• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard DAC-X26 has the best measurement result, but can we hear difference?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I gave up with upgrades in the 1980s. Since then, any changes have either been for functional reasons, (I wanted different facilities), something failed beyond economic repair or just because I fancied building something new.

I remain unconvinced that with the possible exception of DSP-based loudspeakers, there have been any audible improvements since then.

I accept that stuff has got cheaper at one end, and technically a lot better at the other end, but audible improvements? Not convinced.

S.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Beware of browser-based online listening tests. They can be easily screwed up by the OS's resampler and limiter and getting false results.

Sure, but it is the fastest option just for fun ...

Alternatively, one can buy the X26 from ShenzhenAudio, testing it in his system in comparison with his other DAC for 29-days, returning it on the 30th day taking advantage of the 30-days return policy.
I believe this 30-days (perhaps only 15 in some cases) return policy many vendors offer is of great advantage for us, testing / comparing a potential new gear into our setups is a big thing.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I gave up with upgrades in the 1980s. Since then, any changes have either been for functional reasons, (I wanted different facilities), something failed beyond economic repair or just because I fancied building something new.

S.

That's the reason I upgraded, functionality. Got my current DAC/AMP for the features, not the sound.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To OP: depending on your hearing and quality of amp and headphones you might be able to hear a difference, maybe just in terms of personal preference. If you have some money to spend, and believe that it will make a difference - by all means try better products.
I can tell my personal experience with better DAC (Schiit Modi 3) - it made sound more like water from spring, or you can say transparent, lighter, wider stereo or airier. The difference exists.

Top Bottom