• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GUSTARD S16 Streamer

memyselfandi

Ok so I got an answer from Gustard Audio; "S16 doesn't support roon" ...
So maybe Volumio Primo is the best (easiest) option to stream Roon into my dac without having the PC on all the time...

Last edited:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yup, why waste all of that extra money on organizing the well designed and engineered components into neat presentable - stackable - little boxes organized by function? It is much better to have all of the internals open and spread out for easy access for tuning and swapping in / out new components:
My RPi fits neatly into a little, attractive case. The S16 is just a streamer, not a DAC, so it's like for like on number of units.
I work with development tools by day, so when I get home I want to listen to music not work with more breadboards and evaluation kits. Even less so do I want to go through setting up the software and hardware - endlessly tweaking it as updates are available to make it all sound "better".
Never had to tweak my set up. 10 mins to put together, 20 mins to configure. Leave alone after that.
It all comes down to personal taste, which setup would you rather come home to and live with day to day?
Agreed.
Spoiler: PS: It is spelled "Ropieee"
Thank you for your correction. I am, however, well aware of the spelling. I made what is commonly known as a typo.
Enjoy the Music, and Have Fun!
I couldn't with this unit as it won't be Roon-ready at launch.

Last edited:

Sukie

Forum Donor
So maybe Volumio Primo is the best (easiest) option to stream Roon into my dac without having the PC on all the time...
You'll still need to keep on whatever runs your Roon Core at present. The RPi doesn't have the capacity for that. Is your Core on your PC or do you have a dedicated device?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Just to echo @SJ777 comments, you'll still need your PC running the roon core (the engine) , RPi's etc are just endpoints and phones etc just controllers for the Core. At which point, if you can run a USB cable from PC to DAC thats easiest but I suspect its either too far away from PC or that is what you currently do.

Sukie

Forum Donor
RPi's etc are just endpoints and phones etc just controllers for the Core.
I was recently told off for referring to an RPi as a Roon endpoint. I was informed, firmly, that an RPi is the bridge and my DAC is the endpoint. All I know is that whatever magic is being performed, it's a mighty fine sound at the end!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was recently told off for referring to an RPi as a Roon endpoint. I was informed, firmly, that an RPi is the bridge and my DAC is the endpoint. All I know is that whatever magic is being performed, it's a mighty fine sound at the end!

Ha, yes possibly. For me my bridge and endpoint are one and the same. Cambridge cxnv2 streamer dac. Wasn't roon ready on purchase but got a nice upgrade last year. If it dies I would go the rpi route into a dac, not a dedicated expensive streamer dac again

memyselfandi

You'll still need to keep on whatever runs your Roon Core at present. The RPi doesn't have the capacity for that. Is your Core on your PC or do you have a dedicated device?

Thanks for all the information... and yes I run a Roon server on an (older) mac (that stays on 24/7). If needs be I could also install Roon on the NAS where most of my music is stored. Most of my high end audio gear is hooked up to the my DAW (PC)... so when I want to stream higher quality (DSD, Lossless, MQA...) the PC has to be on... I think having the Volumio Primo on the network would make it possible to use Roon and/or Tidal play/stream files via the Volumio Primo into my (usb) DAC or via the RCA... I think there is no (2nd) MQA unfording on the build in Volumio Primo DAC.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Thanks for all the information... and yes I run a Roon server on an (older) mac (that stays on 24/7). If needs be I could also install Roon on the NAS where most of my music is stored. Most of my high end audio gear is hooked up to the my DAW (PC)... so when I want to stream higher quality (DSD, Lossless, MQA...) the PC has to be on.
I understand.
I think having the Volumio Primo on the network would make it possible to use Roon and/or Tidal play/stream files via the Volumio Primo into my (usb) DAC or via the RCA... I think there is no (2nd) MQA unfording on the build in Volumio Primo DAC.
The Primo would, of course, do the job. A cheaper (and smaller) solution would be a simple RPi4 loaded with Ropieee.

hmscott

For me Roon is a waste of time and money. I've had no problem streaming Tidal, Amazon, Youtube, or any other streaming services I've tried, and none of those will be benefited by running through a Roon complication for me.

I don't want to spend thousands on music files, so I don't need to spend $700+ to "organize them" and unify my streaming services interface into what Roon thinks is best for me.

I don't see any advantages to paying extra money to complicate my music listening with "Roon" simplifying my access to music by consolidating everything into one interface.

All of the interfaces for the streaming services I use are all very understandable and duplicating playlists is automatic for me, I enjoy using different interfaces to explore and discover music.

It is in their interface and library differences that I decided to subscribe to them in the first place. Why would I want to "flatten out" their differences into *another* interface?
I watch you Roon guys fret over Roon support, speculate on the complications to get Roon working - I've seen the settings discussions for setting up new hardware - and to go through the time and expense to build out a local service to support Roon to me is unnecessary.

And, if you don't have a Roon Lifetime license already the pricing will continue to increase ad infinitum, or Roon will stop offering the Lifetime license. Or, Roon won't be a viable business, and it will end. Then what will you do with the Roon limited hardware choices made based on Roon support?, and what about the money wasted on that Lifetime license?

Roon Lifetime license went up from $500 to $699 ->> $700!!
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lifetime-price-increase-499-699/84339

$119.88 Annual charge x 6 years = Lifetime charge, so after 6 years you will be paying more than the Lifetime charge. $12.99/mo on a month to month basis = $155.88 or 4.5 years till reaching the current cost of a Lifetime license.

To make it even more confusing, here in the US "ruin" is often pronounced "roon", which confuses people when you are talking about software to play music called "Ruin" :)
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/10-things-learned-as-midwesterner-going-to-school-in-new-england

I'm happy you all are having fun, but to have to put up with "Does it support Roon, when will it support Ruin?, and finally you all need an RPI to support Roon - its the best", and then the ongoing continuous discussion back and forth on Roon seems OT to me not being interested in Roon.

I was interested in the hardware before the Roon talk began :)

I would imagine not everyone wants to talk about Roon support for every new piece of hardware, and they don't want to be "sold" Roon or convinced they need it. Do you guys get a discount for selling Roon? A monthly discount? Or, how does that work?

Perhaps a Roon support forum / Thread might be best to keep the repetition down of the same Roon banter in every new hardware thread? A post pointing to that thread from new hardware threads to remind Roon'er's where the discussion is happening? That would increase the consolidation of information, no need to keep repeating it, while reducing the Roon banter in every new hardware thread.

I'd rather spend time discussion and getting to know the audio hardware, and not discussing Roon. :)
No need to reply or argue, I only wanted to let it be known not all of us are "Roon" ready.

Please have fun, don't forget to enjoy the Music, and please don't "Roon" it for the rest of us. ;)

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For me Roon is a waste of time and money. I've had no problem streaming Tidal, Amazon, Youtube, or any other streaming services I've tried, and none of those will be benefited by running through a Roon complication for me.

I don't want to spend thousands on music files, so I don't need to spend $700+ to "organize them" and unify my streaming services interface into what Roon thinks is best for me.

I don't see any advantages to paying extra money to complicate my music listening with "Roon" simplifying my access to music by consolidating everything into one interface.

All of the interfaces for the streaming services I use are all very understandable and duplicating playlists is automatic for me, I enjoy using different interfaces to explore and discover music.

It is in their interface and library differences that I decided to subscribe to them in the first place. Why would I want to "faltten out" their differences into *another* interface?
I watch you Roon guys fret over Roon support, speculate on the complications to get Roon working - I've seen the settings discussions for setting up new hardware - and to go through the time and expense to build out a local service to support Roon to me is unnecessary.

And, if you don't have a Roon Lifetime license already the pricing will continue to increase ad infinitum, or Roon will stop offering the Lifetime license. Or, Roon won't be a viable business, and it will end. Then what will you do with the Roon limited hardware choices made based on Roon support?, and what about the money wasted on that Lifetime license?

Roon Lifetime license went up from $500 to $699 ->> $700!!
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lifetime-price-increase-499-699/84339

$119.88 Annual charge x 6 years = Lifetime charge, so after 6 years you will be paying more than the Lifetime charge. $12.99/mo on a month to month basis = $155.88 or 4.5 years till reaching the current cost of a Lifetime license.

To make it even more confusing, here in the US "ruin" is often pronounced "roon", which confuses people when you are talking about software to play music called "Ruin" :)
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/10-things-learned-as-midwesterner-going-to-school-in-new-england

I'm happy you all are having fun, but to have to put up with "Does it support Roon, when will it support Ruin?, and finally you all need an RPI to support Roon - its the best", and then the ongoing continuous discussion back and forth on Roon seems OT to me not being interested in Roon, but I was interested in the hardware before the Roon talk began :)

I would imagine not everyone wants to talk about Roon support for every new piece of hardware, and they don't want to be "sold" Roon or convinced they need it. Do you guys get a discount for selling Roon? A monthly discount? Or, how does that work?

Perhaps a Roon support forum / Thread might be best to keep the repetition down of the same Roon banter in every new hardware thread? A post pointing to that thread from new hardware threads to remind Roon'er's where the discussion is happening?

I'd rather spend time discussion and getting to know the audio hardware, not discussing Roon. :)

Have fun, and don't forget to enjoy the Music, please don't "Roon" it for the rest of us. ;)
So, just to clarify, you post an anti roon comment in a hardware thread getting bogged down with Roon chat, because you think that will decrease the Roon chat?

And I'm pretty sure a roon question pertaining to a specific hardware review is infinitely more on topic than a generic roon rant on same thread. No?

Sukie

Forum Donor
I don't want to spend thousands on music files, so I don't need to spend $700+ to "organize them" and unify my streaming services interface into what Roon thinks is best for me
I think the point raised was not about purchased albums, but albums simply put into the Qobuz favourites. Roon allows you to catalogue these into a collection. I'm not saying that I'd pay for Roon just for this. In fact I pay for Roon to integrate Qobuz with DSP and to provide a listening environment that works across all of my devices.

I can see that Roon might not be for everybody (obviously) but it has enhanced my listening experience and provides value for money. At the end of the day, we're talking about the cost of 2 beers a month.

hmscott

So, just to clarify, you post an anti roon comment in a hardware thread getting bogged down with Roon chat, because you think that will decrease the Roon chat?

And I'm pretty sure a roon question pertaining to a specific hardware review is infinitely more on topic than a generic roon rant on same thread. No?
Please, start a Roon Thread where all the Roon support talk can be consolidated, and I will be happy to contribute there :)

"Perhaps a Roon support forum / Thread might be best to keep the repetition down of the same Roon banter in every new hardware thread? A post pointing to that thread from new hardware threads to remind Roon'er's where the discussion is happening? That would increase the consolidation of information, no need to keep repeating it, while reducing the Roon banter in every new hardware thread. "

Besides, I've posted a bunch of useful information for you Rooners a bunch of times before this, and I felt it important to let everyone know I don't "Roon" myself so as to not confuse my interest in audio PI hardware with Roon's use of it.

I don't want to sell anyone on Roon based on my technical posts about hardware that supports Roon, since I don't use Roon myself, and have no interest in starting to use Roon.
I've got a better idea. You start one. Not sure what success you'll have when people want to know if THIS device supports Roon.
"Perhaps a Roon support forum / Thread might be best to keep the repetition down of the same Roon banter in every new hardware thread? A post pointing to that thread from new hardware threads to remind Roon'er's where the discussion is happening? That would increase the consolidation of information, no need to keep repeating it, while reducing the Roon banter in every new hardware thread. "
In Denmark You can get 14 bottles of first class beer for the monthly payment for Roon.
Exactly what I was thinking :)

Here in the US we can get take home packs of "Beer" for 50-65 cents / beer, or 19-26 beers for 1 month of Roon subscription :)
At the risk of drifting off topic I was talking more about the cost a couple of beers on a night out in the UK (not that we get many of those at the moment!). I can get Roon for approximately £7.50 a month (with annual subscription). That's the cost of a bottle of wine here in the UK!

As @Jimbob has said, we are only discussing Roon because there was a specific question about whether or nor the S16 could be used to stream it. It would appear that the answer is no. Judging whether Roon is good, bad, or worth the cost of x number of beers is somewhat irrelevant.
It was a good comparison, and I think you may have found more people want to talk about the cost of beer than Roon :)

For everyone that doesn't use Roon discussing Roon support for a product is irrelevant to them.
Uncertified Roon Ready devices announcement
danny Danny Dulai Roon Labs: COO Sep '20
We are seeing some confusion on the recent announcement about uncertified Roon Ready devices and September 21.
First and foremost
If you are currently playing to ANY device successfully, you WILL NOT LOSE ACCESS TO THAT DEVICE ON SEPTEMBER 21.
So, what happens on September 21st?
Well, before we talk about what happens, let’s confirm if you have an affected device. You can verify if you have an affected device by visiting Sidebar > Settings > Audio, and checking if you have a pink UNCERTIFIED banner that looks like this:

If you do not see this pink banner, you are not going to be affected. Enjoy the music!
If you do see the pink banner, you will no longer be allowed to “enable” that device after September 21st. This change will only affect newly installed Roon Cores, and any database resets. If the device is already “enabled” before September 21st, you will be unaffected.
If you have an uncertified device… now what?
First, DO NOT DISABLE IT or reset your Roon database. Disabling it will result in not being able to enable it again until the device is certified.
Next, reach out to your device’s manufacturer and ask how you will be notified when a properly certified Roon Ready firmware will be available for your device.
If your device is not certified, it most likely has issues that affect its performance, reliability, and/or overall experience. If you’ve not experienced any problems, then consider yourself lucky. Still, we certify devices across a much broader range of networks, audio formats, and use cases than any single person will use. This is the reason why the Roon Ready certification exists.
Why is this happening? I thought I was safe with Roon Ready.
The Roon Ready program, the RAAT networking protocol, and the certification process is all about creating trust.
The Roon Ready program and the RAAT protocol allows manufacturers to add audiophile-focused network streaming to their devices without sacrificing simplicity and reliability.
The certification program exists so that you can trust that the devices will work perfectly when they get to your house. During certification, we often find bugs that undermine the sound quality, networking reliability, and status of the current device (signal path and transport stuff).
A device that is “uncertified Roon Ready” means that it is in the process of becoming “Roon Ready certified”, but has not yet completed the testing and certification process.
Uncertified devices are not meant to be sold to the public, but instead only used by the manufacturers’ development teams.
Not every manufacturer obeys the rules, thus breaking the trust the program intends to create. If you bought an uncertified device, it means the manufacturer violated the trust we wanted to create and have violated the Roon Ready license terms. We currently call out those development devices with a pink banner, as you can see above, in hopes that no user is fooled into purchasing “beta” hardware.
We’ve been trying to get manufacturers to fix this issue for over two years and for every one that fixes the situation, two more break the rules. We had to draw the line somewhere, and September 21st is where we drew it. I guess this is just a side effect given the success of the program.
Every audio device manufacturer affected knows what’s going on and has chosen to prioritize other tasks over getting appropriately certified. We are shutting down this bad behavior before it gets out of control.
The good news is that 90% of the offending manufacturers have recently submitted new firmware or made other movements in their certification process. Many already had been certified, but the users need to be contacted to get new firmware (with bugfixes) for their devices.

48349_2.png
danny
I call BS on that. You could have extended the notification timeline to allow more time so as to ensure end users aren’t left holding the bag. Roon’s self serving announcement doesn’t equate to being customer focused. Who pays your COO salary? The subscribers or the audio hardware people?
This was a poorly communicated announcement that only seemed to have served Roon’s self interests and was a slap in the face to Roon users that may be left with audio devices that don’t work.
Because you didn’t enforce your own internal processes with the manufacturers why are the users the ones that might suffer? The NAD M10 certification issue has been going on for over two and a half years and Roon did nothing but say we don’t discuss certification issues.
Sit back and pat yourself on the back for the 2.5 years of kicking the certification can down the road and giving the finger to potentially impacted users. Bravo for a lack of leadership!
How can a COO keep his job in this environment?
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/uncertified-roon-ready-devices-announcement/120298

The more I read from Roon in their forums, the less I care about using Roon.
Does RAM increase forever?
sg86Shaun
Just wondering when RAM will stop increasing, Roon is up to 6GB RAM now, everything just being shoved into RAM then ?

Screenshot from 2021-01-19 17-12-50793×275 10.4 KB

ChrislayerukChris
I found this when I only had 4 gig Ram on my QNAP. Eventually I would have issues due to Saturated RAM and have to re boot the core app which brings things back to normal. Now I have 16 gig Ram, the issue has gone away for all intent and purpose.

Saturn94
Interesting. I checked my streamer, a Salkstream III (running Linux Arch, 8gb RAM), and there was less than 1gb available. I rebooted it and now over 6gb is available. It looks like regular reboots are in order.

Andreas_Philipp1
If you have ssh access, you can simply restart the roonserver process. Or make a cron job do it regularly. I have to restart roonserver every 5-6 days when memory usage reaches 5.5 - 6 GB and interface interactions with the server get unbearably slow.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/does-ram-increase-forever/136872/5
People are dedicating $k's of hardware as the "Roon Core" server?? Then adding a QNAP server to hold the files. And, there can be other hardware used to pick the songs to play on yet more hardware?? On top of paying a monthly fee? When do the costs end?

Roon Nucleus verses Apple Mac Mini M1
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-nucleus-verses-apple-mac-mini-m1/127867#

69VanNuys Nov '20
Our roon server is current run off a 2012 Mac Mini with an SSD and upgraded RAM. With Big Sur, Apple’s new OS, on the horizon, preparing for the necessity for an upgrade. Any opinions on whether to go with a Nucleus Plus or a Mac Mini M1 (16 GB Ram and SSD)? Thanks!

A Nucleus Plus costs $2559!! The "entry level" Nucleus costs $1459! A Mac M1 Mini starts out cheaper, but not if you want more RAM and storage installed.
https://roonlabs.com/nucleus

Last edited:

ENG

Forum Donor
I think the point raised was not about purchased albums, but albums simply put into the Qobuz favourites. Roon allows you to catalogue these into a collection. I'm not saying that I'd pay for Roon just for this. In fact I pay for Roon to integrate Qobuz with DSP and to provide a listening environment that works across all of my devices.

I can see that Roon might not be for everybody (obviously) but it has enhanced my listening experience and provides value for money. At the end of the day, we're talking about the cost of 2 beers a month.

In Denmark You can get 14 bottles of first class beer for the monthly payment for Roon.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Please, start a Roon Thread where all the Roon support talk can be consolidated, and I will be happy to contribute there :)

Besides, I've posted a bunch of useful information for you Rooners a bunch of times before this, and I felt it important to let everyone know I don't "Roon" myself so as to not confuse my interest in audio PI hardware with Roon's use of it.

I don't want to sell anyone on Roon based on my technical posts about hardware that supports Roon, since I don't use Roon myself, and have no interest in starting to use Roon.

I've got a better idea. You start one. Not sure what success you'll have when people want to know if THIS device supports Roon.

Sukie

Forum Donor
At the risk of drifting off topic I was talking more about the cost a couple of beers on a night out in the UK (not that we get many of those at the moment!). I can get Roon for approximately £7.50 a month (with annual subscription). That's the cost of a bottle of wine here in the UK!

As @Jimbob has said, we are only discussing Roon because there was a specific question about whether or nor the S16 could be used to stream it. It would appear that the answer is no. Judging whether Roon is good, bad, or worth the cost of x number of beers is somewhat irrelevant.

memyselfandi

Wow ... Multiple Beers, to Roon or not to Roon... this Gustard S16 streamer thread is happening.

And yes @hmscott 100% Roon can really suck the uniqueness out of the services it integrates and that is a very valid point!
The uniqueness of the (streaming) services is something to be cherished... I love the (UI) usability of Spotify it makes it baby easy to dive deep into similar music and make new discoveries (Discover Weekly is an never ending source of joy). But Spotify lacks all the amazing per song/album credits features of Tidal - I like that I can follow a produces or instrumentalist and see what else they produced/recorded...
It is wonderful that we have such amazing and unique ways to stream/discover and most of all enjoy music...

Ok so for now... I decided to just use my (24/7 on Mac) Roon Server. I connected one of the high end (Fostex HP4A) DACs to it and this will have to be it for the moment... But I am strongly considering the Volumio Primo (hifi edition) mainly for it's Spotify functionality and no ongoing subscription payments.

As for the Gustard S16 I have not had any replies to my questions from the Gustard support team, but the S16 is or could be also a good solution... but possibly not as good (available/tested/reliable) as the Volumio Primo (or RPi) at least not now.

Last edited:

hmscott

Wow ... Multiple Beers, to Roon or not to Roon... this Gustard S16 streamer thread is happening.

And yes @hmscott 100% Roon can really suck the uniqueness out of the services it integrates and it is a very valid point!
The uniqueness of the (streaming) services is something to be cherished... I love the (UI) usability of Spotify it makes it baby easy to dive deep into similar music and make new discoveries (Discover Weekly is an never ending source of joy). But Spotify lacks all the amazing per song/album credits features of Tidal - I like that I can follow a produces or instrumentalist and see what else they produced/recorded...
It is wonderful that we have such amazing and unique ways to stream/discover and most of all enjoy music...

Ok so for now... I decided to just use my (24/7 on Mac) Roon Server. I connected one of the high end (Fostex HP4A) DACs to it and this will have to be it for the moment... But I am strongly considering the Volumio Primo (hifi edition) mainly for it's Spotify functionality and no ongoing subscription payments.

As for the Gustard S16 I have not had any replies to my questions from the Gustard support team, but the S16 is or could be also a good solution... but possibly not as good (available/tested/reliable) as the Volumio Primo (or RPi) at least not now.
Very gracious, friendly, and sane reply, I really do appreciate that most of all :)

Gustard have historically been a great hardware company, very astute engineers, but maybe not so much on the communications or being communicative - being without a web site for a very long time.

For a long time people (me too!) were waiting for MQA support for the A22 - a new MQA version was advertised as forthcoming for a long time, about 8 months I think and now this MQA option has been removed from vendor product listings. I recall some paid for the MQA version as a pre-order, not sure how that ended up, but there is no option to order / pre-order an MQA version right now.

Then the A18 DAC shipped a version with MQA before the end of 2020 which then was pulled due to non-Certification by MQA.co.uk and the product listing now says "MQA version supports MQA full decoding", but there is no option to order one (or pre-order one).

What I am trying to say is I wouldn't count on anything being offered that isn't actually available from Gustard, they have good intentions, but Gustard isn't always able to follow through on their promises.

Small boutique companies are often stung by offering too much and then not being able to deliver despite their best intentions.

I'm still hopeful for Gustard as they do have great products, but I won't waste time waiting for them to offer anything that isn't shipping and available right now. :)

Last edited:

memyselfandi

Ooo
Very gracious, friendly, and sane reply, I really do appreciate that most of all :)

Gustard have historically been a great hardware company, very astute engineers, but maybe not so much on the communications or being communicative - being without a web site for a very long time.

For a long time people were waiting for MQA support from the A22 - a new MQA version was advertised as forthcoming for a long time, about 8 months I think and now this MQA option has been removed from vendor product listings. I recall some paid for the MQA version as a pre-order, not sure about that, but there is no option to order / pre-order an MQA version right now.

Then the A18 DAC shipped a version with MQA before the end of 2020 which then was pulled due to non-Certification by MQA.co.uk and the product listing now says "MQA version supports MQA full decoding", but there is no option to order one (or pre-order one).

What I am trying to say is I wouldn't count on anything being offered that isn't actually available from Gustard, they have good intentions, but Gustard don't always follow through on their promises.

Small boutique companies are often stung by offering too much and then not being able to deliver despite their best intentions.

I'm still hopeful for Gustard as they do have great products, but I won't waste time waiting for them to offer anything that isn't shipping and available right now. :)

100% @hmscott I do have the Gustard X16 DAC on order but it is more for the XLR / balance hardware not so much MQA, but I hear that the MQA unfolding works on that model.

Additionally mainly do to your Roon rant and my love for Spotify, I have ordered the Volumio Primo and will not be using Roon (11 days of the trial left)... the money I save on not paying for Roon will go toward my Tidal HiFi subscription :p.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Ooo

100% @hmscott I do have the Gustard X16 DAC on order but it is more for the XLR / balance hardware not so much MQA, but I hear that the MQA unfolding works on that model.

Additionally mainly do to your Roon rant and my love for Spotify, I have ordered the Volumio Primo and will not be using Roon (11 days of the trial left)... the money I save on not paying for Roon will go toward my Tidal HiFi subscription :p.
The X16 is a full MQA Decoder so you'll be fine there.

Your initial question specifically referred to Roon. I would have thought that spending a few more days weighing up Roon (you're only 3 days into the trial) might have been advantageous. An RPi running Ropieee XL would have enabled you to run Spotify alongside Roon. Just wondering what it was that attracted you to the Roon trial in the first place?

hmscott

The X16 is the first device I've seen offer MQA hardware rendering through optical/coax/AES/IIS, that's pretty cool right there :)

"C0AX/ AES/OPT/IIS supports MQA hardware rendering." on the shenzenaudio site, and I assume that is described here, but the images with the info details aren't in English:
Also with the AKM factory fire it will be easier and more affordable for Gustard to offer the Dual ES9068AS based X16 vs the A18 (AKM4499) moving forward.

I assume you are getting the "Volumio – Primo Hi-Fi Edition" for the MyVolumio SuperStar lifetime plan for enablement of the features too? :)
1611194298012.png
That is certainly more affordable than the Roon Nucleus (Plus) + Lifetime Roon subscription. With Volumio you are getting in on the ground floor, so to speak. Good luck to you and Volumio.

New stuff is fun, Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom