• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grammy nominations and the improbability of 2L

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I'm with Pierre. Pause, step back for a moment, play the Toyes' (one and only?) fabulous hit song and listen closely to the lyrics.:)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
@Ron Texas , I was challenged to prove my short remark in passing on corruption, and then there were the accusations and ridiculing of social science and research.

But you’re right: It’s better to calm things down. Maybe we should ban comments and debates on social issues.

Policy around here is not up to me, but calming down is a great idea.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
America was founded with the intention of promoting opportunity through merit alone and I think all things considered it's succeeding in that ambition. Not perfect, you can't navigate the human desire to serve those they recognise , whether that be racial , cultural, social or family lineage.

It's far superior to the UK in that respect imo.. no data though lol

Last edited:
OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
America was founded with the intention of promoting opportunity though merit alone and I think all things considered it's succeeding in that ambition. Not perfect, you can't navigate the human desire to serve those they recognise , whether that be racial , culture, social or family lineage.

It's far superior to the UK in that respect imo.. no data though lol

America’s history, the principles of its foundation, the rebellion against the (what Americans called «corrupt»...) Brits are extremely interesting. The intellectual work that went into the 1700s revolutions is admirable and we still get dividends from that work.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
America was founded with the intention of promoting opportunity through merit alone and I think all things considered it's succeeding in that ambition.

I agree, at least for me personally, but I have seen so many of my friends and family immigrate here and do well. Folks born and brought up in the US sometimes don't realize how lucky they are. Personally I was deeply affected by the politically motivated quota system for colleges back in my home country. By merit, I was able to get into one of the top colleges in the US, but not into any of the top colleges back in my home country because there were so few seats left after the quota, I would have had better luck at the Olympics. US is not perfect and has many many faults (some of which will likely make me move out after retirement), but if one works hard, persists and some intelligence to go with it, I think its actually difficult to not do not well over an extended period of time.

Its one thing to read books and statistics about corruption, its another to actually live with it on a daily basis. Here in the US, the corruption I see is at very high levels of government and it is somehow also legal which baffles me. It does affect the common folk, but I feel like it has a more indirect effect (don't want to go into details here as it might open a can of worms).

Sorry, I am adding to the off-topic entries on this thread. Can we talk about the Oscar awards now :p

Top Bottom