• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grimm?

ferrellms

Any thoughts/reviews/experience on the Grimm speakers? Alpha Audio did a comparison of the LS1be with D&D 8C and ATC. The audio was included and sounded very clean. IMHO, the 8C made the ATC sound colored, and the LS1be made the 8C sound colored. (Let us ignore any price differences, please, not relevant.) They also did one where the Grimm LS1a (much cheaper) was compared with 8C and ATC. Once again, the Grimm came out on top, I thought.

So, here is a speaker line comparable to some of the best monitors out there.

Thoughts or experiences?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Had all three here, both make the ATCs sound a little coloured , but well you need to hear the Dutch pair,
Keith

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In my humble opinion, they sharply exaggerated the price of subwoofers. If I good remember circa €8500.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If I remember when first released you could buy the LS1s without subs, but obviously no real extension, we always had the subs, latterly the motional feedback designs which seemed ok, just Grimms prices rose so steeply after the oligarch market I suppose.
Keith

NYfan2

Forum Donor
I heard the Grimm LS1 BE twice now in different rooms and there was a big size difference between the rooms. Both times I was very impressed, very clean sound.
Nowadays they advice not to place the base units under the speaker but to find the best location in the room. Price is crazy.

I have never heard the Dutch & Dutch 8C so I cannot compare, I can only compare to KII three, although I was vey impressed with the Grimm I preferred the KII three but that's just my subjective opinion.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I prefer the Kii too, Bruno Putzeys designed both of course , the LS1 was his first design and when he offered the prototype Kii to Grimm they turned it down, Kii Audio was born.
Keith

Morpheus

Forum Donor
If I remember when first released you could buy the LS1s without subs, but obviously no real extension, we always had the subs, latterly the motional feedback designs which seemed ok, just Grimms prices rose so steeply after the oligarch market I suppose.
Keith
I may be wrong here, but what do the digital feedback Grimms offer that two Rythmik motional feedback subs do not, at a fraction of the price..? ( out of the box Integration, notwithstanding, I mean in pure sound quality..
That Alpha Audio comparo is deeply flawed, not even with no absolute accurate level matching for starters.. But on those and other clips, the Grimm is in a class of its own for accuracy, by far my favorite. DD 8c always sounds a bit thick and boomy in the bass. ATC is a gravy overindulgence, a bit too much richness down low but not as boomy and congested as the DD, and effortlessly powerfull, and the treble lacks the clariy of the others, particularily the Grimms be. But, those mids are very real, meaty sounding, the best... Crazy price on the Grimms alas..

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I may be wrong here, but what do the digital feedback Grimms offer that two Rythmik motional feedback subs do not, at a fraction of the price..? ( out of the box Integration, notwithstanding, I mean in pure sound quality..
That Alpha Audio comparo is deeply flawed, not even with no absolute accurate level matching for starters.. But on those and other clips, the Grimm is in a class of its own for accuracy, by far my favorite. DD 8c always sounds a bit thick and boomy in the bass. ATC is a gravy overindulgence, a bit too much richness down low but not as boomy and congested as the DD, and effortlessly powerfull, and the treble lacks the clariy of the others, particularily the Grimms be. But, those mids are very real, meaty sounding, the best... Crazy price on the Grimms alas..
I'd never pay $25K for an 8 inch 2-way

Reactions: MAB

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Very good speakers, and very high WAF - I think so ;)
They were never an easy sell in terms of WAF, I think every pair we sold, not that we sold that many, went into dedicated listening rooms.
I can only think of one shared room and David has a very understanding partner.
Keith

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
I prefer the Kii too, Bruno Putzeys designed both of course , the LS1 was his first design and when he offered the prototype Kii to Grimm they turned it down, Kii Audio was born.
Keith
Any thoughts on d&d 8c vs kii three bxt?

I'm gravitating more towards 8c because of price.
Is the additional money worth it? My listening space won't be big even though it's going to be dedicated room.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Unless you are forced to sit a long way away or enjoy listening at literally deafening levels I would go for the 8Cs.
Espically if you can utilise ‘Roon Ready’ or the new Bacch feature they are the most complete loudspeaker, parameters set by amp no need for an expensive remote etc etc in my humble opinion.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The 8Cs have better more profound bass than the Kiis adding the BXt only extends the Kiis bass response by a few dB they already have great extension the BXTs do significantly lower the distortion measurements though, having said the Kiis limit bass driver excursion so you never hear distortion .
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They are both super loudspeakers ideally you should listen to both side by side and then if you can handle the real state the Sigberg Mantas .
Keith

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
Thanks I'll definitely try both when me and mey room are ready (and my wallet).

Bacch is another thing that I'll try next so 8c seems to be perfect and I can add subs later.

Littletycoon

They were never an easy sell in terms of WAF, I think every pair we sold, not that we sold that many, went into dedicated listening rooms.
I can only think of one shared room and David has a very understanding partner.
Keith
The ls1(be) was the only one my wife allowed me to have/buy (comparing with blade, b&o 50, really any other box shaped floorstander, I showed >50), next to b&0 20. The b&o 20 went off the list after reading the review here on asr. I really had my eyes on the blades

Top Bottom