• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 367 87.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Sure two Lemmys are more expensive then one. With a Kali in-8 you just would get one Lemmy thats why this speaker is a littel more expensive. But still a bargain couse its not double as expensive. ;) I get this speaker and a amp with volume up to 11. Then i have two Lemmys at volume 11. Nothing can compete with this combination. ;)
Do them make everything louder than everything else?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Do them make everything louder than everything else?

Usually a amp goes only to volume 10, easy to see that 11 is louder, combine this with two Lemmys. What should be louder?
Sure you could say a amp that goes to 12 and speakers with three Lemmys. But find this on the market, man???

Last edited:

marcello252

a bit OT : what kind of app is the one implementing the DSP Amirm is using?
I searched the forum without results

thank you

tomtoo

Major Contributor
"....Measurements have been skewed and taken in a way as to get results that are not accurate. In some ways the...."

Iam sure he can show this?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
a bit OT : what kind of app is the one implementing the DSP Amirm is using?
I searched the forum without results

thank you

He uses the DSP built into Roon.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, which is also directly related to the frequency response/tonality, so I don't know how you can seperate that from tonality/frequency response. (Also loudness differences I noticed which again could be just frequency response/tonality shifts and/or maybe overall measured difference in dB, but maybe overall measured depending on which weighting you use). To me it seems like there are too many variables in the whole chain through the recording chain & through playback chain for useful comparisons. (Differences in personal HRTF between people would also affect the recordings & playback considering this is binaural in his ear, but that comes under the recording & playback chain I mentioned above, and also amoungst all the other variables that I haven't listed that are still contained within that same recording & playback chain).
Tonality is the subjective opinion based off a speaker's frequency response. They're not exclusively mutual.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Usually a amp goes only to volume 10, easy to see that 11 is louder, combine this with two Lemmys. What should be louder?
Sure you could say a amp that goes to 12 and speakers with three Lemmys. But find this on the market, man???
That'd be a Full House of Lemmys and Manowars.

Gosh, how I loathe Manowar...

newaudioguy77

It’s called GR Research. They should not “believe” anything.
There's also Synergistic Research...
Their power cables and tweaks are really something lol
I suppose all of their products are experimental in nature. Hence the lavish claims with measurements that don't perform.

soundintubes

Audio Company
It's not bad for what it is (a 3" wide range driver)
Expecting 96dB, or bass, is entirely unreasonable unless the manufacturer is claiming otherwise.
It's a bit like giving a small engined hatchback a bad review because it doesn't go very fast.
I don't expect the Neumann goes much louder or deeper.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
It's not bad for what it is (a 3" wide range driver)
Expecting 96dB, or bass, is entirely unreasonable unless the manufacturer is claiming otherwise.
It's a bit like giving a small engined hatchback a bad review because it doesn't go very fast.

Its a 3 inch in a 500 dollar speaker that kills giants???

I just see how it kills the purse of the costumer.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its a 3 inch in a 500 dollar speaker that kills giants???

I just see how it kills the purse of the costumer.
Exactly.

And @soundintubes let’s not twist the facts. We are talking 100% distortion below ca 100Hz at 86dB (not 96dB as you tried to put it) and 10% to ca 2% to almost 500Hz. Have a look at the facts first how that compares to the Neumann before making unfounded statements.

Penelinfi

I'd love to see measurements of the Audience A3 drivers. They were doing Purifi before Purifi with their claimed super high excursion 3" full range. It did look impressive. It's been a while since I wished at using them. I guess they are "out of date" by now.

Penelinfi

Looks like a fun little project if you are not concerned about sound quality, but you could do a lot better on price with a 'full range' driver from Parts Express.
Mark Audio drivers wouldn't be too bad and can play some bass.
Or you could buy a Vifa poly/fibreglass 3.5" full range and add a Dayton nd91 etc.

DanielT

Major Contributor
On another forum.. behold: 'Lastly, it is obvious there is a vendetta. Measurements have been skewed and taken in a way as to get results that are not accurate. In some ways the guy taking the measurements and doing a review has no idea what he is doing.'

The whole post is gold
I checked that post. It was about what one could suspect that Danny would say.Which, incidentally, ended with Danny writing:

It is not worth a discussion or rebuttal. Just ignore them.

So more comments from Danny will probably not come.

Last edited:

soundintubes

Audio Company
Have a look at the facts first how that compares to the Neumann before making unfounded statements.
"I don't expect..." is conjecture, not statement. Amir didn't measure the distortion.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"I don't expect..." is conjecture, not statement. Amir didn't measure the distortion.

Yes he did measure distortion.

Order of magnitude lower.

Please do some research first before posting these absolute statements. Maybe ask a question instead, if you don’t know. Nothing wrong with not knowing or not finding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom