do they really use OPA 1612a?
(I know the SMSL changed OPA without notify the customers..)

archerious

kaydubbed

Ended up buying from Aoshida HiFi-US on Amazon. They said it would ship with Fedex International or DHL which works for me.

Almost went with HiFiGo but they still haven't shipped my SA-1 amp and I ordered that like 3 days ago so I am reluctant to order anything else from them.

3 days ago would have been Saturday, the order wouldn't have been processed until yesterday, and will probably ship today. That's normal for literally any online business.

archerious

3 days ago would have been Saturday, the order wouldn't have been processed until yesterday, and will probably ship today. That's normal for literally any online business.

Just felt strange as it was listed as express shipping included for orders $500 and up. To me express would’ve meant my order would ship by Monday for delivery by the following Monday via FedEx International Priority. Instead it’s Tuesday and still nothing has shipped from HifiGo.

I ordered the X16 from Aoshida and they managed to print a label and have fedex pick up the package all same day. Not saying I expect that speed from all stores but it’s a significant difference so I am glad with my decision.

Into

Hi everyone
I want to connect the gustard with my rpi4. What will be better wireworld ultraviolet 7 usb 2.0 or wireworld starlight usb 3.0?
Rpi4 has usb 3.0 output.
Which inexpensive power cord do you recommend?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi everyone
I want to connect the gustard with my rpi4. What will be better wireworld ultraviolet 7 usb 2.0 or wireworld starlight usb 3.0?
Rpi4 has usb 3.0 output.
You don't need expensive USB cables or expensive power cords. They are 100% money burnt on useless fancier-looking aesthetics.

nhs

Hi everyone
Rpi4 has usb 3.0 output.
Just take a short usual usb2.0 cable unless you want to spend money for nothing.

1lifeliveit

Gustard x16 comes with a USB A to usb B cable. I'm just using that to connect to Rpi. No problems whatsoever

1lifeliveit

USB 3 is backwards compatible. So if you use a USB 2 cable in a USB 3 port, the speeds will just drop to USB 2.

Regardless, the speeds that you will be sending audio signals through to the DAC will be nowhere near the max speed of USB 2 let alone USB 3.

Veri

Master Contributor
Amir , this DAC has ES9068A , it is 32bit DAC , how you can say it is great when you have 125dB dynamic , 21bit !!
your conclusion is not right !!
32-bit DAC architecture does not mean 32 bits of actual resolution. 125dB of dynamic range is already insane, if you'd compare it to the absolute world best's out there and maybe reach 130dB of DR, it won't make any difference we are talking levels so ridiculously low only analysers could 'hear' it.

Veri

Master Contributor
I don't care what Amir measure . this chip should follow it's datasheet , it means 32bit should have 194.4dB SNR, so this another marketing lie

"your conclusion is not right !!" -> and you are an expert in these matters? Have you ready any other datasheets before? You don't seem too well-versed in these things at all. 194.4dB SINAD you mean, not SNR; this is 100% impossible, anyone that has some general knowledge about real-life limits of converters would know that.

Yes, 32-bit DAC is a marketing selling point and not a real-life actual precision. That much is true. The DAC software/hardware architecture pipeline however 100% supports 32-bit floating point data, which will get converted to an analog signal of extremely high precision. This X16 stands tall in the top 10 all-time measured devices. I don't think we've ever come across anything more than 124dB SINAD A-weighted which the Topping D90 and Okto Stereo DACs both should reach.

Please read a bit more about audio before making claims that the experts here are wrong. Using that maximintegrated conversion page does not make an expert...

Top Bottom