• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard R26 R2R DAC with roon

BrokenOath

I just received my R26 this morning. I have a few questions about functionality.
PCM NOS: enable or disable?
PCM filter: fast (to what setting do you have it set to?)
DSD direct: on or off?
How to verify the firmware version?
Per the manual, I have set the vol to 0dB to set it to vol fixed (DAC only). I am currently using it with an Topping A90D in preamp mode. Are you using the internal preamp of the R26 or a standalone preamp?

Thanks,

Last edited:

BrokenOath

Gustards own measurements if that is what you mean.

16596-gustard-r26-inpage13.jpg

If only SINAD rules the world then this product will be derided by many on here.
Having never heard an R2R DAC, I remain open minded.
Though in the land of sigma-delta DACS I own an SMSL M400, I then bought a gustard X16 which has some better measures, notably the multitone test in the bass region.
Yet I prefer the M400.

I suspect no manufacturer will submit an R2R DAC to this site, due to the 'bias' based on SINAD numbers.
Shame really.
I have been using the SMSL SU-10 for a few months now, and received the R26 this morning, to my ears they are not far apart, but although I am keeping both, but if I had to get rid of one it would have been the SU-10; yet the SU-10 is at the top of the SINAD meter here.

Greenman

I just received my R26 this morning. I have a few questions about functionality.
Per the manual, I have set the vol to 0dB to set it to vol fixed (DAC only)

Thanks,
I’d start with this:
PCM Nos : Disable
DSD direct : Disable
Filter : To taste but start with Fast or Med (I am happiest on Med YMMV).

Dsd Direct: Only enable this if you are feeding with a DSD signal ..I.e. generated by HQPlayer or similar.
PCM NOS: I prefer NOS disabled, others prefer different. Again if using DSD and external filters (HQPlayer etc) then NOS Enabled is likely to be preferable.

I use PCM files (Hi res and CD quality) from Qobuz and find the above settings preferable.

Note- despite what some others (who don’t own it)may say, the R26 takes a good while to fully settle down, leave it on 24/7 and don’t start tinkering too much with settings for a week or so.

BrokenOath

I’d start with this:
PCM Nos : Disable
DSD direct : Disable
Filter : To taste but start with Fast or Med (I am happiest on Med YMMV).

Dsd Direct: Only enable this if you are feeding with a DSD signal ..I.e. generated by HQPlayer or similar.
PCM NOS: I prefer NOS disabled, others prefer different. Again if using DSD and external filters (HQPlayer etc) then NOS Enabled is likely to be preferable.

I use PCM files (Hi res and CD quality) from Qobuz and find the above settings preferable.

Note- despite what some others (who don’t own it)may say, the R26 takes a good while to fully settle down, leave it on 24/7 and don’t start tinkering too much with settings for a week or so.
Thank you.

sdrichard

Per the manual, I have set the vol to 0dB to set it to vol fixed (DAC only). I am currently using it with an Topping A90D in preamp mode. Are you using the internal preamp of the R26 or a standalone preamp?

Thanks,
Here's what I do:
PCM filter: fast
PCM NOS: enable
DSD direct: off

But to be honest, I don't hear a lot of differences. The only reason I left the NOS option 'on' is because that's what you buy the R26 for, isn't it?

BrokenOath

Here's what I do:
PCM NOS: enable

But to be honest, I don't hear a lot of differences. The only reason I left the NOS option 'on' is because that's what you buy the R26 for, isn't it?
Thank you, I am interfacing with the unit via its LAN input port, and I am really impressed of what I am hearing. An upgrade over my SMSL SU-10 for sure, and the SU-10 is a sonic bliss itself. I am so impressed I placed an order for the matching Gustard H26 amp/preamp.

rs172

Thank you, I am interfacing with the unit via its LAN input port, and I am really impressed of what I am hearing. An upgrade over my SMSL SU-10 for sure, and the SU-10 is a sonic bliss itself. I am so impressed I placed an order for the matching Gustard H26 amp/preamp.
PCM NOS: disable (I prefer letting the R26 to oversample)

The only main differences I hear when comparing the R26 to three other dacs is the density and attack of the sound cues, but maybe its because of the higher voltage out of the R26 towards the preamp.
The soundstage differences are minor (when comparing to Eversolo dmp a6 master edition's internal dac), maybe that's a result of the DSP inside the DAC by manipulating decays.

bigfanres

Only a note to add the the R26 “works” with the Pi2 Design Mercury V3 over I2S via HDMI. Pretty nice out of the box and connection was easy. Need to play with DSD and PCM NOS, but hearing MQA 44kh over Tidal via Volumio for first time was terrific.

Top Bottom