• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard H16 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Just tested it - no noise.
Thank you for checking!

@gustard, I already have sabaj A10h that can also be used as preamp. Would you please convince me why I should get H16 to replace the A10h, as a preamp for stereo amp and subs?
: )

Noodles

Better build quality and balanced in/out but honestly don’t waste your money if functionality is all you want. The A10h is perfectly adequate.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Better build quality and balanced in/out but honestly don’t waste your money if functionality is all you want. The A10h is perfectly adequate.
In the x16 thread, Gustard was saying that I should not volume control at the front end (for example, don't volume control with my Node2i) and don't volume control with x16. The reason is that those are lossy control. One should use something like H16 for volume control as it is lossless.

I experimented with using A10h as volume control yesterday and indeed, subjectively, I do like the sound, especially when playing electronica music with notes floating in big 3D space. It seems I get even bigger 3D space than before, as compared to when using either Node2i or X16 to do volume control. Of cause, these are subjective observations.....But gustard explanations make sense to me.

As you said, maybe having XLR output (thus potentially less noise) is one reason to get H16.

Thanks!

0mega0

Has anyone been able to find which setting provides unity gain while using as a preamp? Balanced XLR in / RCA out.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Just tested it - no noise.
I just got the h16. Unfortunately, RCA out (connected to subs) still makes big pop noise when I turn off h16. Pretty disappointed....

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Have you contacted Gustard? What do they say?
I think I asked in this thread before and got no response. They did confirm same issue for x16. For now, I will connect h16 RCA to Sabaj a10h, then to subs.

ririt

Gustard, what is the output power of H16 I can expect with a 16 ohm headphone? Please provide the info for both unbalanced and balanced connection.

Silgalias

I'm trying to decide between the Gustard H16 and the Topping A30 Pro to go with my Gustard X16.
From what I have read the A30 Pro measured better and is £30 cheaper in the sales.
But how would it pair with the X16?
And would my old ears notice the difference anyway?
Has anyone has tried the X16 with the A30 Pro? How do they pair?
Also I will be taking advantage of the Preamp and chaining it with my hi-fi setup. Ho do the Preamps compare on the H16 and A30 Pro.

UltraPro

I'm trying to decide between the Gustard H16 and the Topping A30 Pro to go with my Gustard X16.
From what I have read the A30 Pro measured better and is £30 cheaper in the sales.
But how would it pair with the X16?
And would my old ears notice the difference anyway?
Has anyone has tried the X16 with the A30 Pro? How do they pair?
Also I will be taking advantage of the Preamp and chaining it with my hi-fi setup. Ho do the Preamps compare on the H16 and A30 Pro.
The only things to care about is if you want more power with Gustard H16 at 300 ohm and up (balanced) + the remote control. These and the mentioned passthrough are the only essential reasons to pay more for the Gustard H16. If you don't want to go balanced, which will cost yet more money, it is better to buy A30 Pro - it's simple as that. Gustard H16's single-ended output cannot compete with A30 Pro's in terms of power, not even close.

Note: You can get good balanced cables from Aliexpress just around 40 $ for 3 meters, less or more depending on the length. The delivery time is usually a month. Going balanced is not in the end that expensive if you are willing to search for the best deal and wait.

Last edited:

Silgalias

The remote is a nice addition as it functions for both amp and DAC, though not essential.
As for balanced. to date I have only one balanced cable, a 4.4mm IEM cable on my Spring 2`s, I use for my Ifi Hip DAC. But I`m sure I will go down that road once I have the option.
I just won`t be able to help myself :rolleyes:.
My cans are Sundara`s and I have a selection of IEM`s though nothing really sensitive Mele`s, Tri I3, BQEYZ Spring 2 and the Tea`s. Though I was thinking of picking up a set of Tinhifi P2`s once I had a decent amp and I think either of these would do for the P2`s.
Preamp option would be nice though to integrate it to my speaker system.
Tough decision!

dmac6419

Major Contributor
The only things to care about is if you want more power with Gustard H16 at 300 ohm and up (balanced) + the remote control. These and the mentioned passthrough are the only essential reasons to pay more for the Gustard H16. If you don't want to go balanced, which will cost yet more money, it is better to buy A30 Pro - it's simple as that. Gustard H16's single-ended output cannot compete with A30 Pro's in terms of power, not even close.

Note: You can get good balanced cables from Aliexpress just around 40 $ for 3 meters, less or more depending on the length. The delivery time is usually a month. Going balanced is not in the end that expensive if you are willing to search for the best deal and wait.
I have the the stack and it has plenty of power,if you have the H16 get the X16 to match with it.

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm missing something or the pre-amp outputs haven't been tested?
Headamp output and pre-out is usually the exact same power and performance wired to different connectors, often with some extra resistors at the pre-out but that's it. So you can expect same great performance.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Headamp output and pre-out is usually the exact same power and performance wired to different connectors, often with some extra resistors at the pre-out but that's it. So you can expect same great performance.
Thanks! I'm considering it as a preamplifier / volume control.

Top Bottom