• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gradient of Finland

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Purité Audio are delighted to announce that we will be representing Gradient loudspeakers.
Gradient are a Finnish manufacturer, they are known for their transparency and technical innovation.
We will be initially stocking their new Gradient 1.4.
Three way loudspeaker, which includes a coaxial Seas mid/high frequency driver and cardioid dispersion.
http://www.gradient.fi/en/
Pricing is real world with a RRP of Euros 5600 inc vat.
http://www.gradient.fi/en/

Keith

Theo

This design reminds me of the Daleks:eek:. Shouldn't we be concerned that we might get exterminated in our living room?o_O
More seriously, is the coaxial design up to its theoretical promises (that is point source emission)? What is your experience with the coaxial drivers? Any measurements?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The coax drivers I have heard, TAD and Genelec here in my room’s, bother sounded pretty good, although you can’t really divorce the mid/Hf from the whole presentation.
The Gradients appear to be thoughtfully designed, the Kiis and Dutch&Dutch 8Cs have convinced me of the benefits of cardioid response through the midrange.
We shall see when they arrive.
Gradient have been known on the U.K. for their dipole sub which was designed I believe to match with Quad electrostatics.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What is it R2 a message from Leia?

Keiht

Cosmik

Major Contributor
This design reminds me of the Daleks:eek:. S
More like this one I would have said:
curse_of_peladon-doctor-who2.jpg

Wombat

Master Contributor
WAF friendly versions:

101_2771.JPG

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really like these, from what I read. I find them very living room friendly, much more so than the the Dutch & Dutch 8Cs. They're not very tall, and the head of R2-D2 can be tilted upwards, which means that one can nevertheless get a direct line from the drivers to the ear, even if seated higher up. The cardioid dispersion makes it possible to place them close to the front wall, and the driver/cabinet construction probably makes them very point source-like.

A couple of gripes: They are ported, which I think is objectively suboptimal... but the port is tuned low enough that the resonance probably won't make itself noticed for acoustic material, which comprises the majority of my liestning. Also, they are passive, which is an unnecessary design choice. Still, hope to get to hear these.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am looking forward to hearing them, Gradient as a company appear to be objective and measurement led, I sort of agree re ported and passive, they are considering an active version.
I will compare them to the Kiis/8Cs when they arrive, cardioid makes a positive difference I have heard some good co-axials and although hardly cheap they are quite reasonably priced compared to the nano, graphene, brass with leather covers marketing led tosh which is available.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
This weekend Gradient are at the Helsinki Hi-Fi show,

Keith

sonci

I had these speakers once :cool:.
Grundig Audiorama, sold them for a lot of money..

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
From the Helsinki show this last weekend,

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Pricing is real world with a RRP of Euros 5600 inc vat.
Keith, I think you need to adjust your view of the world.
$6500 isn't a "real world" price for a pair of speakers most anywhere I'm aware of. :confused:

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I really have no answer Sal, I guess pricing/value is all relative, compared to $600k shit Wilson’s they look pretty good value to me.
Keith

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm ambivalent to the prices seen in hifi. Most of it is obviously insane. But then there is some stuff that is decently engineered, where the manufacturers seem to charge about what they need to break even. I would assume that these Gradient speakers fall in that category. Still, 6500 USD is obviously a lot of money. At the same time, given that one buys these speakers and keeps them for a minimum of 10 years - is it that expensive then? After all, many people buy new mobile phones every second year, go on yearly vacations, etc. It's about priorities.

Personally, I never fly, I don't own a car and I don't eat meat. So that saves me quite some bucks. But I spend a big chunk of my disposable income on sound reproduction. But I know that there are lots of people who would never be able to spend 6500 USD on a pair of speakers anyway, even if they stop buying new phones or stop travelling abroad.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor
Keith, I think you need to adjust your view of the world.
$6500 isn't a "real world" price for a pair of speakers most anywhere I'm aware of. :confused:

London is where international multi-millionaires and billionaires invest in real estate and make a home away from home. For many, $6500 is less than what they drop in tipping when they are there. And then there are the stock exchange jockeys, bankers, lawyers, corporate 'suits', etc that congregate there. A HiFi shop doesn't pay its London rent selling cheap stuff.

Meanwhile, back in the real world 'ordinary folk' can't afford to live in London or buy 6 grand speakers with additional sub-woofers. Those funny speakers that talk or respond and can be put anywhere are probably 'hifi' for the modern consumer. Baby boomers are dying out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom