• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grado SR60x Review (on ear headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 132 56.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 64 27.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 26 11.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 4.7%

• Total voters

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Comfort & fit - I have a pair of SR225's... They didn't really fit my small head so I added a strip of foam weather stripping to the headband. When the cushions deteriorated I replaced them with the larger "G-CUSH" version (3rd-party aftermarket) and I find them much more comfortable.

I don't use headphones enough to comment on the sound quality and I don't know if the larger cushions changed the sound. (The foam deteriorated from age... not from over-use.)

H-713

Last reply on the matter... Grado inhabits the subjective side of the audiophile market... A market that is driven by myths and falsities. The same way a manufacturer building such expensive and poor performing amplifiers manages not only to survive but to strive... There are countless examples of such in the audiophile world including speakers ( Zu anyone?) DAC ( TotalCrap?_), Headphones ( Grado?), ....
I am off.
Why is the default assumption on this forum that any product that measures poorly is designed and sold by science-denying scammers?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted this as "Not Terrible", mainly because it's not an expensive headphone and can be partially saved through EQ. It's not ideal though as the bass rolls off a lot and would require much bass boost to hit Harman levels which is only gonna worsen the already poor bass distortion of this headphone, I mean it's nearly 20dB down on the Harman level at 20Hz! That is one hella treble happy headphone without EQ!

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Koss porta Pro is king of budget portables IMO and woul loooooooooove to see it measurde.
I think that review is on the agenda and coming in near future.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted this as "Not Terrible", mainly because it's not an expensive headphone and can be partially saved through EQ. It's not ideal though as the bass rolls off a lot and would require much bass boost to hit Harman levels which is only gonna worsen the already poor bass distortion of this headphone, I mean it's nearly 20dB down on the Harman level at 20Hz! That is one hella treble happy headphone without EQ!
It's a treble and shrill monster that gives you tinnitus.

HRTF_Enthusiast

The SR80X is probably close to identical to this. While it had countless flaws, at least it had some realism to female vocals. Better than any HIFIMAN planar in that respect for sure.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The SR80X is probably close to identical to this. While it had countless flaws, at least it had some realism to female vocals. Better than any HIFIMAN planar in that respect for sure.
Bigger pads, so they drilled into one's head more slowly. Same shrill sound, slightly [not enough] more bass.
For cheap, durable, relatively comfortable and sonically okay, the Sony MDR 7506/V-6 is a better deal.

SMc

Bigger pads, so they drilled into one's head more slowly. Same shrill sound, slightly [not enough] more bass.
For cheap, durable, relatively comfortable and sonically okay, the Sony MDR 7506/V-6 is a better deal.
I’ve got both and prefer the CAL!.

Years ago, I pre-ordered an SR60x for around $80 at Amazon. After half a year of waiting, Amazon canceled my pre-order and raised the price to around $200. They didn't want to make the promise. So I missed the chance to get one and had been unhappy for a while.

Fortunately, seeing the review today! Thank you, Amirm!

Kevbaz

I was introduced to Grado over 20 years ago by a HiFi shop in the UK. It’s only in last 8 months or so I’ve tried anything else. The more other headphones I try the less I like the Grado sound.
I do keep going back as it’s a fun and different sound, but after trying some Dan Clark AEON open X today, I can’t see me bothering with my Grado’s anymore.
Kev

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a pair of these when I was a teenager at the hifi store in Harvard Square. I remember being very taken by the sound - they sounded nothing like any headphone I owned! As it would happen, I already had one very good pair of headphones (HD 580, I don't know how I bought them or afforded them) but these sounded very alive and that was appealing to me, although I did find them somewhat fatiguing and uncomfortable. They got style points, for sure.

Years later I listened to a pair of the SR-80 or 200 or whatever the fancy wood ones are; I found them really uncomfortable and the sound was very colored.

I think when these first came out (late 90s?) there weren't as many headphones on the market, and you had to buy them in a store somewhere. Given those conditions, it is understandable that such an unrefined product could get a foothold - you listen to these next to your Koss or Sonys and I can see the appeal.

Kevbaz

I bought a pair of these when I was a teenager at the hifi store in Harvard Square. I remember being very taken by the sound - they sounded nothing like any headphone I owned! As it would happen, I already had one very good pair of headphones (HD 580, I don't know how I bought them or afforded them) but these sounded very alive and that was appealing to me, although I did find them somewhat fatiguing and uncomfortable. They got style points, for sure.

Years later I listened to a pair of the SR-80 or 200 or whatever the fancy wood ones are; I found them really uncomfortable and the sound was very colored.

I think when these first came out (late 90s?) there weren't as many headphones on the market, and you had to buy them in a store somewhere. Given those conditions, it is understandable that such an unrefined product could get a foothold - you listen to these next to your Koss or Sonys and I can see the appeal.
This is a really good point you make, 20-30 years ago there was little choice. And mostly we had to buy in HiFi shops with not much to choose from, influenced by HiFi mags and what brand the store wanted to push.
It’s much better now, way more choice and more informed reviews out there to guide.

HRTF_Enthusiast

both of them are terrible

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Years ago, I pre-ordered an SR60x for around $80 at Amazon

Are you using the “x” in the name in a generic sense? I am asking because Grado’s Prestige “x“ series (that came after “i“ and “e” variants) was only introduced this year, not years ago.

Last edited:

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I have the 125e and when amirm says:
They pinch the top of ear though so I could not wear them for more than a few minutes

I know exactly what he is talking about. They are not bad sounding at all but heck, one of my ears end up screaming after using them for a while, tried different pads with no results :(

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lets agree that they're not everyone's cup of tea and not designed to their optimal potential. It's a niche product with a backstory about a family business and lets leave it at that.

These headphones actually pair well with classical and jazz music and bring out a good bit of sound in recordings when paired with a good source.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the 125e and when amirm says:

I know exactly what he is talking about. They are not bad sounding at all but heck, one of my ears end up screaming after using them for a while, tried different pads with no results :(
Sadly the factory band doesn't help with the pinching and the fit. I inserted an aluminum aftermarket mod from Turbulent Labs and replaced the headband to widen the clamping force to make my SR80e' bearable. OH and changing the pads from stock to G cushion didn't really help with the fit and fatigue of having them on.

HRTF_Enthusiast

These headphones actually pair well with classical and jazz music and bring out a good bit of sound in recordings when paired with a good source.
Being a one trick pony that can't even perform for every song in a genre isn't a "good pairing." Also, the source meme lol.

Top Bottom