• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard H16 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

VielenDanke

I was looking at possibly getting the Gustard H16 to drive my HE6SE v2s, but I was wondering if that would be a problem considering that the HE6SEs have a 50ohm impedance. The specs of the Gustard H16 state that anything under 64ohms could encounter distortion. Has anyone used a headphone under 64ohms on this amp and had great results? I currently have a THX 789 and was looking to upgrade.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
Yea, I just read all 7 pages of the form, nobody answers the questions or was a measurement done of this AMP at 50Ohms XLR in and Out to check the power.

The vendor might have measurements they would be willing to share.

I am torn now between getting this AMP and the SP400. I already have the A90 and that Class AMP coming tomorrow.

We will see.

Last edited:

VielenDanke

It seems that ShenzhenAudio has them in stock. I wonder why Apos no longer has them? I guess ill keep looking for fairly powerful/clean amps to power my HE6SE. People say the THX 789 doesn't do them justice, but I'm not sure if I believe them.

Nitrium

I was looking at possibly getting the Gustard H16 to drive my HE6SE v2s, but I was wondering if that would be a problem considering that the HE6SEs have a 50ohm impedance. The specs of the Gustard H16 state that anything under 64ohms could encounter distortion. Has anyone used a headphone under 64ohms on this amp and had great results? I currently have a THX 789 and was looking to upgrade.

Yeah, same, I was looking at the Gustard as an upgrade to my THX 789 - the 4.4mm output would come in very handy for me. However, I realize that at this point I'm splitting hairs... still hesitating on my purchase (I got it from Amazon.com via ShenzhenAudio).

cursive

Forum Donor

Hey just wanted to say I think you might be misinterpreting their specs. I don't see anywhere that it mentions headphones under 64ohms could encounter distortion. They say "maximum undistorted power output 3700mw into 64ohms load balanced output" the reason they chose 64ohms is because that's where the maximum output of the powerband is. If you look at the pic below, you can see they show power for 32ohm headphones as well, and according to the graphs you'd have about 3500mw output @ 50 ohms in balanced, high gain.
h16.JPG
This actually puts it pretty much equal with the THX 789 in power @ 50 ohms, so I don't think it would be a huge power upgrade to your amp that you already have. But it does have some other nice features that could make it worth it. Balanced Pre-Out, resistor ladder volume for perfect channel balance, remote control etc.

In Amirs review he powered the Ether CX which is 25ohm and said it had more than enough power, and clean output with no issues.

VielenDanke

Hey just wanted to say I think you might be misinterpreting their specs. I don't see anywhere that it mentions headphones under 64ohms could encounter distortion. They say "maximum undistorted power output 3700mw into 64ohms load balanced output" the reason they chose 64ohms is because that's where the maximum output of the powerband is. If you look at the pic below, you can see they show power for 32ohm headphones as well, and according to the graphs you'd have about 3500mw output @ 50 ohms in balanced, high gain.
View attachment 116040
This actually puts it pretty much equal with the THX 789 in power @ 50 ohms, so I don't think it would be a huge power upgrade to your amp that you already have. But it does have some other nice features that could make it worth it. Balanced Pre-Out, resistor ladder volume for perfect channel balance, remote control etc.

In Amirs review he powered the Ether CX which is 25ohm and said it had more than enough power, and clean output with no issues.

I guess I did misinterpret what was written. I appreciate you clearing it up for me. Evidently, I have much to learn. I guess I also didn't look very hard for the mW at 50 ohms because I didn't find the graph you posted. Also, I decided I would get the Singxer SA-1 AMP and pair that with an Ares II Dac. It should be more of an upgrade rather than a sidegrade compared to the DAC/AMP I'm running now.

Thank you for your help.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
I guess I did misinterpret what was written. I appreciate you clearing it up for me. Evidently, I have much to learn. I guess I also didn't look very hard for the mW at 50 ohms because I didn't find the graph you posted. Also, I decided I would get the Singxer SA-1 AMP and pair that with an Ares II Dac. It should be more of an upgrade rather than a sidegrade compared to the DAC/AMP I'm running now.

Thank you for your help.

I recently got the Singxer SA-1, don't get it for the HE6, I have the Susvara's and it struggles to push them unless I go all the way on the volume dial.

I would rec the A90 or the Gustard amp.

Its a really nice sounding AMP, but so far its only been good with my dynamic headphones, the Susvara has problems with it, so the HE6 would have problems with it.

The A90 does 4.8W into 50Ohms so that would be around 4 watt 4.2 into 60ohm's that Singxer sounds like its doing maybe 3-3.5W's into 60ohm's

Inkey31

Forum Donor
View attachment 116040

Yea I dont understand that graph, how does it have less power at 32ohms then it does at 64ohms?

VielenDanke

I recently got the Singxer SA-1, don't get it for the HE6, I have the Susvara's and it struggles to push them unless I go all the way on the volume dial.

I would rec the A90 or the Gustard amp.

Its a really nice sounding AMP, but so far its only been good with my dynamic headphones, the Susvara has problems with it, so the HE6 would have problems with it.

The A90 does 4.8W into 50Ohms so that would be around 4 watt 4.2 into 60ohm's that Singxer sounds like its doing maybe 3-3.5W's into 60ohm's

I see. I have the HE6SE V2s which I don't think are has hard to power compared to the HE6s but I'll take what you said into account. I'm trying to find an amp that would pair well with the Denafrips Ares II DAC. So if you have recommendations over it, the the A90 then I'm all for hearing them.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
When I say the HE6 I do mean the version you have, sorry should have been more clear.

The SA-1 is a great AMP does not have a high enough gain to make those headphones loud enough, my Susvaras need to go up to 3 quarters volume to get loud enough listening levels. The A90 on 3rd gain does well, I don't need to go above half. The SA-1 has one less gain stage. Gain has nothing to do with power but if the amp does not get loud enough what's the point.

I have the Gustard on the way, I can let you know how that one is.

The SA-1 is still a great amp, but it does not get loud enough. The gain is on the bottom of the AMP too. I would still get it and also get a A90 is you have the $$$ to spend. Any of these AMP will pair well with that DAC.

Last edited:

Inkey31

Forum Donor
Has anyone tried the Gustard X16?

Debating if I should garb that or the new SMSL DAC.

Nitrium

Has anyone tried the Gustard X16?

Debating if I should garb that or the new SMSL DAC.

I think somebody mentioned above that the original revision of the DAC had some issues with MQA (or something else), but I haven't dug into the details as I already have two DACs. Might want to research a bit.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
I think somebody mentioned above that the original revision of the DAC had some issues with MQA (or something else), but I haven't dug into the details as I already have two DACs. Might want to research a bit.

on the SMSL or the Gustard?

pimy

The power supply of some high-end headphones is a real problem in terms of the power required (Susvara, HE6, Abyss ...)

I don't think the "A90, H16, SA-1 ..." amps will really be up to the job.

You should look at amps like "Burson Soloist 3X Performance" or "Flux Lab FA-10" which are really designed to power this.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
The power supply of some high-end headphones is a real problem in terms of the power required (Susvara, HE6, Abyss ...)

I don't think the "A90, H16, SA-1 ..." amps will really be up to the job.

You should look at amps like "Burson Soloist 3X Performance" or "Flux Lab FA-10" which are really designed to power this.

The A90 does more power, the Burson only does 4W into 32Ohm's, the A90 does 4.8 into 50Ohms.

H16 also does more power then the Burson, so does the SA-1. The Flux Labs does more power however, the 16W into 32ohms, so that should be 7w at 64, one would imagine. However, there are no reviews on that AMP, IDK how clean or if drops off in power. It says it has a -81db SINAD, which is not good either, but its that bad either.

Top Bottom