• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 367 87.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

DanielT

Major Contributor
",..,,As I said previously, if I were to try and build a speaker system with a driver that handled the entire frequency range (obviating the need for a crossover), I would try and put as many of them together in parallel as I could in the same box, but ,....."

Dont you know what you write?

I don't understand what your comment is complaining about. Is there some problem or inconsistency in what I said? Please clearly and explicitly explain what your concern is.

You can not just add another fullband. It changes overall FR thru comp filtering and directivity.
Many drivers in a line. Common in PA:

The same principle CAN be used as/for home HiFi speakers. Big advantages of reducing floors and roof reflections (if they are built so they go from floor to ceiling) BUT this design principle also means big challenges, which tomtoo is talking about. It has to do with directivity, how sound from speaker elements radiates, at different frequencies. FR must be checked, leveled. It can be done but it requires work, see page 5, # 81 and onwards. Posts from Wesayso are clearly interesting. He is a well known DIY of line speakers, he addresses the challenges in that thread, after # 81:)

A pair of line speakers with, for example, 25 drivers in each speaker is something completely different than a pair of GR Research LGK 2.0.It's really like comparing apples and pears.:D

Last edited:

Mark_A

You can not just add another fullband. It changes overall FR thru comp filtering and directivity.
Well yes, one can add additional drivers that are all the same. Whether that creates any obviously audible problems due to reflections and sound arriving at different times is debatable. A speaker with 3 identical LGK 2.0 3" drivers isn't going to be a great speaker by any count, but it would most likely be a lot better than just the single 3" driver. I never said just adding multiple drivers would result in a great speaker.

Besides, I never said that filters were not needed to adjust the FR. I believe that the LGK 2.0 speaker system design includes a notch filter, but it does not have a crossover.

There are lots of speakers systems that use multiple drivers that are identical and play the same frequencies.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Well yes, one can add additional drivers that are all the same. Whether that creates any obviously audible problems due to reflections and sound arriving at different times is debatable. A speaker with 3 identical LGK 2.0 3" drivers isn't going to be a great speaker by any count, but it would most likely be a lot better than just the single 3" driver. I never said just adding multiple drivers would result in a great speaker.

Besides, I never said that filters were not needed to adjust the FR. I believe that the LGK 2.0 speaker system design includes a notch filter, but it does not have a crossover.

There are lots of speakers systems that use multiple drivers that are identical and play the same frequencies.

But if you at the size of 3* 3inch you could use a 5inch and a tweeter with much better results. And no, there is no reputable desktopspeaker that uses multible fullrange speaker? Or you can show?
Thats why i say its not a good idear. If it would be a good idear, genelec or neumann or focal would do this for sure. Couse its cheap.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
LGK 2.0 is what it is. Danny blow it upp , puff steam (has he puffed on the magic dragon?Given the strange exaggerations, the bragging:)) so it seems to be the best created thing since sliced bread does not change that. It will be as it will be with a small broadband element.

LGK 2.0 is also expensive. There are other, better cheaper, small broadband drivers.:)

Mark_A

But if you at the size of 3* 3inch you could use a 5inch and a tweeter with much better results. And no, there is no reputable desktopspeaker that uses multible fullrange speaker? Or you can show?
Thats why i say its not a good idear. If it would be a good idear, genelec or neumann or focal would do this for sure. Couse its cheap.
This line of discussion started when Rick Sykora (who built the test unit for Amir) posted previously in this thread that he was going to replace the LGK 2.0 driver with a Peerless NE123-8 in the LGK2’s cabinet. It is advertised as a 4" driver and Rick said it is is twice the price of the LGK 2.0 driver (although on sale at the moment). I replied that it might be better to just add another LGK 2.0 driver ($40). I find the concept of a single driver speaker system (that is not a coaxial driver) to be dubious at best.

I was not trying to design an optimal desktop speaker, just suggest that two full range drivers might be better than one full range driver, even if Peerless is a little larger. I don't know whether my idea would work out better than the Peerless or not. One problem with just adding one more LGK 2.0 driver (6 ohms) is that if hooked in parallel, that would be 3 ohms total for the two drivers, and if hooked in series that would be 12 ohms (if I am wrong about that, please let me know).

One could certainly turn the existing box into a real two way system, with crossover, etc. Or one could add a subwoofer.

I don't do any serious music listening on my desktop speakers. For music, I either use my regular system with floor standing speakers, or my headphone system (separate DAC, headphone amp, and Sennheiser HD 660S).

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
This line of discussion started when Rick Sykora (who built the test unit for Amir) posted previously in this thread that he was going to replace the LGK 2.0 driver with a Peerless NE123-8 in the LGK2’s cabinet. It is advertised as a 4" driver and Rick said it is is twice the price of the LGK 2.0 driver (although on sale at the moment). I replied that it might be better to just add another LGK 2.0 driver ($40). I find the concept of a single driver speaker system (that is not a coaxial driver) to be dubious at best.

I was not trying to design an optimal desktop speaker, just suggest that two full range drivers might be better than one full range driver, even if Peerless is a little larger. I don't know whether my idea would work out better than the Peerless or not. One problem with just adding one more LGK 2.0 driver (6 ohms) is that if hooked in parallel, that would be 3 ohms total for the two drivers, and if hooked in series that would be 12 ohms (if I am wrong about that, please let me know).

One could certainly turn the existing box into a real two way system, with crossover, etc. Or one could add a subwoofer.

I don't do any serious music listening on my desktop speakers. For music, I either use my regular system with floor standing speakers, or my headphone system (separate DAC, headphone amp, and Sennheiser HD 660S).

The best thing to do with this speaker is just dont buy it. There are much better options for the price.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

@Mark_A that MOD for the Little Giant Killers would be a waste of time, resources and money. Have you seen what is available in a JBL or a Infinity for the expense of the Little Giant Killers? They make the Little Giant Killers look like rubbish. :D

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Mark_A that MOD for the Little Giant Killers would be a waste of time, resources and money. Have you seen what is available in a JBL or a Infinity for the expense of the Little Giant Killers? They make the Little Giant Killers look like rubbish. :D
Right? Let's take a driver that apparently has no QC and stick another in the cabinet. Also, I wholeheartedly believe these were a buyout purchase, no more new ones to be had.

YSC

Major Contributor

and that I remember was from someone saying the LGK is one of the best single driver one can get and cheaply, so then the LGK somewhat makes sense..

Forget about the whole arguement, but anyway this LGK is really a joke level product is for sure

Mr. E. Guy

I have no idea. I am not really interested in bottom fishing to find the smallest, cheapest speakers for music. I would go with headphones instead.
That was a strictly rhetorical question! Just making a point, anyone who wants a pair of speakers that rely upon a small full-range driver can explore the fabulous world of desktop computer speakers.

Based on what I have seen, possibly even a pair of Bose Companion 2 Series III ($150) would “kill” the LGKs. I'd love to see someone do a YT video of a blind test.

Mark_A

and that I remember was from someone saying the LGK is one of the best single driver one can get and cheaply, so then the LGK somewhat makes sense..

Forget about the whole arguement, but anyway this LGK is really a joke level product is for sure
Are you saying that I said that? Not even remotely accurate. Please provide a quote if you are attributing that to me. I wouldn't even waste my time evaluating such a small speaker system. I am baffled (no pun intended) as to why there are so many comments on this product.

My original interest in the review of the LGK was to ask if the problems noted by Amir (when playing a music track that had both deep bass and female vocals played at the exact same time) could be turned into some kind of objective instrument measurement test that could be used against all speaker systems. Every time I suggested it, he said he didn't think it was practical to come up with such an objective test, and that a listening test was needed.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My original interest in the review of the LGK was to ask if the problems noted by Amir (when playing a music track that had both deep bass and female vocals played at the exact same time) could be turned into some kind of objective instrument measurement test that could be used against all speaker systems. Every time I suggested it, he said he didn't think it was practical to come up with such an objective test, and that a listening test was needed.
I’d say we don’t need any other tests. The almost 10% THD at < 200 Hz at 86 dB are a dead giveaway. Even if your average playback level is only something like 76 dB, you’ll have peaks of more than 90 dB. Distortion will be even higher then.

YSC

Major Contributor
Are you saying that I said that? Not even remotely accurate. Please provide a quote if you are attributing that to me. I wouldn't even waste my time evaluating such a small speaker system. I am baffled (no pun intended) as to why there are so many comments on this product.

well, no, it's you only thinking I am meaining you said that, it's too long a thread to dig back where is the source, that's why I said I remember someone said those, I also remember faintly that another poster said something like you must listen to this particular speaker to comment, not from those tests. from all my posts in this thread I am only sure for one thing: this LGK is a joke product at it's complete package price, and even at flat pack price it's a waste of money. period

Mark_A

I only mentioned that because Rick already had one he built for the evaluation and said he was going to switch out the LGK driver with a Peerless driver to see if performed any better. I merely speculated that the only way to noticeably improve the system (that needed no crossover) was to have two identical full range drivers, rather than one driver. I don't know if that would work out or not. I certainly am not recommending that anyone purchase a LGK kit to try that out.

Whether the idea a full range speaker system without need for a crossover has any merit, I don't really know for certain. But I am quite sure that if it did have merit, then more than one full range driver would be needed for decent music listening.

I personally am not interested in owning a speaker system the size of the LGK or similar so I don't know what else is available. I only listen to music with my regular system in the living room. or with my headphones in my den.

Mark_A

well, no, it's you only thinking I am meaining you said that, it's too long a thread to dig back where is the source, that's why I said I remember someone said those, I also remember faintly that another poster said something like you must listen to this particular speaker to comment, not from those tests. from all my posts in this thread I am only sure for one thing: this LGK is a joke product at it's complete package price, and even at flat pack price it's a waste of money. period
OK, thanks for the clarification. I just want to emphasize that even though I did talk about the idea of speaker system with a full range driver and no crossover needed, I don't think it would work unless multiple drivers were used in some kind of line array. Even if the LGK system did have multiple full range drivers (at least 3), I couldn't comment on it without hearing it.

Mark_A

Based on what I have seen, possibly even a pair of Bose Companion 2 Series III ($150) would “kill” the LGKs.
Is it allowed to say the word "Bose" on an audiophile forum? :oops:

Actually, in 1972 I heard the Bose 901 speaker system at Audio Concepts in Austin TX. The 901 had nine 4" full range drivers. One driver facing forward, and the other 8 drivers facing to the rear for reflecting off the rear walls. I am pretty sure it had no crossover, but it did have an active equalization system in a separate box. Even though a lot of people thought highly of the Bose 901 at the time, I didn't care for it.

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Back in the 70s, the Bose 901s were the 'Eames Lounge Chair' of speakers...definitely seen as a "serious" if very design-forward speaker choice.
Just thinking about having to refoam all of those drivers though...ergh...apart from sound, ownership today not for the faint of heart.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Going to drop this here again ..just for contrast, maybe generate some interest as well.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/dmax-audio-super-cubes.17590/
$800 pr
aiyeeeee... 21st Century Horrortones. ;)

horrortones.jpg

Top Bottom