• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great Record Labels

Wicky

There are a few threads here on ASR covering various genre's of music. I thought it would be interesting to share and discuss great record labels of the present and the past who have helped launch and champion great artists. For me there have been a number of (mainly) independent labels that have had a quality stable of artists and have been a great way to discover new talent in the time before the streaming services AI's took over

...in todays world of streaming and self publishing, what role do the labels now play? how much are they still relevant to artists or their audiences?

My starter for 10, 4AD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4AD, so many great artists over the years

ctbarker32

ECM Records. 50 years of some of the most important and influential music and musicians. Jarrett, Metheny, Burton, Towner, Rypdal, Art Ensemble of Chicago, DeJohnette, Reich, Molvaer, Hassell, Frisell, Bley (Paul and Carla) and on and on.

SoundsGood64

How about LSO Live (London Symphony Orchestra label) for max quality/price. Lots of excellent Super Audio CD titles at reasonable prices make classical accessible to more audiences in a high quality audio format.

SoundsGood64

NPR Tiny Desk Concerts outstanding for emerging talent and have given artists a venue in a time with fewer live performances.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
How about LSO Live (London Symphony Orchestra label) for max quality/price. Lots of excellent Super Audio CD titles at reasonable prices make classical accessible to more audiences in a high quality audio format.
Nope. Poor recording site generally confounds their technical efforts.

OP
Wicky

Wicky

ECM Records. 50 years of some of the most important and influential music and musicians. Jarrett, Metheny, Burton, Towner, Rypdal, Art Ensemble of Chicago, DeJohnette, Reich, Molvaer, Hassell, Frisell, Bley (Paul and Carla) and on and on.
I was all set to post this before the thread even opened :).

I'll offer Factory Records, so many great bands.
Agreed, two that would be up the there on my list

ECM has to be part the canon for lovers of Jazz (of which I count myself)

Factory Records, a Manchester institution. I feel spiritually close to 4AD, their time was too short

OP
Wicky

Wicky

So many, I'll pick them up here when I'll find the time ...

Thanks for the link, some new ones ones there, I'll likewise take a look when I get the chance

TK750

There are a few threads here on ASR covering various genre's of music. I thought it would be interesting to share and discuss great record labels of the present and the past who have helped launch and champion great artists. For me there have been a number of (mainly) independent labels that have had a quality stable of artists and have been a great way to discover new talent in the time before the streaming services AI's took over

...in todays world of streaming and self publishing, what role do the labels now play? how much are they still relevant to artists or their audiences?

My starter for 10, 4AD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4AD, so many great artists over the years

Pretty well known but XL and Rough Trade spring to mind. They are under the same Beggars Group umbrella as 4AD

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Basin Street Records:

Alligator is quite well known but just in case:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Arhoolie Records, out of Emeryville, CA, a great label for roots music:

Astree, imprimatur of Early Musique with remarkable production quality:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor