• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Greenwave 2500i AC Filter Review

Rate this AC Filter

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 127 83.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Greenwave 2500i AC line filter. It was kindly purchased by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $35 each.
Greenwave 2500i AC Line Filter Review.jpg

Can't say it is the prettiest thing in the world but I guess you can plug it into AC where it is not seen. Using it with my power strip was a pain as it is large and wants to sit horizontal, blocking many outlets. FYI company recommends buying many of these (5 or so for kitchen and such???). They also highly recommend buying their EMI meter to see the results ($139 -- separate review to come).

Company doesn't make any direct claims about audio improvements but actually goes way beyond that with health claims:
Greenwave 2500i AC Line Filter Health Claims.png

I can't test those claims but sure can see what it does do. So let's measure it.

Greenwave 2500i AC Filter Measurements
Per my standard protocol, I measured the spectrum of noise and distortion in my current AC feed (which powers my entire workstation) using a 100:1 differential probe:

Raw AC Spectrum Noise Distortion Measurements.png

We see 2.5% distortion comprised of harmonics of 60 Hz. Let's plug in the Greenwave 2500i and see what happens:
Greenwave 2500i AC Line Filter Noise and Distortion Measurement.png

Overall distortion+noise does not change and remains at 2.5%. However, there is some reduction of the minor distortion spikes at higher frequencies. Let's examine that with much wider bandwidth going 1000 kHz:
Greenwave 2500i AC Line Filter FFT spectrum Measurement.png

We see the classic performance in all of these AC filters: they only start to do something starting from a few kHz and go up from there. Yet, our "problem" with AC is in much lower frequencies and hence the reason overall distortion did not change with the filter.

Plugging in the company's EMI meter shows a 98% reduction in noise. Specs for that device says it starts to measure at 3 kHz and goes up to 1 MHz so no wonder it shows that kind of result. It matches the effectiveness of this filter, not want we are interested in measuring.

As regular readers know, we don't care about how clean the AC is as the power supply in any well engineered audio device already has this filtering and then some. And we only listen to the output of audio device, not AC mains. So let's measure that using Topping A90 preamp, starting with just raw AC:
Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Raw AC Measurement.png

To give the benefit of doubt. I have expanded the dashboard measurement to 90 kHz (instead of normal 22.4 kHz which is the audible band). Using this wider spectrum, we see a very tiny spike at -140 dB (25 dB below threshold of hearing). That spike is where there was in the raw AC spectrum at -55 dB. The A90 design has reduced this by 85 dB.

Now let's plug in the 2500i:

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Greenwave Filter AC Measurement.png

We see that the spike is gone. The AC FFT showed that the spike was filtered by the 2500i so combined, we managed to bury it into the noise floor. Of course the spike was ultrasonic so wasn't audible at any level and what was there at -140 dB doubly made it so. But hey, we can show that we can precisely measure the effect of such devices well below our hearing threshold. So it is not that we can't measure them. It is that we can measure them and what they do has no impact in audible band (Topping filtering is much stronger there).

FYI, I measured the power consumption of the 2500i and my power meter shows 0.1 watt. Not much but if you plug in multiple, it could add up to a tiny bit.

Conclusions
The Greenwave 2500i is yet another AC filter which only works at higher frequencies, with most effectiveness in ultrasonics. Our audio devices are already providing superb filtering of AC noise and distortion just as well. For this reason, there is no hope of improved performance as a result of plugging in one of these filters.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the Greenwave 2500i for audio applications. Whether it does something for your health, I leave that to your common sense.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how the iFi AC filters measure as they supposedly work in lower frequencies as well.

Edit: they even included some marketing measurements showing 40 dB reduction overall.

Screenshot_2023-04-16-08-07-22-868_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Despite the very dubious marketing claims, it does actually filter. A little. And $35 isn't exorbitant. Of course, we have no idea how well it's constructed for line safety.

lc6

Individual Filters

"Greenwave filters are designed to significantly reduce the level of dirty electricity present on the wiring in homes and other buildings. The less unhealthy dirty electricity there is flowing along building wires, the less that will radiate into your environment."

This implies the device reduces the "unhealthy dirty electricity" in building wires, not just the wire attached to its post-filter outlet.

ELECTROPOLLUTION AND HEALTH

"Since 1990, there has been unprecedented growth of a variety of chronic diseases and conditions in the United States and beyond, including autoimmune, inflammatory, and neurological diseases; metabolic disorders; and chronic health conditions such as headaches/migraines, sleep disorders, fibromyalgia, and fatigue. Fertility issues, reproductive problems, and birth defects are also on the rise.
What is causing this increased incidence of 'germless' health conditions? A growing body of evidence suggests that our increased exposure to electropollution may be one important contributing factor."

So why was this supposed negative health effect not observed in the first ~100 years of electric service (with radio, industrial machinery, appliances, etc. causing EMI) and only appeared in the last ~30 years?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

So why was this supposed negative health effect not observed in the first ~100 years of electric service (with radio, industrial machinery, appliances, etc. causing EMI) and only appeared in the last ~30 years?
Easy. We've become weak and unhealthy. Just listen to old guys: people used to all be built like Hercules and totally manly! OK, not the women :)

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
From this image in your review this is a scam that can have deadly consequences because people could not get proper medical treatment in time.

While the usual audiophoolery is relatively harmless, the claims below are not.

This is far worse than a waste of money.

index.php

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From this image in your review this is a scam that can have deadly consequences because people could not get proper medical treatment in time.

While the usual audiophoolery is relatively harmless, the claims below are not.

This is far worse than a waste of money.

index.php
Dubious as those claims are, they don't actually say they cure anything. Which should be illegal, but I see ads all the time to "cure" tinnitus, diabetes, and peripheral neuropathy. At some point people have to just stop being gullible idiots.

Trell

Major Contributor
Dubious as those claims are, they don't actually say they cure anything. Which should be illegal, but I see ads all the time to "cure" tinnitus, diabetes, and peripheral neuropathy. At some point people have to just stop being gullible idiots.

They will for sure try to formulate it in a way that lessen their legal liability, but the intent is there for all to see. You can guess what I think of homeopathy quackery that has so seriously injured or killed so many.

Medical disinformation is rampant, and here is another one by an unethical company.

But this is not the thread for this, though.

pjn

Solid state electronics! Bring back tubes for everything!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
These should sell really well in Transilvania and in Gotham City

Top Bottom