• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard A18

jumbo

Yes the quote below sums up the Stereophile review of the day.

"The Weiss DAC202 is the best-measuring D/A processor I have measured in my quarter-century career at Stereophile. It just doesn't get any better than this!—John Atkinson"

https://www.stereophile.com/content/weiss-dac202-firewire-da-converter-measurements

Given the review (and Weiss DAC) is 8 years old should I assume that the new moderately price "uber dacs" that I read about here have caught up with the Weiss performance rather than surpassing it in measurements and subjective sound quality ?

sq225917

Major Contributor
Id swap the A18 for a 202 in a heartbeat. I should mention I only ever used the 202 on Firewire, haven't tried the usb version.

Think I'm going to pull the iv opamps in the Gustard and replace them with opa1612, as per the akm reference design.

jumbo

Thanks for the reply sq and confirmation that the 9 year old Weiss can still hold it's own amongst all the newcomers.

I had mine upgraded to add the USB input option but like you I still think Firewire sounds the best.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Isn't that strange that you have to download a driver/firmware update from an alien dark corner in the cloud.
I know maker's non existing web support, but still it's strange.
Their products are very good and attractive, but that's about it IMHO

Not at all. They just don't have a website, and today you can put one very cheap though.

Their marketing "team" trully sucks. They need a site if they want to provide any kind of real support (I can make all that if they want).

About that file I had to look around in order to find it, since it wasn't that easy, I decided to upload myself to my mediafire account.

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Frankly a company that makes good products, top of their line over 1K$ owes their customer's some service.
I know well that they "planned" a web site by end of this year (tough they advertise theirs since long and it ain't working).
Their FaceB page is old and not updated.
Not serious by today's standards.
Probably the main reason I returned my A22, though I liked it ...
Luckily they have domestic fans.

I feel more comfortable with Topping in that respect.
Just my opinion though.

Gradius

Yeah, like I said... their marketing/support sucks in that regard.

Perhaps they want to keep the costs down, but then... that's pretty dumb.

Hemi-Demon

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yeah, like I said... their marketing/support sucks in that regard.

Perhaps they want to keep the costs down, but then... that's pretty dumb.
Bro, don't mix support with marketing. They are completely different.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well, yeah, but if they don't have a website = no marketing, also no website = no support as well (even a simple download section for manuals and drivers).
Not arguing with that. Just to point it out.
Then, does the seller provide any support?

Gradius

Think I'm going to pull the iv opamps in the Gustard and replace them with opa1612, as per the akm reference design.

You mean like this one:
2EeYQ4.png

Btw, someone already did that. Isn't just the opamp you need to change though.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You mean like this one:
2EeYQ4.png

Btw, someone already did that. Isn't just the opamp you need to change though.
There are many options from the datasheet. And since this is A18(instead of A22) there's really no reason to do any modification. Performance is great. Circuit should be the reference circuit.

Ntrax

Audio Company
And A18 with MQA and XU216 as default Oh with Optical for those need it. No brainer to get this DAC

sq225917

Major Contributor
It returns to me tomorrow, well see if there's any audible difference. I'm not expecting any, but we'll see.

Top Bottom