• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Guidance New speakers with old AVR

Nullproblemo

Forum Donor
I was recently thinking about upgrading my 5.1 home cinema system and to switch back to stereo (after moving into the house, I have no space for 5.1 as I'm sitting against the wall, although in 40sqm room). I have long considered putting half the money into electronics and the rest on new speakers. Btw current stereo setup is B&W DM603 S3 from 2002 and Onkyo AVR TX SR805 from 2007.

I now considered used BW 803 D3 and to keep the AVR running for the moment until I have saved enough money for something like a NAD M33 or separates. Instead of buying the NAD with used 804 D3 for the same money.

I will only stream music in the future in addition to TV via Toslink (no headphone amp needed, no analog sources). I considered so many different options but I was getting too confused with the DAC/Preamps/Streamer/Purifi/Dirac discussions that I decided it was easier for the moment to upgrade the speakers and to take time to learn more about all the electronics. Also I would still like to test the AVR on these bigger speakers, than I will borrow the NAD and hopefully alternatives to compare....

The real question is, can the AVR drive the 803 D3 correctly? I found the following measures for the AVR:
AVR measures

The new speakers have minimum impedance of 3 Ohm (8 nominal) and I'm not sure the AVR supports this (4-16ohm) ? Do I risk clipping ?
I have the possibility to bi-amp (bridging to double the power not possible with this AVR) but I have read discussions 10 years ago telling that is nonsense and marketing for AVR?

2nd:
I will probably purchase a Bluesound as a source for the AVR to upgrade to uncompressed audio (currently only using a Philipps bluetooth aptx adapter via coax to AVR) with Tidal , Quobuz or Deezer Hifi. I don't care about MQA. I could go for a better DAC but to be honest my subjective impression is that the family can handle a Bluesound much easier than an Okto Research with Volumnio or other good DACs with limited or no streamer at all. I would love to see any alternatives to a NAD M33 (I prefer when there is at least a minimum of competition in the market) or something like an RME DAC with all the capabilities of a Bluesound streamer.

The question is shall I use the internal DACs of the AVR, 24bit/192khz Burr Brown 1792 (for each channel) or the new Dac in the Bluesound? I guess that if I want to bypass the AVR DAC I just have to choose one of the many analog inputs with an RCA cable (except Phono of course)

Not important but helpful for my own understanding, my AVR is heating a lot and I kept in my mind that it is still a Class A amplifier, can anybody confirm this ? I couldn't find anything in the manual, except a power consumption rating of 870W (or 9.5A for US) or this already a Class A/B ?

I've learned a lot last weeks, don't hesitate to use technical language when responding, even though I'm not capable of using technical terms myself in a foreign language. If people tell me my plan is complete nonsense I can change it but first I need to understand why. I know the importance of room correction, and Dirac vs my old Audyssey is not comparable. But for the moment I would feel sad to replace the AVR before even having used and tested it correctly.

Thanks guys for all the help you are providing here !!!

OP
N

Nullproblemo

Forum Donor
Push

Can somebody help me out with the impedance matching of the AVR and 803 D3 ?

Top Bottom