• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great article on crossover resistor sound

Mivera

Major Contributor

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great article, keep them coming.

iridium.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Reminds me of the Tony Gee wanking about caps. "I knew/saw/changed this and I heard that."
Very funny stuff from the Santa hearers, thanks for sharing, great read.:D

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It's an interesting article as the sound of passive components is something worth characterising, however is just the usual subjective blathering. Subjective testing without any control.

Along with the fact that this was tested with only one speaker, unfortunately it is all rather meaningless.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
HiFi critic has the feel of a college paper finished at 2am before the 9am class; eg. Missing citations and lots of typos. I doubt any reviewer there would have the patience for designing a real listening test. It's also very expensive. I actually subscribed to it for a year. When I read the reviews, I noticed the reviewer's listening environment had a huge glass wall which constituted the frontwall facing the MLP. I also recall a USB cable shootout. It was all very fanciful.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Martin Colloms is a sharp guy in the world of audio. However, the most expensive device sounding the best just gets hard to believe until we do a controlled test. Dueland make some fine stuff, but at some point, the limits of hearing prevail, and Martin is not a young man.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Come on guys, got to get on board with this... Resistors is futile :D

Really though any guys who use external x-overs, diy speaker guys it would be interesting to make a few boxes that all look the same but with different caps and resistors inside. Jumble them about and take a few weeks listening to find out which you like best. Open box and see what you chose.

Have a shoot out with as many people as you can find, mark the preferd boxes...if indeed anyone can tell the difference.

Post results.

Granted not overly 'scientific ' but better than .... ' what I reckon' becoming validated because it's published in a hifi rag.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
You know it's easy to test resistor transparency with any speaker. Simply put them in series with the positive speaker terminal to hear the differences between them. But I know the best of the best being a whole $25, some may need to take out a second mortgage to try these experiments.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Reminds me of the Tony Gee wanking about caps. "I knew/saw/changed this and I heard that."
Very funny stuff from the Santa hearers, thanks for sharing, great read.:D
Haha, that guy must have wasted so much time, yet most of it falls into pointless drivel about him thinking he hears "This or that", in his SIGHTED comparsions....ehhhh

Tom Danley

Technical Expert
Audio Company
You know it's easy to test resistor transparency with any speaker. Simply put them in series with the positive speaker terminal to hear the differences between them. But I know the best of the best being a whole $25, some may need to take out a second mortgage to try these experiments.
Yeah and the larger the Ohms value , the more difference you will hear.

Top Bottom