• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard DAC-X26 has the best measurement result, but can we hear difference?

wyrainer

I have a Topping D10, its price is about $75 in China. DAC-X26's price is $1100.

Can we hear difference between D10 and X26?

If we can't, why should we buy a DAC-X26 with more 10 times price?

Sorry for my poor English....

OP
wyrainer

wyrainer

If you’re going to spend $1000 to upgrade, a DAC is probably one of the last components to consider. Especially if you already have a competent one.

Headphone: sennheiser hd800 and hd800s, beyerdynamic T1 2nd
Headphone AMP: Massdrop THX AAA 789
DAC: Topping D10 and Khadas tone board
Player: PC

noobie1

You might want to try one of Sonarworks products. They have Sonarworks 4 and another product specifically dedicated for headphones. Both offer free demo you can use for a few weeks.

You can use either to create a smooth FR curve for your headphones. I use Sonarworks 4 when I listen to Sennheiser HD700 and enjoy it quite a bit.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Oh gosh man. There's so much variety out there. I would try out some other gear with those excellent headphones you have. But in terms of simply looking at measurements, I doubt anybody can hear the difference between what you mentioned and higher end units in terms of meausurements. Try using some gear with 55 db snr values. Other than perhaps some hiss, you'd be hard pressed to hear much of a difference based on snr.

Now keep in mind I'm a subjectivist who doesn't do dbt testing.

Anyway, the sound I cared for the least was the Oppo 205 though apparently it measured very well. Looking at the measurements, it's hard to argue with how well the Oppo did. But it's also not hard to say that everytime I listen to it, it makes me wish I had something different in there. And I'm lucky I've got at least two other things in my stable to play with which keeps me happy. Right now I'm listening to a early 1990 Denon DCD 660 multibit CD player. Its measurements are guaranteed to be a magnitude behind my more modern Emotiva DC-1 DAC. But guess what I've spent the evening listening to? That's right, this ancient el-cheapo Denon with a tray that barely works because it does something for me soundwise that the DC-1 can't.
So there ya go. I'm not saying some mid 90s cd player is the ticket. Just that, perhaps look around, try some stuff for kicks. The measurements are already quite good on most decent gear out there so I wouldn't concern myself overly.

OP
wyrainer

wyrainer

Oh gosh man. There's so much variety out there. I would try out some other gear with those excellent headphones you have. But in terms of simply looking at measurements, I doubt anybody can hear the difference between what you mentioned and higher end units in terms of meausurements. Try using some gear with 55 db snr values. Other than perhaps some hiss, you'd be hard pressed to hear much of a difference based on snr.

Now keep in mind I'm a subjectivist who doesn't do dbt testing.

Anyway, the sound I cared for the least was the Oppo 205 though apparently it measured very well. Looking at the measurements, it's hard to argue with how well the Oppo did. But it's also not hard to say that everytime I listen to it, it makes me wish I had something different in there. And I'm lucky I've got at least two other things in my stable to play with which keeps me happy. Right now I'm listening to a early 1990 Denon DCD 660 multibit CD player. Its measurements are guaranteed to be a magnitude behind my more modern Emotiva DC-1 DAC. But guess what I've spent the evening listening to? That's right, this ancient el-cheapo Denon with a tray that barely works because it does something for me soundwise that the DC-1 can't.
So there ya go. I'm not saying some mid 90s cd player is the ticket. Just that, perhaps look around, try some stuff for kicks. The measurements are already quite good on most decent gear out there so I wouldn't concern myself overly.

Thank you...

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s very unlikely there will be any audible difference between the units you mention.

There’s a thread elsewhere on this forum in which an 8th generation DA/AD conversion using another well-performing DAC can be downloaded and compared to the original recordings. I’m on the phone rn so can’t easily link it unfortunately. But have a listen to those files to get an idea of whether or not such an upgrade is likely to make an audible difference.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You might want to try one of Sonarworks products. They have Sonarworks 4 and another product specifically dedicated for headphones. Both offer free demo you can use for a few weeks.

You can use either to create a smooth FR curve for your headphones. I use Sonarworks 4 when I listen to Sennheiser HD700 and enjoy it quite a bit.
Oh well fuck sonarworks. Ok for speakers but not for headphones.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The D10 has high IMD that may (I say may) be audible. The Khadas on the other hand should be transparent.

I probabl missed that measurement. Can you link it, please?

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I probabl missed that measurement. Can you kink it, please?

I am speculating by going off the D30’s performance:

index.php

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you have no operational issues with the D10 stop worrying about upgrades.
Unless you need the extra functionality (as described by Amir) like HDMI, AES/EBU and I2S inputs, 768kHz PCM or DSD512 or like the looks better or build quality or need balanced outputs you should not bother.

When you do a sighted AB comparison I am sure you will hear a difference between them (X26 may have higher output voltage, is not specified).
When level matched and non-sighted tested and within capabilities of both DACs you won't hear a difference.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With the gear you have, a DAC wont change anything. A miniDSP might. Get another pair of headphones instead, makes a ton of difference.

Top Bottom