• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ground loops and powered speakers.

TNPFan

After trying several configurations, I believe I have traced my issue to the Oppo UDP-205 DVD/CD player. I am thinking it is just something with Oppo decks in general because I also have an Oppo UDP-203 and it does the same thing. When I use the cheater plug on either of the Oppo decks, the hum is significantly reduced. I have sent an email to Oppo customer service asking for their input and whether or not this is a known issue.

A big "Thank You!" to everyone who has taken time to lend your expertise and offer ideas.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
After trying several configurations, I believe I have traced my issue to the Oppo UDP-205 DVD/CD player. I am thinking it is just something with Oppo decks in general because I also have an Oppo UDP-203 and it does the same thing. When I use the cheater plug on either of the Oppo decks, the hum is significantly reduced. I have sent an email to Oppo customer service asking for their input and whether or not this is a known issue.

A big "Thank You!" to everyone who has taken time to lend your expertise and offer ideas.
Glad to hear you have made good progress. There is no one solution for ground loop problems and often lots of trial and error is required.

TNPFan

Happy to report I found a suitable solution. Turns out both of my Oppo players both have ground loop issues - at least, they do in my system. I found a ground loop isolator online, gave it a try and problem solved. It works so well that the skeptic in me disconnected and reconnected everything a couple of times just to make sure it really works, and it does. Here is a link for more info on the device just in case anyone else is having a similar issue. (Hopefully, I am allowed to post URLs.)

Again, I want to thank everyone for their input, patience and tenacity to help me find a solution. Much appreciated!

norcalscott

Forum Donor
FYI - I had an issue with a Polk powered sub and ground loop / hum when I moved the installation location. I took a chance on this product and am happy to report that it solved the issues completely and didn't seem to affect the sound quality:
InstallGear Ground Loop Isolator Amp Noise Filter
by RisingSteel Brands
Learn more:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Y5DLBB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_22MAJWN4A1WQ2JS7A29Y

At $10 this is a cheap solution for those applications in which it works.

TNPFan

I looked at one of those as well and decided I had to begin with one product or the other. Looks like we both solved a similar problem by approaching it at opposite ends. Ha! Glad to hear it worked for you. At $10, I may order the one you suggested just to see if there is any difference in sound with what I am using now. Thanks!

Top Bottom