• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 367 87.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

beagleman

Major Contributor
I look forward to Amir reviewing another speaker. Danny says that his X-Statik speaker is the best value/performance kit he has. Let’s see some more 3rd party reviews of that one!

I’m not going to throw Danny under the bus over this LGK 2.0 speaker review. It’s a single driver, 3” driver. Everyone is using this review to completely write him off, bash him!?!

It is okay/decent for a single 3" driver, I "Guess"

The issue, is over it being a POOR value in fully finished form for sure.
IMHO, many bash him based on his, trying to sell people on using High priced caps and crossover "Tweaks" that do not actually equate to better sound.

In other words, he tries to come off as "Scientific" and measurements and all, but then does not apply science and facts to his sales pitch.
Kinda wants to have it both ways, most likely to dupe less well educated buyers.

I think those "Tube Connector" things, also appear to be somewhat lacking in verifiable benefits, saying it in my "Polite" way.

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you look at it, I watched that video. 10:15 in Danny says: Connect and listen.

Well. Then Danny can take part in a blind test ... Will he take part in one? .... Of course not, he's not that stupid.

Edit:
When Danny laughs and says that it makes a difference to the signal, he is absolutely right, but the question is whether it is an audible difference.One more grain of salt in the pasta water and it is not the same but the taste of the cooked pasta?
Danny's prototype speaker cables. In addition to being cheap to make... he was able to receive Fast Radio Bursts from the event horizon.... who needs the Webb telescope when we have Danny!? Since NASA didn't have "a properly treated room"... they couldn't hear it... ONLY he can... ONLY in Cow Paddy, TX. We are fortunate to live in such enlightened times. Lorenzo the Magnificent... MOVE OVER... Danny is here to illuminate the path and lift the.... veil of pasta.:facepalm:

spaghetti-mess.jpg

Last edited:

welsh

As someone who misspent his youth in the '70's following The Dead and exploring the nexus between music and color... I can attest to the fact.. that given the right amount of fungal matter... that different colors DEFINITELY affect the sound... and vice versa... :cool: Perhaps that's Danny's little secret that he's not sharing that allows him to see music and hear colors... a secret ingredient from genuine Texas cow paddies... Groovy!
Texas - Hah! The highest-end audio mushrooms come from West Wales, as every proper hippy knows. You don’t even need a sound system, man! Dig!

moonlight rainbow dream

For less money you get a Revel M16; high end looks and superb sound quality. And my god this thing looks like pieces of particle board nailed together.
Thanks Amir

I was always confused by Danny's videos on YouTube. Now I know why... lol

The speakers look like something you would pick up at a thrift shop - or some "science project" Made by high school students.

Uhhh... that's what unfinished MDF looks like, guys. It's a great material for speaker enclosures and ubiquitous in the well-loved commercial designs here. You would typically seal and paint it or veneer over it.

Just kinda annoyed that you are, from a place of ignorance, insulting @Rick Sykora 's hard work and contributions to the site.

AudioArchitech

I still think that he’s being blasted, generalizations being made using a review of his worst speaker as evidence that everything he does is a joke. Feels like a high school mob. I bet most of his other speakers are quite good.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I still think that he’s being blasted, generalizations being made using a review of his worst speaker as evidence that everything he does is a joke. Feels like a high school mob. I bet most of his other speakers are quite good.

There is a real good test of one of his speakers in here. So why you not just stop talking BS , and read amirs review about THIS speaker? For 1000$ its just a bad joke. Get it?

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

It's really not about the possible merit of his designs IMO, but rather the quasi-scientific codswallop he emits in his U-Toob presentations promoting products of dubious or no benefit like tube connectors and making absurd declarations about the supposedly detrimental audible effects of ferromagnetic binding post nuts and the wrong kind of hook-up wire insulation.

DanielT

Major Contributor
There is a real good test of one of his speakers in here. So why you not just stop talking BS , and read amirs review about THIS speaker? For 1000$ its just a bad joke. Get it?
That's what it's, some small broadband elements in a pair of speakers. There is nothing wrong with that, IF, one understands their limitation. It will be what it will be.Maybe together with sub plus HP-LP filter plus EQ then it can be ok. Perhaps. In any case, see attached photos (taken at random). There are lots of small broadband elements. Of course in different style and performance, so the question is what does Danny's 3-inch drivers add that is something special?

Then ... the DIY kit LGK 2.0 Speaker ... the price, because... damn that price ?! It's still what it all boils down to.

Edit:
Or my little ones that I thought I would come up with something fun with this summer, or in the autumn. See attached picture.
The point is. There are many.:)

It becomes what it becomes, the sound, if you only use them as they are. In small speaker boxes. Ok data speakers, hopefully.No more or less.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-11_192823.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-11_192823.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_2022-06-11_192832.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-11_192832.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_2022-06-11_192917.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-11_192917.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20220611_194058.jpg
    IMG_20220611_194058.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220611_194134.jpg
    IMG_20220611_194134.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20220611_194145.jpg
    IMG_20220611_194145.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
"..damn that price ?! It's still what it all boils down to..."

Exactly.
The one who builds a pair of speakers with two tc9. Seald boxes and Amir feel to measure them, so I pay for it. Then we'll see. They compared with LGK 2.0.

Costs around $20 each.

Seriously, no joke. I'm curious about that.:)

Edit:
Requirements then, a DIY thread about them at ASR. With calculations, construction, construction images. The whole package.:)

Maybe can be a little fun joint ASR construction/DIY project?

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The one who builds a pair of speakers with two tc9. Seald boxes and Amir feel to measure them, so I pay for it. Then we'll see. They compared with LGK 2.0.

Costs around $20 each.

Seriously, no joke. I'm curious about that.:)

Put them in a case,dsp them...at the end its a pair of 3inch speakers. In germany we have some saying for the result. Es macht den kohl nicht fett oder die ziehen die wurst nicht vom teller. Cut the bass under 200Hz if you like to get louder, or listen very silent.

Toni Mas

Put them in a case,dsp them...at the end its a pair of 3inch speakers. In germany we have some saying for the result. Es macht den kohl nicht fett oder die ziehen die wurst nicht vom teller. Cut the bass under 200Hz if you like to get louder, or listen very silent.
The specs of these Peerless are very similar to the LGK2, except maybe that Sd is a bit larger 35mm2 vs 30mm2. The linear cone excursion Xmax is also the same and limited to 2.5mm. As result, if mounted is the cabinets of the LGK, the bass response will be similar too, and the distortion also similar. I made a quick simulation with Vituix and checked that Xmax is reached at less than 2 W giving and SPL under 90db at 1m. So that it will be as easy to make these saturate as happens with the LGK.

To be honest, GR Research mentions in their specs, that though the max power of their driver is 30W, this must be reduced to 10-15W if used without HPF and subwoofer. Which I consider also optimistic...

Btw, 30W is also the max power specified for the Peerless.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yes I know. They will be what they will be, but now I've been annoyed at the cost of Danny's LGK 2.0, so I'm happy to pay. Although I, more or less, have an idea of what the result will be.:)

Edit:
However, two tc9, plus two SLS 10. Crossover around 500 Hz. There is the potential for reasonably sensible budget speakers.:)

Edit:
Maybe not "High end" but decent speakers. Cost for four speaker elements around $ 200.:)

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
The specs of these Peerless are very similar to the LGK2, except maybe that Sd is a bit larger 35mm2 vs 30mm2. The linear cone excursion Xmax is also the same and limited to 2.5mm. As result, if mounted is the cabinets of the LGK, the bass response will be similar too, and the distortion also similar. I made a quick simulation with Vituix and checked that Xmax is reached at less than 2 W giving and SPL under 90db at 1m. So that it will be as easy to make these saturate as happens with the LGK.

To be honest, GR Research mentions in their specs, that though the max power of their driver is 30W, this must be reduced to 10-15W if used without HPF and subwoofer. Which I consider also optimistic...

Btw, 30W is also the max power specified for the Peerless.
Exactly That's what happens to them. Or it's their frequency / working range, performance (the parameters are what they are). You have to start from that. It will not be gold and green forests (excellent low bass for example). It's about reasonable expectations. It is not possible to cream out more than what there is potential for.:)

But, at a completely different cost than LGK 2.0.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom