• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great music tagging apps

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please recommend any music tagging apps you like. I'll post mine:

dbpoweramp- not technically a tagging app, but so far this is the only one I have found that has a wide access to the tagging databases- Discogs, GD3, Freedb and Music Brainz. Since it can access all four it's often just easier for me to re-rip a CD and get tags from those databases than edit them in one of the below programs.

MP3Tag- has access to FreeDB. Using this interface I am a bit faster at fixing tags compared to foobar2000.

Foobar2000- has access to FreeDB. I have not tried additional plugins.

PerfectTunes- I don't think this is worth the money. It serves the same function as MP3Tag and it doesn't have access to any of the databases, it is a manual tagger only. I've tried to suggest that this needs access to tagging databases like dbpoweramp, but the author doesn't think it needs it. I've also noticed a bug when writing tags to DSD Wavpack, this is not present in MP3Tag. Where I do like it over MP3Tag is I find the interface is a bit faster to edit tags with just keyboard.

bakker_be

I'm quite fond of Mediamonkey. It has access to Discogs, Freedb and Musicbrainz, through plugins, there are plugins for semi-automated tag clean-up, e.g. leading or trailing spaces, proper capitalization, detection of different ways of writing the same artist name (& or And, Beatles vs The Beatles, ...).
It's a nice player as well, happily plugging into my MusicIP database for AutoDJ-ing

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I Use MP3Tag, but pretty much only for classical music, which every database gets wrong. For ripping, I use EAC and that accesses one or more databases, which rarely need any editing except for classical.

S.

labdoc

Musichi (https://musichi.eu/) is truly great for Classical and OK for Jazz. It can look up tags and cover art on GD3 (Get Digital Data TM), FreeDB and Amazon. I tag with Musichi tagger and listen with Musichi Player for headphone playback at my desk. At home, my collection is on a NAS. Network playback is via Daphile (a squeeze player) that reads the tags. Musichi also has a ripper which I have not tried. I rely on dBPoweramp.

Top Bottom