• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grid Storage Systems for Renewable Energy - Technology and Projects (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The holy grail of clean renewable energy: geothermal electricity generation at any point on earth. Full-scale field testing next year. 100 MW in 2026 (1/10 of a current nuclear generator.) Full commercial generation in 5 years.

Maybe I read it too fast, but is this cost competitive with natural gas? It's an educational article, and the company is in my town, Houston. That place is full of people who know how to drill holes.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Actually, I think they do use CL water or at lease that's what they say on Wikipedia. The family best friend in High School had a place in Lucere a block from the water and I would spend weeks up there water skiing and boating on a 8' hydroplane. Sorry to here its gotten so bad.

Oh, it's not changed, but they measured the fish and freaked. The pollution is natural. Or so I've been told.

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I read it too fast, but is this cost competitive with natural gas? It's an educational article, and the company is in my town, Houston. That place is full of people who know how to drill holes.
Ron, they say the levelized cost is driven by the time and expense to drill the holes - plus whether they have to build a new generation plant or not. Best case is $0.02/kW (equal to the lowest solar/wind cost, far below nat gas), worst case is $0.04/kW, ~25% to ~50% below nat gas generation. Of course, no one knows the operational life or practical capacity of a 15 km deep hole; at this point it's only theory. So all will have to be proved out.

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Challenges for the metallurgical engineer(s) are big. With the stainless alloys, carbide pipe liners and a can-do attitude maybe this can be done? I am used to seeing calibrated 20KPSI downhole tools at ~177C and so I'm not sure about what is required at the depths these people are talking about but we are talking within molten lava I imagine in some circumstances. I can go to a hot springs and be within kilometers of molten lava.
The key with this is there is no physical pipe going down to line the pipe. That is a key part of the ability to "drill" very deeply very quickly. The gyrotron process converts the inner layer of the hole to a solid vitreous glass-like material, so it is self-sealing and self-supporting against the immense lateral earth pressure. Presumably once the hole is established a water supply line is sent down and then the steam comes up in the annulus. Also, they only need to get down to 300-500 deg. C, nowhere near lava (700-1200 deg C).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course, no one knows the operational life or practical capacity of a 15 km deep hole; at this point it's only theory. So all will have to be proved out.
Pressures are immense. Temps are immense. Strategic materials will be required like special high temp O-rings. Is the borehole metal lined or is it melted and polished or is it cut to a fine finish...? All related to the pressure at various depths.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The key with this is there is no physical pipe going down to line the pipe. That is a key part of the ability to "drill" very deeply very quickly. The gyrotron process converts the inner layer of the hole to a solid vitreous glass-like material, so it is self-sealing and self-supporting against the immense lateral earth pressure. Presumably once the hole is established a water supply line is sent down and then the steam comes up in the annulus. Also, they only need to get down to 300-500 deg. C, nowhere near lava (700-1200 deg C).
Wow! Far out. So machinery needs to be manufactured. Lots of peeps out there doing it right now in the form of drilling platforms both stationary and mobile designs.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ron, they say the levelized cost is driven by the time and expense to drill the holes - plus whether they have to build a new generation plant or not. Best case is $0.02/kW (equal to the lowest solar/wind cost, far below nat gas), worst case is $0.04/kW, ~25% to ~50% below nat gas generation. Of course, no one knows the operational life or practical capacity of a 15 km deep hole; at this point it's only theory. So all will have to be proved out.
They could make a great sci-fi horror flick out of this. Creatures coming up from the hole followed by hot yucky stuff. Thanks for the relevant answer.

Travis

They could make a great sci-fi horror flick out of this. Creatures coming up from the hole followed by hot yucky stuff. Thanks for the relevant answer.
There is a YouTube video I just ran into recently claiming that they ran a microphone down the hole no explanation on how it didn’t fry or the wire it was connected too and they recorded what sounded like human screams and moaning, imploring they struck, well, hell

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
There is a YouTube video I just ran into recently claiming that they ran a microphone down the hole no explanation on how it didn’t fry or the wire it was connected too and they recorded what sounded like human screams and moaning, imploring they struck, well, hell

Indeed, there is also a youtube video that says that all of the members of the Senate are reptoids.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed, there is also a youtube video that says that all of the members of the Senate are reptoids.
Well, the microphone wire and cable wouldn't melt in the senate. So who knows....... could be a more credible claim than finding hell in a hole in the ground.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The technical challenges are many. But the payoff is immense if it can be made to happen.

Frankly I think the best way to push this forward is for the Dept of Energy to engage Synergistic Research in talks to see if they would be willing to devote some of their scientists and engineers to solving the technical issues. For a fee, of course. May not be possible without adding Audioquest to the mix., but would be well worth it. These companies know physics rules the rest of the worlds' scientists and engineers cannot comprehend.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We don't need a YouTube video it's happening.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
We don't need a YouTube video it's happening.
Thank you, I forwarded that to some friends in NE Ohio whose well water has become undrinkable, pH under 5, full of H2S and methane (you can light the fizzy tap water on fire, I did it!), all due to fracking.

The area is old seabed, sediments under fine-grained sandstone. Water wells live above the sandstone. Gas below. Fracking busted the sandstone.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
That's the epitome of nasty. Headaches, illness and in sufficient concentration rapid death.
Yes, they have to open the window and use an exhaust fan to take a shower.

There are words. They are not nice words, and no, taking a shower with the window open in the winter in Ohio is not for the faint-hearted.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, they have to open the window and use an exhaust fan to take a shower.

There are words. They are not nice words, and no, taking a shower with the window open in the winter in Ohio is not for the faint-hearted.
Is it abandoned? An abandoned wellhead?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. It's due to presently operating fracking and 'fluid reinjection", which the state of Ohio has banned lawsuits against. Abandoned well heads are worse.
I was thinking something is prohibiting process from occurring. We have abandoned well heads au plenty in Canada too. Old companies that ceased existing decades ago etc. Fracking is in progress in gas country I believe. In the north of both Alberta and British Columbia. Money is supposed to be moving for capping/sealing old wellheads. I don't read much about it in the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom