• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

tparm

Forum Donor
Is this a try being funny? :p
While one may think so, actually no, you’d be surprised how many people either overlook the antennae in the box or just don’t install them and then complain about BT reception.......

Triumph_900

Can it fully decode MQA data from its Coax input? I ask because I use a Node 2i that can output digital data just through its Coax as it doesn't have Usb out.

ABall

Forum Donor
Can it fully decode MQA data from its Coax input? I ask because I use a Node 2i that can output digital data just through its Coax as it doesn't have Usb out.
No, it does second unfold when using coax input, node does the first. The display shows OFS instead of MQA if settings are correct. If you need to know how to set that up just search this thread for Node and MQA, it's been mentioned many times. It does look like its limited to 24/96 according to a previous post.

Last edited:

Progronom

I connected via I2S. Raspberry Pi with i2s module, the player plays PCM44-384 and DoP64-128.
Gustard plays only the PCM44-352, and the PCM384 plays with distortion. DoP64 plays, and DoP128 not play - silence, although the screen says "DSD 5.6 MHz".

ABall

Forum Donor
Hi, do you turn X16 off or leave it on standby (always on) while not in use?
I leave mine on, theres no standby, just off or on. The display has auto off. I really dont see a problem leaving it powered up, it's well designed and uses very little power.

Last edited:
I can't for the life of me get the bluetooth antenna screwed on. Anybody have a similar problem? The plastic turn ferrel is extremely stiff to turn and instead, I just tried twirling the entire antenna but no dice.....it just will not go on.

UPDATE: After many, many tries.....I got it on. Phew.

Last edited:

chefffe

While one may think so, actually no, you’d be surprised how many people either overlook the antennae in the box or just don’t install them and then complain about BT reception.......
The "funny" thing I tried to mention was .. that he asked if I connected B.O.T.H. BT antennas :facepalm:

I suspected that was the case with some of the earlier complaints.

Last edited:

tparm

Forum Donor
The "funny" thing I tried to mention was .. that he asked if I connected B.O.T.H. BT antennas :facepalm:
Forgive me for trying to help. Is there only one? Have no idea, I am no fan of Bluetooth. One would be better served expressing gratitude. Instead you continue to take up space with useless posts.

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
I connected via I2S. Raspberry Pi with i2s module, the player plays PCM44-384 and DoP64-128.
Gustard plays only the PCM44-352, and the PCM384 plays with distortion. DoP64 plays, and DoP128 not play - silence, although the screen says "DSD 5.6 MHz".
How about playing thru phones or PCs?

When I step through the various inputs....if the input isn't used the display reads UNLOCK. Unlock what? Is that a Chinese to English useage error? I can't find UNLOCK in the manual.

frankh

When I step through the various inputs....if the input isn't used the display reads UNLOCK. Unlock what? Is that a Chinese to English useage error? I can't find UNLOCK in the manual.
UNLOCK means that the input is locked because there's nothing connected to it. UNLOCK it by connecting a device with the relevant output and input.

chefffe

Forgive me for trying to help. Is there only one? Have no idea, I am no fan of Bluetooth. One would be better served expressing gratitude. Instead you continue to take up space with useless posts.
I gave my answer to the request to connect BOTH antennas where only one exists but only YOU thought being very smart and "help" in this situation. Guess who produced more useless posts. I for sure think in this forum is not a single user who is not connecting a BT antenna when he wants to use BT ...
PS: just got it now ... you had the brilliant idea :D:facepalm: ... if you dont know what you are talking about ...

Last edited:

coleccionistadl

Hi,
I was wondering, is it possible to connect my Oppo 203 player (HDMI audio output) to the IIS-H (HDMI audio input) of the Gustard DAC-X16?

ABall

Forum Donor
Hi,
I was wondering, is it possible to connect my Oppo 203 player (HDMI audio output) to the IIS-H (HDMI audio input) of the Gustard DAC-X16?
No dont do that, it may end in tears! I2S is not the same as HDMI audio, it just shares the same connection type, nothing else, you could damage the x16.

Top Bottom