• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Graphic equaliser Vs DSP (or similar)

Charles_b

I'm looking into room correction and I was just wondering if it were possible to use one of those old boxes known as a graphic equaliser instead of something like mini DSP (et al)?

For example: I could use a UMIK-1 connected to my computer along with REW, pass a test tone through my speakers and make corrections via the graphic equaliser in real time?

The reason for this is that I use tidal masters (it was the first hi-res streaming platform in my country and I have stuck with it), If I use a miniDSP to make corrections, the MQA is corrupted (I don't want to start a debate on MQA lol).

Bonus question: Why are graphic equalisers commonly not used/produced today? I heard it may have something to do with introducing unwanted noise. Do none of them measure well? I did a quick search and couldn't find out if @amirm had measured any? (Correct me if I'm wrong?)

Many thanks,
Charles.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
With room correction one generally targets very specific frequencies that may be just in between two GEQ sliders.

For broader corrections I guess a GEQ is fine. As would be your example strategy.

For an ASR GEQ review have a look here.

OP
C

Charles_b

With room correction one generally targets very specific frequencies that may be just in between two GEQ sliders.

For broader corrections I guess a GEQ is fine. As would be your example strategy.

For an ASR GEQ review have a look here.
I see, so the adjustments one can make with a graphic equaliser are not fine enough?

Many thanks for your reply

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking into room correction and I was just wondering if it were possible to use one of those old boxes known as a graphic equaliser instead of something like mini DSP (et al)?

For example: I could use a UMIK-1 connected to my computer along with REW, pass a test tone through my speakers and make corrections via the graphic equaliser in real time?

The reason for this is that I use tidal masters (it was the first hi-res streaming platform in my country and I have stuck with it), If I use a miniDSP to make corrections, the MQA is corrupted (I don't want to start a debate on MQA lol).

Bonus question: Why are graphic equalisers commonly not used/produced today? I heard it may have something to do with introducing unwanted noise. Do none of them measure well? I did a quick search and couldn't find out if @amirm had measured any? (Correct me if I'm wrong?)

Many thanks,
Charles.
No not really.

But if you are on a budget and happen to either use a computer (PC, Mac or Pi) as source, there are software EQs which are mainly free of charge. (See separate thread. Hint. APOEQ for PC).

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see, so the adjustments one can make with a graphic equaliser are not fine enough?

Many thanks for your reply
Yes. For example. REW might find that you need to reduce 310 Hz by x dB. Now your graphic EQ might only offer a slider for 200Hz and 400Hz plus it won’t allow you to adjust for the width of the filter (Q value).

See above. Software EQ is your friend if you are on a budget.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A hardware equalizer has two main problems. The Q of the filters is not adjustable, and as mentioned, the frequency resolution is relatively coarse. They do look cool.

OP
C

Charles_b

No not really.

But if you are on a budget and happen to either use a computer (PC, Mac or Pi) as source, there are software EQs which are mainly free of charge. (See separate thread. Hint. APOEQ for PC).
I have tried the DSP pluggin on volumio but it corrupts the MQA.
I was guessing that a physical old school graphic equaliser wouldn't do this, but again, I could be wrong.

Many thanks

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have tried the DSP pluggin on volumio but it corrupts the MQA.
I was guessing that a physical old school graphic equaliser wouldn't do this, but again, I could be wrong.

Many thanks
Then don’t use MQA (see the extensive threads on this forum). There is nothing beneficial about it. EQ will have orders of magnitude more effects than any electronics let alone digital formats.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree! Looks like something Mr Spock would use on the bridge of the Enterprise!
I should also mention, the sliders can get flaky in time. Although generally some spray-on switch contact cleaner helps.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are analogue parametric equalizers that usually have fewer bands, but give you ability to adjust frequency, gain and q.

Any new device in series with the analogue stream will introduce a measure of noise and distortion, and it might not be possible to find one that approaches the performance of modern DACs, so it will likely dominate that part of system performance.

OP
C

Charles_b

Then don’t use MQA (see the extensive threads on this forum). There is nothing beneficial about it. EQ will have orders of magnitude more effects than any electronics let alone digital formats.
Qobus did come to my country a couple of years ago, I could certainly give that a whirl (I believe there is a free trial)

Many thanks

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I could use a UMIK-1 connected to my computer along with REW, pass a test tone through my speakers and make corrections via the graphic equaliser in real time?
Yes, you can. But it will be something like neurosurgery with a chainsaw. Typical GEQ have fixed Q and frequencies, and it will be very coarse.

I see only one good universal analogue solution: measure room, calculate filters, apply them with DSP, after full acceptance of results implement these filters in analogue hardware equipment. It will not be cheap at all.
Or you can measure your room, check filters that will be required and then try to find some solutions that will fit the budget and your F and Qs like i.e. few Rolls RPQ 160b.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To paraphrase Homer Simpson, "They have DSP on computers now!"

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's basically an app feature in Spotify and Tidal where you can "cast" from the app to various devices/streamers/raspberry pi etc
I would have to check.

I use mconnect (for iOS or BubbleUPNP for Android) for this. It works with Quobuz, Tidal etc and your local file / media server (NAS). Works great and you have one interface for all your music content.

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
Graphic EQ's are much better for pro sound applications where the engineer is reducing specific frequencies to avoid feedback. You cannot adjust the Q value or frequency on them. I really just don't see any application where they are good for hifi. Parametric EQ (analog or digital) is far better for hifi (and most pro-audio applications). By using a graphic EQ to adjust your system to the room, you will likely do as much damage as you correct. since there are phase problems with the overlapping of the frequency bands. For the method you want to try (UMIK-1 through REW), I would recommend getting an analog parametric EQ. A Symetrix 552E or Ashly PQX 572 could work for this.

Top Bottom