• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard R26 R2R DAC with roon

Snoopy

Major Contributor
If there is already a thread please go ahead and delete this one.

Just saw at audiophonics that gustard has a R2R DAC with roon support and airplay. 16597-gustard-r26-inpage1.jpg16596-gustard-r26-inpage4.jpg16596-gustard-r26-inpage3.jpg16596-gustard-r26-inpage2en.jpg

Looks really fancy.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If there is already a thread please go ahead and delete this one.

Just saw at audiophonics that gustard has a R2R DAC with roon support and airplay.View attachment 214391View attachment 214392View attachment 214393View attachment 214394

Looks really fancy.

Meh.. https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/gustard-r26 Look at the DSD Direct readings!!!

Pretty sure people can get similar functionality and better performance from this https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...audio-cxn-v2-measurements-streamer-dac.31915/

Filodream

I got the r26 dac today, but I immediately noticed an oddity: when in standby mode I can hear a high frequency noise coming from the knob on the front that varies in tone\intensity by turning. o_O
Noises disappear when I turn on the dac, but I don't like these things and I will probably proceed with a return.
I asked other users who have an r26 if their unit does the same thing too.

Icona di Verificata con community

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Heard the x26 pro..very impressive! Just let go cxn v2...beautiful dac and streamer and got the r26. Was blown away by how it sounds! It sounded what it was reviewed exactly (natural, fuller, staging, etc.)...no regrets...for getting this flagship!
What other gear are you using with it?

leonafonte

Heard the x26 pro..very impressive! Just let go cxn v2...beautiful dac and streamer and got the r26. Was blown away by how it sounds! It sounded what it was reviewed exactly (natural, fuller, staging, etc.)...no regrets...for getting this flagship!
Did R26 improve timbre and texture in the midrange comparing to X26, preserving its punch and details?

Musiclunatic

Did R26 improve timbre and texture in the midrange comparing to X26, preserving its punch and details?
About the same in terms of mid, stage...not as punchy as X26 (5 to 10%) but more musical and transient (as compensation)...adding DDC could be a game changer, not worth shifting from X26 to R26 unless you do not have it, else....worth the thought for that investment.

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
About the same in terms of mid, stage...not as punchy as X26 (5 to 10%) but more musical and transient (as compensation)...adding DDC could be a game changer, not worth shifting from X26 to R26 unless you do not have it, else....worth the thought for that investment.

The R26 has roon support. Would be one less box. If money is of no concern it's definitely a interesting device.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not tested yet by @amirm ?
No. But the link in this post will give you a good idea of what it would look like reviewed here. Not great.

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
The DSD performance especially is bad.

Wavemechanic

Meh.. https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/gustard-r26 Look at the DSD Direct readings!!!

Pretty sure people can get similar functionality and better performance from this https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...audio-cxn-v2-measurements-streamer-dac.31915/
Measurements aren't sound. I have a CXN, I'll be moving it on soon as believe it or not i get way more depth and detail from the DAC in my Panasonic UB9000 (I'll be getting a dedicated DAC shortly). The difference is immediately obvious. Sorry but the CXN really isn't great. It's flat and boring. No soundstage. So much detail missing.

Wunderphones

Whatever Gustard or Audiophonics is saying in their product descriptions, this isn't a Roon Ready or Roon Tested device:

So, it might work, if the manufacturer or retailer is saying so. But if Roon hasn't said it'll work, I wouldn't make that one of my bases for purchasing the device. And without that, well...

Was thinking of selling most of my Schiit gear along with my Bluesound. But still need to be convinced 100% that it will work with Roon.
Waiting for a concrete review that says it does!

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sandu on youtube likes R26 more than Terminator Plus. The worse performance the better sound in R2R camp? :)

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Sandu on youtube likes R26 more than Terminator Plus. The worse performance the better sound in R2R camp? :)
Maybe because it sounds more different with decreasing performance that reviewers prefer the new sound simply because it's a new experience.

But if the source already sounds good I have no idea what such a DAC could add expect making the experience worse than it could be.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe because it sounds more different with decreasing performance that reviewers prefer the new sound simply because it's a new experience.

But if the source already sounds good I have no idea what such a DAC could add expect making the experience worse than it could be.
I am talking about "3D layering and huge soundstage" that reviewers often assiociate with R2R dacs.
Why (?) concidering quite normal (100 Ohm) output impedance and distortion like this:
1661877674909.png

That is so much worse than my D70s (that Sandu also liked very much claiming that it has R2R qualities, but from the review I guess he likes R26 more than any delta-sigma DAC) that it makes me puzzled.

Top Bottom