• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gradient of Finland

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Meanwhile, back in the real world 'ordinary folk' can't afford to live in London or buy 6 grand speakers with additional sub-woofers. Those funny speakers that talk or respond and can be put anywhere are probably 'hifi' for the modern consumer. Baby boomers are dying out.
Yep, that's my idea of "real world" too. It's sad that the boomer idea (1970s-1990s) of every house having a good Hi Fi died the way it did. I remember when there were 3-4 blue collar Stereo shops right in the neighborhood and if I wanted to dabble in the HiEnd, downtown had 3-4 more dealers carrying the very pricy stuff. Funny thing is a lot of what the HiEnd stores carried was affordable to the dedicated bluecollar guy if he was willing to stretch a bit. Read Stereophile today and you'd think if you didn't have 5 figures to spend on most individual components and 6 figures to spend on a total system, you might as well close the book and go home. :(

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I dunno, I’m in my mid-thirties now and it seems to me that cheap hifi products are often far better now than they were when I was a teenager in the 90s. Small portable speakers can be really not that bad for the size and cost compared to the awful little integrated hifi systems that were in most non-audiophile homes of my childhood. The general move from ported boom boxes to passive radiator designs has been a sensible development. And budget two-way active monitors of today are often comparable in quality to more expensive (in relative terms) offerings of 15-20 years ago IME. I agree that the mainstream review mags have got increasingly OTT, however... Just my 2c.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In my not so humble opinion, most of the high end is created around the age old adage of "there is a fool born every minute".

Not that I would call these speakers high end although their price most certainly is. They appear to be 70s aesthetic styling hangovers, resting on the laurels of a long forgotten lifeline thrown by The Acoustical Manufacturing Company and by extension Peter Walker himself.

That said, I'm happy to do a nice subjective review of a pair if anyone wants to ship me some to Australia. What colours do they come in? :)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The new Gradient 1.4s have arrived!

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
First listen just plonked down and they sound great, very uncoloured , very transparent and the bass is excellent, doesn’t extend quite as far as the 8Cs but really controlled, there is a port on the base of the speaker next to the bass driver.
Probably the least coloured passive speaker I have heard here.

Keith

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First listen just plonked down and they sound great, very uncoloured , very transparent and the bass is excellent, doesn’t extend quite as far as the 8Cs but really controlled, there is a port on the base of the speaker next to the bass driver.
Probably the least coloured passive speaker I have heard here.

Keith
Are you going for some subliminal WAF with this photo Keith?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
My wife doesn’t like them!
But I think they are cute, the cabinets are a type off resin, they appear extremely robust, the sound quality is extremely transparent and uncoloured, very much like the Kii/8C , coaxial mid/Hf drivers front and rear to create the cardioid response, bass is superb, ported atthe bottom of the enclosure, next to the long throw bass driver.
I can’t hear any issues with the bass, nothing bass reflex derived.
Superb passive speakers, £5k a pair inc vat and delivery.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Cardioid, coaxial, passive three way, sound quality is very uncoloured.

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
http://www.gradient.fi/en/

Gradient’s website, which includes their fascinating history, collaboration with Peter Walker ( Quad) and their iconic Gradient 1.3 design.

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Having a bit of a refurbish, must get a table for the tower of power.

Keith

Hephaestus

These are truly superb passive speakers - I demoed them some weeks ago (subjective listening).

digicidal

Major Contributor
I made active clones for my daughter, and they sound good too!

The Santa costumed variant would be a big seller next month. Great job and write-ups! :)

Top Bottom