• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard DAC-X16 or SONCOZ SGD1?

consigliere-perroni

I've narrowed my search between these two great contenders and I'm ready to pull the trigger on any, they're currently sitting on my Amazon cart.

I like they're both dual chip, have balanced outs, AES in and AC power port for my own power cables.

I believe they have scored similarly here, on the initial review @amirm made for the SGD1 there was a ESS curve problem I understand Soncoz has already fixed so they both should be ranking almost equally.

As for what I have read, Gustard seems to be more reliable but the Soncoz has that awesome coax out very convenient for me to record MiniDiscs (yes I still love those).

My main use will be for (i) FLAC, DSD and Quobuz/Tidal/Spotify through the USB sent by a Macbook Pro or (ii) streamed through a Chromecast Audio connected to the optical in, (iii) CDs, audio DVDs and SACDs through the coax in from a Sony BluRay used solely as transport and (iv) MiniDisc through the AES port (I have an old professional MD player/recorder with analog, coax and AES).

DAC will be plugged to my all-analog system through balanced cables, directly to my Yamaha 90's preamp.

Which would be your pick?

Last edited:

alpha_logic

Gustard X16 - the build quality on both DACs is great, but I would prefer the large powersupply on the X16, and the better engineering overall. Also, the X16 has I2S. YMMV though:)

CJL

Soundnews actually have pretty detailed reviews on both DACs and it seems Soncoz is the winner. Bigger and deeper soundstage, dynamics and punchy low ends can be expected from Soncoz while Gustard is not as punchy according to Soundnews...

Top Bottom