• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grado SR60x Review (on ear headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 128 57.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 61 27.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 10.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters

musicforcities

Huey Lewis was "too black sounding"
Hey man, what do you have against Huey Lewis? This site is the epitope of “hip yo be square!”

Okay I gotta go. In the middle of modding my $65 grado sr60e with $100 braided silver detachable balanced cables, $150 titanium ear hooks, $200 illegal rain forest rosewood ear cups, $40 alpaca pads and new $200 drivers. With these mods the grades really sing.

looqr

Hey man, what do you have against Huey Lewis? This site is the epitope of “hip yo be square!”

Okay I gotta go. In the middle of modding my $65 grado sr60e with $100 braided silver detachable balanced cables, $150 titanium ear hooks, $200 illegal rain forest rosewood ear cups, $40 alpaca pads and new $200 drivers. With these mods the grades really sing.
I laughed. It's pretty silly for sure but it's also one of the reasons I like Grados so much (aside from sound). But the $800 I've spent could have been put to better use, not going to lie.......

musicforcities

I laughed. It's pretty silly for sure but it's also one of the reasons I like Grados so much (aside from sound). But the $800 I've spent could have been put to better use, not going to lie.......
Yep the mod community goes nuts about the grados. One has to ask when does a mod no li her a mod but a diy headphone. If one is going to install different drivers by a different company to improve the sound that suggests one should have gone with a different set of cans in the first place. Or just diy it entirely with a 3D printer if it’s a hobby of sorts.

Aperiodic

They were an upgrade to the original 414 Sennheiser's that I never was in love with even though their rep.
414's weren't the best sounding headphone ever made, to be sure, but I have had few if any headphones on my head that were as comfortable.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I am off to play with my SR80's to see if the same or close eq helps them. I only use them for "evaluating" when I was transcribing records to CD as they made the worst of problems. I use my old Yamahammers for music. Might spring for some new ones. Sennheisters maybe?

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I was reading up on Grado mods. What the heck, might as well as they are not that "musical" as it is. I have some purpleheart and a lathe, so maybe new cups? Prettier at least, but heavier.

TBone

Major Contributor
... still use my very old, severely battered, embarrassingly deformed sr80's 4ripping. not a fan of my pro sony's headphone output either, excellent internal parts & design, except for that atrocious cheap noisy volume pot thats near impossible to replace without major surgery (yes tried cleaning).

Anyway, ive always figured they had some issues in the upper midrange, they certainly seemed to have a particular sound. Funny tho, even knowing the above, ive long recommended the sr60/80s, and they were always well received.

very nice concise prose/review, sent your equalization setting to a friend that luvs em for what they are. will b interesting to hear his response.

Top Bottom