• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

grills on or off

grills on or off?

• on for sound

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • off for sound

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • on for appearance

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • off for appearance

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • didn't notice a difference

Votes: 7 9.3%

• Total voters

ta240

Major Contributor
Do you prefer the grills on or off on your speakers? For sound or appearance reasons?

Do speaker designers typically design for grills or no grills?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III speakers have non-removable socks covering their ugly time-aligned innards. I think the speakers themselves are good looking.

Martin

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Grills are always off when I use them for both sonic and aesthetic purposes.
They are always on when I don't use them for protection. I live in a very small apartment, so bumping into the speakers is a real danger.

mansr

Major Contributor
Off for appearance. I don't think having a barbecue on top of the speakers would look very good. Or was the question about grilles?

rgpit

Forum Donor
Depends on whether the manufacturer designed or voiced them for use with grills on or off.

HemiRick

I prefer them off appearance and sonically. (no actual sonic diff percieved)

levimax

Major Contributor
I saw this graph from Stereophile for my speakers.... 4 db variation with grills on!.... I have left grills off ever since.

Attachments

• SF_Concerto_grill.jpg
    SF_Concerto_grill.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 245

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I saw this graph from Stereophile for my speakers.... 4 db variation with grills on!.... I have left grills off ever since.
It's not as scary as it looks. Those bumps and dips are reflections off of the grill frames. If you measure at various angles off axis, those deviations will shift in frequency and tend to cancel each other out. Although I'm sure it's possible to engineer a grill that actually degrades the overall response, most grills will have little or no effect. Or at least I couldn't hear any difference when I had a friend attach and reattach the magnetic grills on my BMR while I was blind folded. This is also Floyd Toole's opinion on the audible effects of grills.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not as scary as it looks. Those bumps and dips are reflections off of the grill frames. If you measure at various angles off axis, those deviations will shift in frequency and tend to cancel each other out. Although I'm sure it's possible to engineer a grill that actually degrades the overall response, most grills will have little or no effect. Or at least I couldn't hear any difference when I had a friend attach and reattach the magnetic grills on my BMR while I was blind folded. This is also Floyd Toole's opinion on the audible effects of grills.

This test was actually my first blind listening test. I had my friend add/remove them and then replay the song. We were testing for preference(not to see if I could hear the difference), so I had to choose one, but it was much more a guess than a true choice.

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My Genelec 8030s have very sturdy metal grilles that cannot be removed. I like this approach: it makes the speaker virtually indestructible (liquids being perhaps the only exception), and it completely sidesteps the question of the impact of the grille on sound quality, since there's no doubt you're using the speaker the way it was measured.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On in my case. I've equalised the 'speakers to be accurate with grilles on, as I prefer the look that way.

Some 'speakers, like most BBC inspired designs and the KEF 104.2, are designed to be used with grilles one. Grilles off is a fashion statement as far as I'm concerned.

S
WIN_20200617_19_48_35_Pro.jpg

RPG

Forum Donor
Grills off (Revel F208) for aesthetic reasons. Interestingly, my artist wife also prefers the look of grills off. We only put them on if there are any younger kids visiting.

Top Bottom