• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grado SR60x Review (on ear headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 132 56.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 64 27.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 26 11.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 4.7%

• Total voters

riffmaker

I am thinking. With the two distortion peaks at 2 and 5khz, are they manually pushing the two frequencies up?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
Thanks for the review again.

It happens I also own a pair of the original SR60.
Again, I mostly agree with Amir's conclusion.
My EQ is quite basic for those, and I hardly ever use them since I own the Elegia, but I'll give Amir's settings a try.

Also, in this case, I confirm the statics and crackles at high volume.

But the biggest drawback is the build quality: low end plastic and cable are quite fragile.
It's quite cheap though, so let's say you get what you pay for. Almost.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interesting.
Why ?
Because it is easy. :) I already calibrate the levels at that frequency (corresponds to 0 reference in preference curve). So I all I have to do is measure the voltage output. Using another scheme with noise and such require a different procedure.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Ooo my poor student backside (since a** is probably too rude for this forum) would have loved reading this review.

NHL99

Add $26 and it's a different experience ;-)

I owned a pair of SR60's as a student, never really got used to the treble. Had an Audiolab 6000A to feed them.

Last edited:

Drengur

Forum Donor
I had the 60s back when I was a teenager. I loved them and still miss the sound. They were the most uncomfortable piece of human engineering ever envisioned, the bass was very anemic, they were loud as hell for everyone in the general vicinity of the listener and they weren't exactly accurate. But somehow they were fun and crispy, and came with a good price. I did try the top model at the time (SR-1 or something). Those had more of everything, but didn't understand the price difference. I was hoping Amir would review these, and I am not surprised by the results, but I still would like to have a pair... for fun.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I wonder how the GS1000 measures. I loved the sound on that headphone although it was a bit colored. Thought nothing of the Sr60 or 325 btw. Far too much treble to give a good musical representation imo.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This was my first "real" headphone, so many, many years ago, and I loved it to bits. I must've spent thousands of hours with this thing on my head when I was younger. The SR60 attached to my Cowon X5 mp3 player was pure bliss for all my extreme metal tracks. I know it's a flawed headphone, but nostalgia plays its part so I rated this one as "fine". :D

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Add $26 and it's a different experience ;-)

I owned a pair of SR60's as a student, never really got used to the treble. Had an Audiolab 6000A to feed them.
I had the SR80 and original SR60.
I purchased the SR80 for my son, but he wasn't interested.
I've always preferred the SR60.
Distortion, as far as I remember, seemed lower with the SR80 though.

Kevbaz

Great to see a review of some Grad headphones. Even though they don’t measure well I always go back to listening to my SR80 and SR325e, they are so much fun and bright. But I do find them fatiguing to listen.
They work well for some music more, for me the are great with female vocals such as Enya

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Strange as I don't remember this when I wore them three decades back. Wonder if we develop more pain receptors in our ears as we get older!
Don't our ears keep on growing as we age?

SR60's were my first 'real' headphones - was nice listening to them in the office with my Schitt DAC and headphone amp. Was more comfortable than in-ear for a few hours, and had the bonus of being obvious I didn't want to be disturbed. Never got them too loud as it was an open office, so never noticed the distortion.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I would love to see the more expensive models, as I also doubt they will perform any better. If anything, the treble peak may get larger and nastier.
I would love too as well but your assumption is not correct. Subjectively, never own any beside the GR10e IEMs which are my on the go IEM of choice but they are not really made by Grado, I really do like most models SR 325 and up. I did spend quite a bit of time with them, not sure why I never purchased any but I found something addictive to the Grado sound.I may admit I might enjoy a certain treble tilt, maybe I'm getting old, but there is something about them. To me the SR60 is unlistenable. The higher end models definitely have more bass, not Harman bass but decent extension, I would like to see the measurments but have the impression they roll off a bit lower than something like HD-650.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I used to like the 90's back in the day and liked very much the 325X models when heard a couple of years back - maybe the 'lively' balance suits my hearing as it is now? The slightly old fashioned tones can suit very well for many people I think.

It's rumoured over several UK forums (so it must be true ;) ) that the lower Grado models are basically the same, but with different earpads (maybe the better ones are quality controlled a little?). Certainly one 'upgrade' is to buy the pads from a higher model which apparently 'calms them down' a little. Has anyone else tried it here, or isn't Grado taken seriously as a headphone maker?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Grado is part of the audiophile mythology. They are usually the first headphones any serious audiophile will recommend o he populace... They are simply bad and it seems, all of them including their TOL.
They sell by the same logic that allow the existence of $350,000 tube amplifiers with that kind of measurements:

Frequency Response:
WAVacFIG01.jpg

THD
WAVacFIG09.jpg

Peace.

aandres_gm

I would love too as well but your assumption is not correct. Subjectively, never own any beside the GR10e IEMs which are my on the go IEM of choice but they are not really made by Grado, I really do like most models SR 325 and up. I did spend quite a bit of time with them, not sure why I never purchased any but I found something addictive to the Grado sound.I may admit I might enjoy a certain treble tilt, maybe I'm getting old, but there is something about them. To me the SR60 is unlistenable. The higher end models definitely have more bass, not Harman bass but decent extension, I would like to see the measurments but have the impression they roll off lower than something like HD-650.
I auditioned the e-line from the 60 to the 325, and found subjectively the 80e to sound the best. Higher end models got progressively harsher, from what I recall.

I ended up getting a 60e off eBay for around 30€, but sold it after a few months. Not my kind of headphone

PeteL

Major Contributor
Hi

Grado is part of the audiophile mythology. They are usually the first headphones any serious audiophile will recommend o he populace... They are simply bad and it seems, all of them including their TOL.
They sell by the same logic that allow the existence of $350,000 tube amplifiers with that kind of measurements:

Frequency Response:
WAVacFIG01.jpg

THD
WAVacFIG09.jpg

Peace.
What am looking at?

Top Bottom