• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ground Loop and pitched sound

OP
T

tsine

That is because your phone has no connection to ground. On the plus side this pretty much eliminates any ground loop between your DAC and your speakers.

By far your best solution is going to be toslink to your DAC - though I very much doubt you'll hear a difference between your USB connection and an APTX bluetooth one - except for the noise being eliminated.

What motherboard do you have?
B450m dsh3 ...

HDMI to otpical splitter ? Will it work ?
Use the HDMI port of my card to send sound and with a HDMI to optical converter use it to send sound ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
B450m dsh3 ...

HDMI to otpical splitter ? Will it work ?
Use the HDMI port of my card to send sound and with a HDMI to optical converter use it to send sound ?
Should do - as long as the optical splitter can separate the audio codecs you use. Also check it can pass through your computers HDMI resolution - many are limited to TV resolutions.

OP
T

tsine

How others using a desktop computer active speakers and USB DAC rca cables manage not having a ground loop ?
I know its common to have noise from desktop and usb ,but I also see some people not having any issue at all with the same exact setup.

Its pure luck or depends on some computer components ?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
How others using a desktop computer active speakers and USB DAC rca cables manage not having a ground loop ?
I know its common to have noise from desktop and usb ,but I also see some people not having any issue at all with the same exact setup.

Have you tried rerouting the cables from the ac outlet? If you have anything with switching psu take it away from the pc ac cable for example

OP
T

tsine

Have you tried rerouting the cables from the ac outlet? If you have anything with switching psu take it away from the pc ac cable for example
My psu on the desktop is a 40 EURO corsair psu 550watt.
Also I power my d50s from a phone charger Anker one.

Switching power supply ..... I guess all devices use switching power supply and not linear ones .

I have one power strip . The 2 active speakers , charger, computer and monitor are connected there .

Chrise36

Major Contributor
My psu on the desktop is a 40 EURO corsair psu 550watt.
Also I power my d50s from a phone charger Anker one.

Switching power supply ..... I guess all devices use switching power supply and not linear ones .

I have one power strip . The 2 active speakers , charger, computer and monitor are connected there .
try to power the d50s from a different outlet alone

OP
T

tsine

try to power the d50s from a different outlet alone
I have a outlet near i will try the other outlet to see if fixed anything .
I doubt that this will do anything . But who knows .

Is there any way that the cheap desktop psu makes problems to the whole system ?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I have a outlet near i will try the other outlet to see if fixed anything .
I doubt that this will do anything . But who knows .

Is there any way that the cheap desktop psu makes problems to the whole system ?
Probably the psu most of them are not well insulated but it could be the mobo. The safest is to use optical otherwise try rerouting cable if you are lucky

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

I've never had an issue with USB noise from my desktop PCs.

Some power supplies are likely better than others and I imagine some motherboards are better than others.

Have you tried different USB sockets on the PC? Also, you could try unplugging other USB peripherals, the keyboard, mouse etc. while music is playing to see if that has any effect.

You could perhaps try a separate USB card, they aren't expensive, but it's difficult to say if it will help: https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/pci-pci-e-add-in-cards/usb3-io

antcollinet

Master Contributor
It is a ground loop problem, not a usb noise one. All USB connections will have the same ground.

It's a good shout to try disconnecting any other powered peripherals connected to the PC though.

Regarding re-routing the cables - the first target should be to minimise the area of the loop. So ideally, you need to keep the speaker RCA Cables and the USB cable close to the power leads of the speakers until they get back to the power strip everything is plugged into.

Then avoid ANY of the cables (PC power, Speaker Power, RCA, USB etc) going close to monitor cables (HDMI and Power)

OP
T

tsine

It is a ground loop problem, not a usb noise one. All USB connections will have the same ground.

It's a good shout to try disconnecting any other powered peripherals connected to the PC though.

Regarding re-routing the cables - the first target should be to minimise the area of the loop. So ideally, you need to keep the speaker RCA Cables and the USB cable close to the power leads of the speakers until they get back to the power strip everything is plugged into.

Then avoid ANY of the cables (PC power, Speaker Power, RCA, USB etc) going close to monitor cables (HDMI and Power)
Cab you explain it a little more I didn't get it

OP
T

tsine

I tried many routing . with different power strip with unplugging the monitor power... having the dac on another power line ......power the dac over powerbank .....The problem is obviously the computer

I managed to convince my friend to bring his desktop over my house . Swapped out desktops and his desktop on the same setup makes a very small buzzing sound that goes away immediately when using ifi defender plus.

His computer has a plastic casing ...mine is all aluminum (is this something that plays any role on noise ?)

Specs are similar in a way . He has a gpu and a amd processor

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I tried many routing . with different power strip with unplugging the monitor power... having the dac on another power line ......power the dac over powerbank .....The problem is obviously the computer

I managed to convince my friend to bring his desktop over my house . Swapped out desktops and his desktop on the same setup makes a very small buzzing sound that goes away immediately when using ifi defender plus.

His computer has a plastic casing ...mine is all aluminum (is this something that plays any role on noise ?)

Specs are similar in a way . He has a gpu and a amd processor
My old pc does the same with alu case. just use optical fiber connection

OP
T

tsine

My old pc does the same with alu case. just use optical fiber connection
Yeah . For know i will change my mobo to get one with optical output.
2 in 1. New / better motherboard and better sound without noise .

I decided is a better choice overall (compared to getting an outdated old pci express sound card with optical out) what do you think ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I would put the PCI card in. Much less work - and unless the new Mobo offers you something real, there is no need for all that stripdown.

Plus your motherboard already has spdif on it. Just get a cheap optical interface for that.

OP
T

tsine

I would put the PCI card in. Much less work - and unless the new Mobo offers you something real, there is no need for all that stripdown.

Plus your motherboard already has spdif on it. Just get a cheap optical interface for that.
I will have to buy an adapter like that outside Greece I guess maybe Germany .. UK I will pay import taxes 90%

Chrise36

Major Contributor
No need to change the mobo buy the spdif card or the xonar as it is similar price 28 eur from amazon germany for the pci card vs 39 for the xonar locally

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I will have to buy an adapter like that outside Greece I guess maybe Germany .. UK I will pay import taxes 90%
Was just showing the sort of thing to get. I'm sure you can get it in Germany also.

EDIT - but that particular one is located in China anyway - so possibly also subject to taxes in Greece. (It is also available on the German EBAY - but still from China)

Last edited:
Top Bottom