• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great measuring headphones...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The pad measurements are ALL done without the filter.
Only the red/green plot above shows the effect of the filter.

Last edited:

martinweiss

Ah, I see! Got it. Thanks a lot :)

I've also been looking at the Ultrasone Signature Pros, the measurements by Inner Fidelity look quite good... However, they are of course closed. Do you happen to have any experience with them?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Only with the HFI780 and the Pro2500

Did not like them nor the 2 or 3 others I heard. It may be an acquired taste ?
Overpriced and not of great (sound) quality IMHO

martinweiss

Thanks. Much appreciated. So far I will try out the DT-1990s. Thomann has 30 days money-back it seems.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Take your time with them (a week or so) and with some EQ.
Try both pads and see what works for you (A pads = DT1880, B pads = DT1990 basically)
Some folks don't like the forward sound/clarity.

wadec22

Personally I think the 1990 is not something I would ever endorse. It's a broken headphone at stock and for the money I think it is ridiculous that you are required to buy/make a passive filter or hook it up to something that can EQ.

Its beautifully built and images like crazy but is painfully fatiguing. I would take the 880 over it any day given price and stock performance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That makes all headphones I have (use) broken by that definition. :)

DT880 is a cheap alternative but is also 'broken' (owned one twice)

wadec22

That makes all headphones I have (use) broken by that definition. :)

DT880 is a cheap alternative but is also 'broken' (owned one twice)

I'm calling physically fatiguing or pain-inducing - broken. Not just an incorrect FR. Lots of headphones out there will not physically hurt you at stock FR.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I know plenty of people that think the DT1990 is fine as it is and don't even use EQ or a filter.
It may be a personal thing.
I have not experienced any fatigue (have with plenty others) nor have I experienced any physical pain.

I don't use it stock (prefer different pads and filtered) nor would I recommend this headphone when someone's budget is higher.
And it IS incorrect FR which can be fixed, just like with HD800 and plenty of other headphones.

wadec22

I know plenty of people that think the DT1990 is fine as it is and don't even use EQ or a filter.
It may be a personal thing.
I have not experienced any fatigue (have with plenty others) nor have I experienced any physical pain.

I don't use it stock (prefer different pads and filtered) nor would I recommend this headphone when someone's budget is higher.
And it IS incorrect FR which can be fixed, just like with HD800 and plenty of other headphones.

I hear ya. I know I've read online folks that like it. Very weird. I'm sure it's physical ear and age differences. Although I know I'm not some rare minority. It doesn't take much searching to find tons of folks with my same experience as well. Stands to reason don't buy without a solid return policy.

I also think stock HD800 is fatiguing as hell but hd800s is free of peak/resonance that causes that for me.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You seem very sensitive to 6-8kHz peaks (I am as well) but absolutely love the HD800 (same for HD800S) both with appropriate EQ.
It is just wonky FR (a nasty peak in these cases as well as overall tonal balance), otherwise they are fine. DT1990 is more 'aggressive' in the upper mids than HD800(S) which also not everyone likes.

One can find people that love and others that hate the same headphone. I remember this was already so in the DT880 vs HD650 vs K701 era and has not changed.

This is already clear from the 'over-rated underated' thread. Some love a headphone, others hate it. Some say this one is over priced or under priced and others say the opposite.

I think opinions on headphones vary more than those of speakers.

wadec22

You seem very sensitive to 6-8kHz peaks (I am as well)

I think you would agree, many people are, which has caused a lot of people to recommend against Beyer Tesla driver headphones and the original hd800.

I think the only real disagreement you and I have is whether it's acceptable for a company to release a product in these relative price points that causes so many people discomfort.

I am glad that some like you have created/discovered solutions, so kudos for that.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am at a point where I would like a different headphones just for fun.. Stax, HifiMan, Sony Noise Cancelling owner ..

Anything? for less than $300 with a flat (for headphones) FR?

martinweiss

I’m curious. What would you then suggest in a similar (or slightly higher, e.g., 1.5 x) price range?

Physical pain was not something I experienced the first time I listened to them. But I will agree that they are bright.

I would be very happy to hear about alternatives.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m curious. What would you then suggest in a similar (or slightly higher, e.g., 1.5 x) price range?

Physical pain was not something I experienced the first time I listened to them. But I will agree that they are bright.

I would be very happy to hear about alternatives.

That would depend on what you're looking for. What other headphones have you heard before and what did you think of them?

martinweiss

That would depend on what you're looking for. What other headphones have you heard before and what did you think of them?

I’ve been using Sennheiser HD-25s for a while (10 years). The main reason for not upgrading those earlier is basically that I didn't know what to look for. As silly as it sounds, especially since I work in the audio industry.
I am looking for a neutral set of headphones with more detail than the HD-25s. The DT-1990s were what came closest as far as what I could read and find online.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been using Sennheiser HD-25s for a while.
I am looking for a neutral set of headphones with more detail than the HD-25s. The DT-1990s were what came closest as far as what I could read and find online.

Sounds like you like your headphones on the brighter side then. You could also look at the AKG K701/K712 or whatever the latest mid-range HiFiMan planar is.

martinweiss

I guess I don't mind bright. But I also fear the DT-1990s may be a tad too bright...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them.

Zensō

Major Contributor
My DT1990 review is now up.

Normally I don't recommend aftermarket pads as often they screw up more than they do good, but in this case there is a good one for this headphone.

Great review, thank you! As an owner of the DT1990 there’s a ton of interesting information there. I’m actually pretty happy with the stock 1990 with the “balanced” pads. I’m 58 years old and a former pro drummer, so the treble doesn’t really bother me (I have average age-related HF hearing loss). I may eventually purchase one of your filters to try out though.

Top Bottom