• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard H16 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

Veri

Master Contributor
@Veri 'XLR Male to Pentaconn Female' adapter arrived today but after more than an hour of listening the crackle sound infrequently appeared. :(
I think I'm going to send this device to the French store because I couldn't reliably find anybody in Finland, where I live, who could surely fix this amp. It is very possible that the fix is simple, but I guess parts for these modern chi-fi devices aren't that common if some specific parts need to be replaced, or am I completely clueless?
Well yes it seems prudent to have the French store (audiophonics?) repair it. A bit unlucky but at least you'll be fine then, after.

UltraPro

Last word about the Gustard H16 and other Chi-fi to you @Veri and others: My unit also has previously mentioned smaller problem with the remote and it's OLED display has also degenerated so that a big junk of the pixels are dimmer than the rest. All these three points summed; the remote controller problem, display getting worse and the actual issue with the sound, makes me conclude that it is not safe to buy Chi-fi, unless you have a long well covered warranty or the device can be repaired in a timely manner without too high cost either by the retailer or a local repair shop. Some of you may strongly disagree with my statement, but I encourage to not follow these internet reviews and all the hypesters around them - if not for funzies - but rather go to a store and listen to devices there and support your local business that likely offers better warranty service, and while you are at it, perhaps ask about the longevity of the product and most importantly if the brand is reputable. I'm pretty sure, for an example, that German brands in general are more durable than these so highly hyped Chinese products, even though I have nothing against them, but you have to realize the manufacturers might not even respond to your emails if they are not in Chinese, so you will not get help or whatever advice you might need from any other than possibly the retailer (thankfully this forum exist though).
As you comprehend, this is a rant, but I simultaneously want to encourage everyone to support products that are not only about the specs, but longevity, good warranty and support, and possibly sold by a business near you, so any aftersale service will be so much easier - it's a win-win, while Chi-fi is high risk, low reward, as it stands today, especially if ordered abroad, which is often the only option.

Peace out!

PS. I will report once more when I get my amp back, I just sent it today (postage was "mere" 22,90 €).

Last edited:

UltraPro

Hi! In the summer I got my Gustard H16 amp back from repair done by the Audiophonics store, so I report very late, but I think following is important to know for some who may consider this amp: Even though I have made some positive posts about the device here before, my conclusion after all is that I do not recommend this amp due to quality control. My earlier posts in this thread explains what likely caused the failure and the repair cost something around 180 € with postage fees. Onwards, the display has yet got dimmer, perhaps some day fading completely, which I hope does not totally happen. I'm not using anymore the 4,4 mm output, because particularly that seems to cause static shocks when I pick my headphones up. I have since the repair once plugged my phones into it and that time there was a very slight spark, similar what power outlets do when you plug something into them like a phone charger. I didn't pay for a new display nor for checking the connector, so only some chip was replaced.

The service was pretty good from Audiophonics, but the fellow I chatted with didn't speak too good English and perhaps didn't even bother to read all my messages that carefully, but the job was well done. So, avoid H16, I doubt currently sold units are any better, though I don't have any evidence backing this - and Audiophonics can be trusted, but they certainly don't give you any free service if the warranty period has expired; and I mean like two months after that, which in many countries still practically means the device is even obligated to be fixed, because warranty and reasonable expected life span of a product are two different things defined in law possibly in your country too, but perhaps such out of warranty cases should be taken care by Gustard itself, but alas, they didn't respond to an English written email.

Music sounds as it should though and the XLR output works normally, so I'm sat, but avoid this China crap if someone hasn't tested it for long periods and preferably all the properties of the device.

Top Bottom