• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gryphon Ethos CD player-D/A processor | Review & Measurements - Stereophile

North_Sky

Major Contributor
https://www.stereophile.com/content/gryphon-ethos-cd-player-da-processor

1219gryp.2.jpg

"Includes two 32-bit/768kHz ES9038PRO Sabre DAC chips—one for each channel—with each holding eight individual DAC chips; offers optional upsampling to either 24/384 PCM or DSD128; and decodes up to 32/384 PCM and quadruple DSD (DSD512) via its USB input, or up to 24/192 (and no DSD) via AES/EBU or S/PDIF. It does not decode MQA or the high-resolution layer of an SACD disc, and it has no Ethernet port."

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Very pretty!

I was just going to say ... "cute".
The display looks cool ...

1219gryp.display.jpg

It is not a high end multichannel/multilayer Universal player (no HDMI connection).
It's an ultra high end stereo CD player with Digital to Analog Processing.

It "almost" resembles a platine turntable in a triangular shape instead of the bland standard square design.

"Aspects of its styling are eye-catching and resolutely retro: Its strikingly lit, top-loading disc mechanism resembles an LP platter, access to which is gained by lifting a tonearm-like handle. The gold-plated puck that holds the CD in place (as on most or all toploaders) evokes nothing so much as a CD record weight."

Eirikur

Price: $39,000. Warranty: 3 years workmanship and materials, 2 years on laser and movable parts. Nontransferable.

Gotta be honest here, looks a bit like a space-age ultrasonic cleaner... fortunately not my taste, though the display is rather nice.

Thermionics

My wife is explaining we can buy it and put in the angle of the room.

Pair it up with a Manley Labs Stingray II and a pair of Klipschorns and you are set for your corner system!

Attachments

• 1576792402822.png
    1576792402822.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 296

cjfrbw

"Best digital I've ever heard next to the Topping D50!"

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SINAD spec > 80 dB (THD+N < 0.01%) @ 0dBFS. Confirmed by measurement to be a little less than 80 dB (the 3rd harmonic alone is at -80 dB, and there are more distortion components and some PS noise). Ooops.:oops:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Futuristic design for playback of deprecated media! Thankfully its not $40K, so this is totally worth it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$39k seems an awful lot to pay for a nice display and a corner friendly form factor...... A bit odd they didn't build it as a universal disc spinner as I find blu ray audio discs great for classical music.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I quite like top loading CD players but the "puck" to clamp the disc must be automatically put in place by closing the lid.
It is easy to forget a separate puck...

Juhazi

Major Contributor
diablo-120-corner-970x510px.jpg
---Their Diablo 120 dual mono zero-feedback classAB costs only $11200 and measures like this... No awful hash like the classD amps?

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/inde...o-designs-diablo-120-integrated-amplifier-dac
"The Diablo 120 sounded, in a word, engaging. The hallmark of a great component is the level of involvement with the music it makes possible, and the degree to which it grabs your attention."

https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/wzmacniacze-stereo/3145-gryphon-diablo-120
"Gryphon Diablo 120 to nie jest wzmacniacz, który musimy odpowiednim materiałem sprawdzić. Praktycznie przy każdej płycie pokazywał swoje największe atuty - siłę, żywość, emocje, nie żałował ich, nie trzymał w zanadrzu, z wyniosłością wielu urządzeń, które nie "spoufalają" się ze słabymi realizacjami, sugerując nam nawet, że w ich towarzystwie, z ich pomocą, w ogóle nie powinniśmy ich słuchać. Diablo nie cyzeluje i nie miareczkuje, zdecydowanie wkracza z muzyką. " (Diablo does not chisel and titrate, definitely comes with music.)

58078-gryphon-diablo-120-lab3.jpg

58076-gryphon-diablo-120-lab1.jpg

Last edited:

Panelhead

Forum Donor
The power vs THD shows the “knee” at about 25% of output power. This is unusual, normally it is close to rated power and the curve is much steeper.
This unit is nice looking. Wish what I build looked this good.

Top Bottom