• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research X-LS Encore Kit Speaker Review

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I reckon the sort of periodic ripple seen on axis is diffraction from the left and right baffle edges and should resolve itself if you decide to go with fancier beveled edges on the cabinet instead.

Generally this looks decent, as far as traditional "boxy box" speakers without any kind of modern gizmos go. Not sure why a port resonance as high as 1.2 kHz made it out though.

Last edited:

Dmitri

Forum Donor
What? Car parts are 3D printed. I wasn't thinking about 3D printing DIY polymers as your material. As for finishing, this is a problem how for companies charging thousands for speakers?
Most companies use CNC equipment to cut multiple parts accurately from MDF, HDF, or plywood. With veneered material, using 45degree chamfer bits, they can cut so close to the outside veneer that the miters can actually be folded upon one another to complete the 6 sides of a box. It is, given the volume of output, the accuracy of cadcam equipment in general, and speed of production a far better option, for now...than 3D printing. The future might hold different though!

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I reckon the sort of periodic ripple seen on axis is diffraction from the left and right baffle edges and should resolve itself if you decide to go with fancier beveled edges on the cabinet instead.

Generally this looks decent, as far as traditional "boxy box" speakers without any kind of modern gizmos go. Not sure why a port resonance as high as 1.2 kHz made it out though.

I like rounding edges too, but this is another place the instructions fell short. Along with diffraction, rounding avoids corner and edge damage. I noticed the knock down cabinet did not do, so I left it to the eventual owner to decide.

Since there is only a slight 1.2K Hz pipe resonance predicted Bassbox, likely it gets some additional emphasis by internal standing waves.

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have added the GR Research X-LS Encore to Loudspeaker Explorer where it can be compared to other speakers.

Good consistency within the listening window, but don't put this speaker above ear height:

Loudspeaker Explorer chart(19).png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sensitivity falls short of the webpage claim of 87 dB.
A bit of that may be my measurements. For the first time I forgot to set the right distance to measure it. It may be off 2 to 5% off (lower) than it would be.

maltux

10 years ago GR Research sold these for $125 and that is when I built mine. I use them in my computer room / den and use them as computer speakers. I built the cabinets myself destroying my brother-in-laws old router. For the same money now I can tell you the HIVI 2.2A DIY on Amazon for $239 are a way better deal and comes with a knockdown cabinet and sounds infinitely better imho.

GR Research
GRReseach.jpg

HIVI
HIVI.jpeg

My two cents.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I believe this speaker was produced as an AV123 product. Maybe the Onyx Bookshelf. If anyone could help me/us out on this, please do.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
10 years ago GR Research sold these for $125 and that is when I built mine. I use them in my computer room / den and use them as computer speakers. I built the cabinets myself destroying my brother-in-laws old router. For the same money now I can tell you the HIVI 2.2A DIY on Amazon for $239 are a way better deal and comes with a knockdown cabinet and sounds infinitely better imho.

GR Research
View attachment 75459

HIVI
View attachment 75460

My two cents.
Is that using their Q1R tweeter? If so, it measures pretty well:
https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/hi-vi-research/hi-vi-q1r

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I seem to recall him saying they were produced by some other company.

It'd be nice to know in case one finds a used pair somewhere.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Without taking it apart I could not tell you; it has been so long since I built these. I am really surprised Amirm likes them. I would NOT recommend them.
??? You just said the HI-VI sounds much better?

Also, I like that the kit is beveled on the inside so the constructed look is clean (no seams), but sadly the outside baffle is not.

JIW

One of my delightful tracks is from Mary Coughlan's After the Fall album:

index.php

I can only find this horribly recorded live version of it:

Do you mean this?

If you search on YouTube for the artists name followed by 'topic', a channel will show up with the name of the artist followed by ' - Topic'. For Mary Coughlan, you get
Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 01.01.59.png

which takes you to

Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 01.03.13.png

clicking on the 'Albums & Singles' section gets you to playlists that are the individual albums

Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 01.03.36.png

This tends to work generally, however some things are more difficult to find.

For instance, when there are multiple artists like for the Vivace from Ars Antiqua Austria; Graupner - Concerto a 2 Chalumeaux, 2 violis Viola e Cembalo C-Dur GWV 303 which you could not find for the review of the Revel M105, it may only show up for one of the artists - in this case Ars Antiqua Austria.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 00.36.03.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 00.36.03.png
    168.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 00.37.38.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 00.37.38.png
    429.3 KB · Views: 108

raindance

Major Contributor
I seem to recall him saying they were produced by some other company.

Yes, they were AV123 speakers sold by Mark Schifter & co. I had the original X-LS and I did not like them (although the cabinets were amazing to look at). I thought they were thick sounding in the upper bass/lower mids and rolled off at the top - but am not sure how identical they were to these in terms of components.

Zvu

??? You just said the HI-VI sounds much better?...

I believe he wanted to say that he wouldn't recommend speakers reviewed by Amir, since HiVi sounds much better to him.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom