• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grimani Systems Rixos-L Review (Active DSP Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 90 51.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 21 12.0%

• Total voters

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the theaters that host these speakers are quite high-end and very expensive. It is for people who want the best and
Still have almost 2% of THD at 1 Khz 96 Db-m.
I'd like to remind that even with huge discount they are competing with 8361A.

Andysu

Major Contributor
That's nothing. We (Madrona Digital) have done a number of theaters that cost $300,000+. A projector alone may be $100K.
a junk digital projector that won't even do ten years at a cinema before hardware/software phases out and it ends up on ebay cheaply and no one would even touch it with barge pole . 35/70 projectors made decades ago was built to last and when maintained and kept cleaned and serviced have been in cinemas way longer than this 4/8k rubbish . then i don't care , i no longer go near a cinema anymore , cinema was dead the moment star wars 1999 was using DLP cinema was doomed from that day on .

video projectors have been around since the moon landings and in home cinemas since 1970's in few then a bit more during the 80's and much more in the 90's . then cinemas started to use them the digital cameras to make film budget cheaper yet picture quality is rubbish compared to actual film which is costly . cinema film industry wanted it cheaper so how comes the rubbish digital projectors cost 10 times more than a 35/70 projector then huh ?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a pretty serious room and installation. I would not know where to start with such a complex contract/job. Do you have draftspeople making mock ups and diagrams too?
But why would you start? Are you a qualified HT installer? :)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
a junk digital projector that won't even do ten years at a cinema before hardware/software phases out and it ends up on ebay cheaply and no one would even touch it with barge pole . 35/70 projectors made decades ago was built to last and when maintained and kept cleaned and serviced have been in cinemas way longer than this 4/8k rubbish . then i don't care , i no longer go near a cinema anymore , cinema was dead the moment star wars 1999 was using DLP cinema was doomed from that day on .

video projectors have been around since the moon landings and in home cinemas since 1970's in few then a bit more during the 80's and much more in the 90's . then cinemas started to use them the digital cameras to make film budget cheaper yet picture quality is rubbish compared to actual film which is costly . cinema film industry wanted it cheaper so how comes the rubbish digital projectors cost 10 times more than a 35/70 projector then huh ?
I don't like cats either but I will look after my neighbours' cats when they are away.

Andysu

Major Contributor
these speakers are they $8k per speaker ?

Bartl007

Still have almost 2% of THD at 1 Khz 96 Db-m.
I'd like to remind that even with huge discount they are competing with 8361A.
The reason why that genelec speaker (and most active monitors) aren't competitors to this speaker, is the inability to rack mount the amplification/DSP. Genelec does have the S360 monitor with the ability to remotely rack mount the amp/electronic components, but I'm not aware of any other models in their modern line with that feature.

While having large active monitors for the LCR behind a projection screen is relatively easy (ability to conceal the required mains power outlets), It becomes quite a challenge in multichannel configurations when each of the 8-12 timbre matched surround speakers requires it's own power outlet in strange places on the walls/in-ceiling,etc.

Andysu

Major Contributor
And you'll get a DSP amp thrown in for free ;)
oh , sort like when i go chez fred's fish and chips restaurant with extra chips free on the house thrown in .

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
While having large active monitors for the LCR behind a projection screen is relatively easy (ability to conceal the required mains power outlets), It becomes quite a challenge in multichannel configurations when each of the 8-12 timbre matched surround speakers requires it's own power outlet in strange places on the walls/in-ceiling,etc.
1) when we talk about some i.e. 7.x.4 HT based on The Ones, I suppose some preliminary planning and adding conduits and power outlets is possible
2) I see no big difference between laying 2-3 pairs of speaker cable and power cable + balanced cable, just price
3) my main idea is such: if you go into the low-high-end price bracket (and our case is exactly not a mid-fi) and brave enough to be measured independently, your measurable performance must be flawless.
At least on par with cheaper competitor.
Otherwise you must be ready for criticism.

unknownuser

First time I see third party detailed measurements of Grimani speakers. I’m curious how Procella compare to this, probably the only home theater speakers that don’t have much measurements online. This Grimani and the JBL Synthesis SCL are not that impressive at all, at least the reviewed SCL-7

Bartl007

First time I see third party detailed measurements of Grimani speakers. I’m curious how Procella compare to this, probably the only home theater speakers that don’t have much measurements online. This Grimani and the JBL Synthesis SCL are not that impressive at all, at least the reviewed SCL-7
Would love to see Triad measurements as well. Seems a favorite in the CI world, but not sure if it's because they are good speakers, or if the margins are just that good!

Andysu

Major Contributor
personally myself grimani speakers wouldn't be my first or last choice . they not been used in actual cinema . wouldn't touch them . JBL synthesis not even been used in actual cinema overrated overpriced . i keep the JBL professional cinema PA speakers , at least they where cheap used in good working order . look at all the synthesis on ebay , hardly anyone is touching them .

Bartl007

personally myself grimani speakers wouldn't be my first or last choice . they not been used in actual cinema . wouldn't touch them . JBL synthesis not even been used in actual cinema overrated overpriced . i keep the JBL professional cinema PA speakers , at least they where cheap used in good working order . look at all the synthesis on ebay , hardly anyone is touching them .
It's my understanding that JBL pro and Meyer sound are two of the favorites most often used for many of the dub stages/mixing/ mastering facilities where content is created -especially out in California where both companies are headquartered.

That's the direction I went (JBL pro) as I'm too cheap to pony up for Meyer sound blue horns ($$$$). :pThere's actually a member on this board that uses my speakers at "work" mixing content for Disney, so hopefully I'm hearing what I'm supposed to be hearing, all things considered!

Andysu

Major Contributor
1) when we talk about some i.e. 7.x.4 HT based on The Ones, I suppose some preliminary planning and adding conduits and power outlets is possible
2) I see no big difference between laying 2-3 pairs of speaker cable and power cable + balanced cable, just price
3) my main idea is such: if you go into the low-high-end price bracket (and our case is exactly not a mid-fi) and brave enough to be measured independently, your measurable performance must be flawless.
At least on par with cheaper competitor.
Otherwise you must be ready for criticism.
i doubt dub stages are ref standard , nor are the cinemas . the rooms are not all built the same . therefore the measurements will never be the same .
i personally do not care about cinemas anymore or the atmos mixes that sound rubbish with overhead .
THX cinemas never all sounded felt the same .
all the new cinemas like typical small cinemas should have been same dimensions and build as at skywalker sound THX . too late for that now . THX ltd "razer" is no longer relevant . THX ultimate, i was thinking getting plane ride to just watch movie then fly back right after , yeah , that's expensive to watch a movie . but the hype with THX westwood village ? is it worth it and that is old cinema like Empire Leicester Square that had echo . the warner west end , was THX rubbish sounded felt nothing like Empire . UCI high wycombe had bass that pressed so hard against my body for cinema built from ground up , yet the sizes of all these THX cinemas wasn't the same therefore they all sounded/felt different ?

anyone's home theatre cinema isn't gonna be the same . there is no standard or reference that exists . does each can of coke cola have the exact same drink measured in ml ?theoretically it should ?

anyway THX is dead in the uk , half dead in europe and maybe almost dead in usa .

unknownuser

Would love to see Triad measurements as well. Seems a favorite in the CI world, but not sure if it's because they are good speakers, or if the margins are just that good!
Yeah that’s rare too, bummer that we don’t have Triad in Europe, would be a great option.
Seems to me a little bit of cash grab, I really like Anthony Grimani when he’s talking about room acoustics but he’s a salesman when talking about his speakers.

JBL Synthesis is developed for residential environments so of course you can’t see it in commercial cinema :D In SCL-2 they’re using the same compression driver as in the M2 which is used in post production and all Synthesis speakers are using the same waveguide recipe as the M2 so they should sound similar so overrated ? Unlikely. Overpriced? Some models yes. Or actually most, the Pro line is definitely much cheaper.
But I’d really like to see how JBL and Procella compares, they should be close in performance

Bartl007

i doubt dub stages are ref standard , nor are the cinemas . the rooms are not all built the same . therefore the measurements will never be the same .
i personally do not care about cinemas anymore or the atmos mixes that sound rubbish with overhead .
THX cinemas never all sounded felt the same .
all the new cinemas like typical small cinemas should have been same dimensions and build as at skywalker sound THX . too late for that now . THX ltd "razer" is no longer relevant . THX ultimate, i was thinking getting plane ride to just watch movie then fly back right after , yeah , that's expensive to watch a movie . but the hype with THX westwood village ? is it worth it and that is old cinema like Empire Leicester Square that had echo . the warner west end , was THX rubbish sounded felt nothing like Empire . UCI high wycombe had bass that pressed so hard against my body for cinema built from ground up , yet the sizes of all these THX cinemas wasn't the same therefore they all sounded/felt different ?

anyone's home theatre cinema isn't gonna be the same . there is no standard or reference that exists . does each can of coke cola have the exact same drink measured in ml ?theoretically it should ?

anyway THX is dead in the uk , half dead in europe and maybe almost dead in usa .
Just like there are standards for the measurements of in-home loudspeakers (CEA-2034/"spinorama"), There are standards that govern dubbing stages and other professional mix studios where content is created. Google search "ISO 2969:2015" and "SMPTE ST 202:2010" to read more

Agree THX is all but dead with their original intent to standardize the cinema experience for end users/consumers.

While it's taken ~10 years, content creators are finally utilizing the capabilities of overhead/Atmos configurations although it's still hit or miss depending on the content. Some of the exclusive streaming platforms utilize it to great effect (Netflix stranger things, Disney plus marvel titles, etc)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
No, about $100k-$200k to watch movies if you are using these speakers (and the comparable electronics).

Some people want to really feel like they are on the shores of Normandy when watching Saving Private Ryan.
But, they are lacking in the fear of being there. Now, how do we add the realistic fear to cinema?

Top Bottom