• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 367 87.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

AudioArchitech

I look forward to Amir reviewing another speaker. Danny says that his X-Statik speaker is the best value/performance kit he has. Let’s see some more 3rd party reviews of that one!

I’m not going to throw Danny under the bus over this LGK 2.0 speaker review. It’s a single driver, 3” driver. Everyone is using this review to completely write him off, bash him!?!

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You put ' research ' in your company name your claiming to be on the edge of human understanding and certainly the ability to manufacture.

Wtf.
You are interpreting it wrong because you do not know what the initials stand for:

"(G)ot no ability, desire or need to perform (R)elevant Research"

It was too long to fit on speaker badges so it was shortened to GR.

Katji

Major Contributor
Danny says that his X-Statik speaker is the best value/performance kit he has.
What does he say about this one then? ............................"Giant Killer"? $1000 for this crap? ...versus $350 for nice iLoud micro monitors. [We covered this already.]

Everyone is using this review to completely write him off, bash him!?!
This + his bullshxt and attitude. "Balance of probabilities." I don't know how to explain it to you, to me it's obvious.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I personally have no interest at all in bif, and also listen at very low SPL in a small dedicated room and hence do not need any big multi way system. Simply in my experience with small full range drivers 3" is too small.
My current main system is based on a 4", a little bigger than a 3", but the difference is huge, subjectively and also by measurements, of course...View attachment 211980
Based on my experience (and nothing more), I do concur (FWIW) that 4 inch drivers can be "practical"* as "full-range" (ahem, let's say "extended range") loudspeaker drivers. 3 inchers are definitely straining credulity. ;)

jamescarter1982

Well done again amir putting the science in place to make this hobby understandable to everyone ! we know longer need to believe a product is good because someone just tells us it is or something sounds great because its expensive or its from a desirable company with desirability . this guys always struck me as a bit of a salesman no doubt he does have some design experience but we are all better off for arming ourselves with knowledge to separate the fact from the fiction

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Results are reliable but just not comparable. As an R&D tool, it works if you stay with the same design/frequency response and optimize distortion. Doesn't work for reviewing when every speaker is different. A driver is also different since the signal won't be split between it and other speakers.

And no, I don't know yet how to solve it. :) I spent a lot of time on it in the past but could not get anywhere. I will have to think about a way to get there....
Could one way of doing this be by EQ'ing the two different frequencies that you're testing at to an established target curve, which you'd do from your spinorama data. You would choose the two frequency points you want to compare and then EQ up each of the two frequency points to the target SPL of your agreed/chosen target curve. That way you're taking the frequency response element of different speakers away. That might provide a means of comparing IMD between speakers in the ideal situation that a consumer has EQ'd their speaker to be anechoic flat (if that's your chosen target curve) (and maybe gives a general indication of the IMD performance potential of the speaker too). There might be a few factors I've not considered, would this work, be a way of doing it?

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
"I am not at all concerned and neither are our customers."
This line from Danny to Amir could pretty much serve as the company motto or slogan for GR Research.

I wouldn't be surprised if this review doesn't sell more of the speakers for him. He will make a response video and his fan base will get energized and excited and out will come the credit cards.

ta240

Major Contributor
I haven't followed the entire thread but I do find it interesting that he actually sells these as speakers you would use out in a room. Zaphaudio.com has a design for a single driver speaker but he stresses on the page to not send it anything below 150hz. And if you are planning to send them any amount of power to push the active crossover up to 200hz and let a subwoofer do everything else.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I look forward to Amir reviewing another speaker. Danny says that his X-Statik speaker is the best value/performance kit he has. Let’s see some more 3rd party reviews of that one!
That's almost $2,000 worth of parts (flatpack alone is $770). If we had that kind of money, would we really want to spend it on that speaker?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you even need the whole box? It looks like really all we need is to reclaim the tube connectors
Good ideal. We should setup a recycling business for GR speakers that way! Trash the rest and salvage the tube connectors to sell for $70 or whatever he charges....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's almost $2,000 worth of parts (flatpack alone is $770). If we had that kind of money, would we really want to spend it on that speaker?
Poor Danny would lose his marbles if that happened anyway. :D

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
french-tounge.gif

I think that's a big No.

Top Bottom