• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great performing Pre Amp in a full size chassis?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

probably enough room in there for some hypex amp modules

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DIY Option. Buy the Topping and stick it into one of those

So you can choose the size and look

Sokel

Master Contributor
Now that is an interesting preamp:
-122 db Sinad
-eq and dac add on boards will follow

Would you consider sending it to Amir for review, or measure it yourself?
They seem to to know the old audiophile lesson well though ;):

• Fully analogue

• 2.7” monochrome OLED display​

• Remote control included​

• Modular design​

• Discrete op-amps & voltage regulators

Future add-on options:​

• DAC​

• DIGin (AES, SPDIF, Optical, USB, Bluetooth, Streamer)​

• Fusion Connect (Optimized Master Functionality for Fusion Amps)​

• Phono stage

• Equalizer​

Reactions: EdW

EdW

I have a Hypex preamp here which is 42cm x 34cm x 7.2cm. Would you consider that "normal" size?
The Hypex preamp seems to offer many of the facilities that the PRE90 omitted
  • balance control
  • 12V trigger
  • future upgrades for phono or an integrated DAC
possibly the remote control is a little longer range than the PRE90? :)

Only slight downside is that some preamps offer >4V rms output and this preamp doesn’t. Having said that unless you intend to bypass the buffers on a Purifi amp, for instance, this should not present a problem.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Now that is an interesting preamp:
-122 db Sinad
-eq and dac add on boards will follow

Would you consider sending it to Amir for review, or measure it yourself?
It was sent to me for measurements and review, which will appear in AudioXpress.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
am i reading this right?

OP wants a preamp of a similar cost to a $700 topping

ASR recommends a $50,000 accuphase battleship yamato

I assume you are right, and for that I would like to apologize for my posts on Accuphase C-3900.
Furthermore, not representing ASR but I myself personally wrote about C-3900.

My intention was just responding to the title of the thread "Great performing Pre Amp in a full size chassis" by sharing info about possibly the greatest PreAmp available now.
And I (mis-)understood that OP does not need DAC features in his new (rather traditional? nice looking) PreAmp, and that he already has (or will soon have) an excellent-enough stereo DAC gear feeding HiFi line level analog signals into the new PreAmp.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pma

Major Contributor
Still within very expensive league, just for our info and reference, also Yamaha C-5000 would fit for "Great performing Pre Amp in a full size chassis";

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/c-5000/index.html
The volume pot is just next to one of the mains transformers. I have big doubts about it re noise spectrum. Any independent measurements?

1673097697340.png

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Overseas

Major Contributor
The volume pot is just next to one of the mains transformers. I have big doubts about it re noise spectrum. Any independent measurements?

View attachment 255574
Just for fun, was Yamaha ever proved wrong by independent measurements? Just asking, cause I feel like Yamaha is over cautious ususally.

OP
O

Oski1928

am i reading this right?

OP wants a preamp of a similar cost to a $700 topping

ASR recommends a $50,000 accuphase battleship yamato
I would even be willing to spend a little more than the Topping but yes the accuphase that has seemed to dominate the replies is out of the question.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m considering changing my system around and building a system where each component measures excellently. In searching for a pre amp it would seem that the Topping Pre90 would be a no brainer, but aesthetics are very important to me.

I’m looking for a pre amp in a normal size chassis that performs in a similar ballpark to the Pre90. The Benchmark pre amp seems to be the next best option but I really do not like the look of it. Any other recommendations?

I’ll add that a home theater bypass would be an excellent feature for me.
How about the Parasound Halo JC2 BP. It is very transparent and has the bypass feature. Years ago when I picked my preamp I compared the Mark Levinson No326S and the JC2 BP and found them both to be sonically invisible, but I did opt for the No326S because I preferred the precision of its volume control, the ability to balance various sources, and having more balanced inputs.

I think if you are looking for a transparent preamp there are many options, but it comes down to features and budget.

EDIT: I just saw Amir's review of the JC2. He wasn't impressed by the measurements. I can't argue with that and if measurement bragging rights are important, this isn't for you. I don't think it comes up short in what is actually audible though. Amir did praise the build quality, here I felt the motorized volume pot was a little sloppy. There is no substitute for trying before you buy. We all have different metrics for quality or desirability.

Last edited:
OP
O

Oski1928

For full-size pre-amp with strong visual presence, maybe a Rotel RC-1590 MK II
View attachment 255549
Any idea on how it measures? I have never really been one to care so much about this stuff but after being on this forum for a while. I’ve wondered about how a system would sound where no component brings down the whole system in terms of measurements.

OP
O

Oski1928

i'm guessing OP wants to lose all the networking and dac functions???

i do think there's hole in the market for a good half height analog line stage preamp w/ remote.

Maybe add xlr but it bumps up the price a lot. With all these excellent dacs and streamers I'm ok with no dac.
Exactly what I’m looking for. No DAC no streamer, just a extremely well measuring analog pre amp. (At a somewhat reasonable price lol)

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anthem STR preamp is very attractive, measures well (Audioholics) and a used one should sell for about the cost of a new Benchmark LA4. For me having ARC Genesis has been a major advantage, esp if you use subs. No streamer, DAC can be completely bypassed if desired. HT bypass works seamlessly.

Top Bottom