• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ground loop issues from computer audio

Lambda

Major Contributor
Question is how would I go about fixing this issue?
My setup is pretty complex, and I wanted to trouble shoot before I drew it up.
Make a drawing before you trouble shoot.

If you have the drawing draw in all the possible current loops.
index.php

antcollinet

Master Contributor

Now what is interesting, when I was troubleshooting this, I had completely detached the PC from all connections except Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor and power cable. ...

If you are convinced the PC is the source of the noise, then it is inducing the currents in the audio ground loops via EM Field (Most likely magnetic induction)

Make sure any loops are as narrow as possible (Cables comprising the loop close together following the same path), and as distant from the PC as possible. DO NOT have a loop running on either side of the PC.

Also check any PC loops (that can be emitting the field) are narrow (EG power strip to PC to Monitor to mains cable to power strip.) and that there are no audio cables near these loops - and definitely not passing through.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
If you are convinced the PC is the source of the noise, then it is inducing the currents in the audio ground loops via EM Field (Most likely magnetic induction)

Make sure any loops are as narrow as possible (Cables comprising the loop close together following the same path), and as distant from the PC as possible. DO NOT have a loop running on either side of the PC.

Also check any PC loops (that can be emitting the field) are narrow (EG power strip to PC to Monitor to mains cable to power strip.) and that there are no audio cables near these loops - and definitely not passing through.
Thanks for the tip. I'm 100% positive it's coming from the PC as the noise is identical to the audible noise the GPU is making outside the PC.

My cording behind the desk is a total wreck and something I've known needed some tending to. I'm going to replace the PSU on the PC this weekend to see if I can get the GPU to quiet down, and while doing so, I will work on getting my cord management straightened out.

Thanks again,

David

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Thanks for the tip. I'm 100% positive it's coming from the PC as the noise is identical to the audible noise the GPU is making outside the PC.

My cording behind the desk is a total wreck and something I've known needed some tending to. I'm going to replace the PSU on the PC this weekend to see if I can get the GPU to quiet down, and while doing so, I will work on getting my cord management straightened out.

Thanks again,

David
You might want to pull and re-seat your GPU card and also check for loose case screws and the screws that hold your motherboard to the case.
Also pull and re-seat the power cables coming from your PSU. Probably won't help, but it's a quick action to try.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
You might want to pull and re-seat your GPU card and also check for loose case screws and the screws that hold your motherboard to the case.
Also pull and re-seat the power cables coming from your PSU. Probably won't help, but it's a quick action to try.
Thanks for the tips.. what's interesting is I recently totally disassembled the GPU to deep clean, repaste and repad, as I had purchased the GPU used from FB marketplace. After all that is when I started to notice the coil whine from the GPU! SMH!

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I should just add that when I ran my THX 789 single ended with a D50S, I had to move the wires away from my monitor and USB cables. Though, even at the worst noise, I'd estimate it was roughly ~5dB of noise at high gain and max volume. It was really not audible during music playback.

Thanks for the tips.. what's interesting is I recently totally disassembled the GPU to deep clean, repaste and repad, as I had purchased the GPU used from FB marketplace. After all that is when I started to notice the coil whine from the GPU! SMH!
I know the feeling. I just got a 3080 that squeals during high FPS games. Luckily it's just the card, not anything passed through to my audio.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
I should just add that when I ran my THX 789 single ended with a D50S, I had to move the wires away from my monitor and USB cables. Though, even at the worst noise, I'd estimate it was roughly ~5dB of noise at high gain and max volume. It was really not audible during music playback.

I know the feeling. I just got a 3080 that squeals during high FPS games. Luckily it's just the card, not anything passed through to my audio.
What's even stranger is the PC is dual boot with Windows 10 and Manjaro Linux. I don't get nearly the same amount of GPU coil whine while booted into Manjaro Linux...probably a driver issue.

Either way, with the SE pass through from the 789 unplugged from the mixer, the PC noise is now not polluting the audio apart from what is audible coming out of the PC case, which is very annoying.

Top Bottom