• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Communicator Review (Phono Preamp)

Rate this Phono Stage:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 67 47.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 65 46.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

Dave Away

It is not only Cambridge Audio it’s performance is under the Rega Phono MM MK3, I would love more phono reviews on British Hi-Fi. Britain make a lot of the High-end class and I wonder if any can surpass the Cambridge duo.

krichard2496

Audio Company
@restorer-john They could have used a PCB mount and screw on connector as any quality manufacturer would...

View attachment 199623
It depends on the power supply topology. Probably could have on the Graham Slee due to their use of a 24V DC switching input power supply. Our units require an electrically-'floating' outer shell on the coaxial power jack, so the metal-collar-through-chassis-hole ones don't work for us. The data sheets aren't always clear and we managed to make smoke roll out of an early prototype for this very reason.

However, note that some PCB-mounted jacks are superior in build quality and much more expensive than those you have linked. The better ones (like we use) also have a detent underneath that matches a cutout on the PCB, for additional strength on connect and disconnect. Our rear panel is much thicker and also serves as a strain relief if the cord is caught by accident and pulled at an angle.

For us, a quality PCB-mounted coaxial power inlet jack also assists in the manual calibration and burn-in procedures which happen before installation in our thick aluminum clamshell case.

Last edited:

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are your views on the Novo Headphone Amp? What headphones did you use on the Novo?

S.
Hello, through it I tested the AKG K553pro, K712pro, Beyerdynamic DT250 250ohm, Audio Technica *M50X, R70X, Sennheiser HD800 and more which I struggle to recall. It is an alright amp during its time, but colours the sound somewhat and isn't ideal for driving sensitive IEMs. I have long since swapped them out for others :)

Michael Fidler

Audio Company
Just checked the Graham Slee website. The Communicator is 188 pounds (about $245) shipped to the states. A little better but nothing to get excited about. I have a Graham Slee Accession for a few years. An excellent sounding MM phono stage.
Could you submit it to ASR for review? I'm sure we'd all love to see how it does.

AndyCat

About 15years ago, I commented on DIYAudio forum about the price of a Graham Slee phono preamp. I don't remember the model but it was basically two op-amp IC's and a handful of resistors etc. on a single-sided PCB which looked home-made. The BOM couldn't have been $30. However, the price was like $1,200 USD.

Graham Slee wouldn't comment on DIY Audio but sent someone to dare me to come to their forum so they could attack me.
Oh dear. Scurrilous accusation and wrong....just wrong.
If all you hear is dependent on 'looking' , why bother listening.

egellings

Major Contributor
Brilliant timing? I'll bet it means pace and rhythm, highly sought after by the 'philes..

Mal

Ah, WhatHifi... Along with Lehmann, Graham Slee products often got shining reviews from them. I used to own the Novo headphone amp
It won What Hifi's "best headphone amplifiier" award three years in a row, a couple of decades ago. I still use it as my main amp in my highest hi fi set up, feeding a Senn HD 650 headphone. Although I haven't looked further, as I've been so happy with this set up, I was happy to treat it as end game. And that's twenty years almost daily use, so it's not only good, it's durable.

Still... two decades... one might expect some advances. Why did you ditch it? What sounded better? Did you do double blind tests?

jsilvela

It won What Hifi's "best headphone amplifiier" award three years in a row, a couple of decades ago. I still use it as my main amp in my highest hi fi set up, feeding a Senn HD 650 headphone. Although I haven't looked further, as I've been so happy with this set up, I was happy to treat it as end game. And that's twenty years almost daily use, so it's not only good, it's durable.

Still... two decades... one might expect some advances. Why did you ditch it? What sounded better? Did you do double blind tests?

I bought a Novo many years ago when I lived in the US.
There was very noticeable 60hz ground hum. Using the PSU supplied by Graham Slee.
Tried both at home and in the office, same ground hum. My headphones were very efficient though, so maybe they were highlighting some design weakness.
I contacted Graham Slee to ask about it. The response was "never heard of this, you're probably doing something wrong".
Never buying again.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Graham Slee and John Kenny must be sister companies.

Top Bottom