• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 87.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So... upon reflection...
Perhaps (perhaps) we should enable @amirm to dangle his toes, or his loudspeaker measurement equipment into the not so tiny fullranger pool!?
... and, no, not vintage (although that would be easy; gotta basement full of 'em here)!
I'm thinkin'... Lii. These are a thing, at least in certain circles. :)

You know what they say: Go big or go home. :cool:

F-15-1.jpg

F15-145.jpg

%E8%AF%B4%E6%98%8E%E4%B9%A6%E7%AE%B1%E4%BD%9311.jpg
Holy s**+ that’s a lot of meat!!

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mods, can you please reinstate DannyGR’s post that is being quoted (the one with “guerilla glue”) as I am sure forum members would like to read his comments on the revue of his product?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you provide a link? Might be useful when the world goes further to hell.

I'm going to ban this account, assuming this is a bad joke. If this is Danny, please contact Amir directly and I'll remove it.
Oh, I see what happened here—it was probably not Danny who posted. A pity. I’d like to see him post here instead of him attacking the forum from afar.

Katji

Major Contributor
`Curiouser and curiouser!'
:)

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all <--------------------[ that sounds familiar ]
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits <-----------------------[ with Elmers glue ]
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah-smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call
Call Alice
When she was just small

When the men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom <--------------------[ ]
And your mind is moving low
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know
[...]

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

These impedance resonances are a strong indication that something is not right with this speaker build. I'd take the driver out and sweep it by itself to verify it's not the driver. It could be the driver. Though, based on my experience, what I'm seeing here indicates an issue with the enclosure build, mounting of the driver, or LF panel resonance (which could also be due to the build). Maybe bracing is in order. I can only say that I have never seen this with any other commercial or DIY speaker. And, yes, I am full aware of the resolution of the sweep. I do the same thing. Regardless of what the issue is, something is definitely not right here.

*don't shoot the messenger*

Last edited:

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Only thing it kills is money, time and effort of the builder/buyer.
If only there was someone out there who could modify this speaker, inevitably bringing night and day improvements.
Pointless, rather build something better for the same price.
PinkPanther-Web.jpg

DanielT

Major Contributor
Because there is talk of distortion and these speakers.Anyone who does not believe that distortion can be heard. You can test it in a few seconds. Take the mobile phone or tablet and turn it to max. Listen to their speakers. Whether it's clipping the signal before the speaker or not I leave unsaid but damn bad it will sound.

This is something you can think about ... if you have nothing better to do::)

Edit:
I did not get any wiser after my test, I should add. It depends on.. .. eh do not know.:)

By the way. This you know, who writes in the thread, but for others who read. Speakers may have low distortion with uneven FR. Some electrostatic speakers, for example, may have it.

Everyone has experienced that, damn annoying distortion. When things are driven aggressively beyond its capabilities. Bad car stereos or ... and so on ...So to Danny, yes distortion does matter. Damn much even.

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A review of a really bad product is more entertaining than a review of a mediocre one. Thank you @amirm

I think reviews of excellent products are the valuable ones.

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

Has given you the call
Call Alice
When she was just small

Go ask Alice
I think she'll know
[...]
I've met Alice... and the Hookah smoking caterpillar. They've got an awesome listening room.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These impedance resonances are a strong indication that something is not right with this speaker build. I'd take the driver out and sweep it by itself to verify it's not the driver. It could be the driver. Though, based on my experience, what I'm seeing here indicates an issue with the enclosure build, mounting of the driver, or LF panel resonance (which could also be due to the build). Maybe bracing is in order. I can only say that I have never seen this with any other commercial or DIY speaker. And, yes, I am full aware of the resolution of the sweep. I do the same thing. Regardless of what the issue is, something is definitely not right here.

*don't shoot the messenger*
The one that @Rick Sykora did look much smoother: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...r-research-lgk-2-0-speaker.33479/post-1170329 . I don’t know if that was the naked driver?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
The one that @Rick Sykora did look much smoother: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...r-research-lgk-2-0-speaker.33479/post-1170329 . I don’t know if that was the naked driver?

Pasted here:
index.php

Cleary that is in the cabinet. The double impedance bump is the tell-tale sign of a ported enclosure.

That said, those measurements don't matter much here because the ones Amir shows are so vastly different in their "noise" at the tips of the impedance bumps. I wonder if this is turbulence in the port. It's that, or there's a resonance somewhere due to any number of things.

Toni Mas

If it were for the measurements above 200 Hz, I would say interesting, directivity pattern included, narrowing in the top octave included. Sadly, there is nothing good at all under 200Hz. It is not that a small full range driver is necessarily a bad thing, but a 3 incher is definitely too small size, and with an Fs around 110Hz, it doesn't even deserve to be called "full" range, even if you make the ugly trick of tuning a BR cabinet at 80Hz. The result is still no bass, and moreover stressing and making distort these poor tiny drivers. Definitely this kind of project is hopeless, and not even worth spending 100$ for a pair, all parts and wood included... And1000$:facepalm:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pasted here:
index.php

Cleary that is in the cabinet. The double impedance bump is the tell-tale sign of a ported enclosure.

That said, those measurements don't matter much here because the ones Amir shows are so vastly different in their "noise" at the tips of the impedance bumps.
It’s supposedly the exact same speaker, so what gives? L vs R? Transport damage?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
These speakers just don't make sense , iv had similar looking drivers in my proac D15s and they would distort obviously at moderate volume if you threw something at them with some low end and simple vocal combined . Something like London grammar or Anne Brune .

In this case , these tiny things have no chance , how on earth could they , without some fancy DSP and a active design .

Ridiculous passives , totally deluded enterprise imo .

So glad this nonsense gets short shrift here , there was a time this nonsense would go unchallenged .

Thanks @amirm , great job and hilarious!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It’s supposedly the exact same speaker, so what gives? L vs R? Transport damage?
My impedance sweeps are very high resolution with Kelvin probing. As such it sometimes shows effects like this although I have not seen it this severe in the past.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, an astute observation to check the build thread as I do use impedance measurements to validate that the build matches the design (and it does within tolerances)...

That said, could be that something broke loose in shipping. However, the most likely candidate is the filter boards and they were secured with screws and butyl rubber. Every filter board component was secured with tie wraps and/or butyl rubber.

Another possible cause is an issue in @amirm's test rig. I have seen comparable impedance measurement "noise" when a connection is loose. If a quick shake test does not indicate something is loose, next easiest test would be to rerun the impedance measurement. I do agree the "noise" is indicative of a potential issue, so bears some additional digging to ensure review integrity. :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My impedance sweeps are very high resolution with Kelvin probing. As such it sometimes shows effects like this although I have not seen it this severe in the past.
Notability none of these effects seem to be visible in the response or waterfall, nor as distortion peaks, particularly your port response tracks @Rick Sykora measurements very well. I doubt there are any leaks in the enclosure (except for the port ;)).

Loathecliff

Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

Has given you the call
Call Alice
When she was just small

Go ask Alice
I think she'll know
[...]
& the raw 'live' version 'Grace Slick & the Great Society' is by far the best (IMHO)
Herself chips-in from 4:22
1969, 15/- (75pence) W. H. Smith's were selling one. My friend Chris beat me to the counter. - Then my ex 'borrowed' it, & played it to death.
Off topic, but far more important than anything GR Research churns out.... Isn't it?

Top Bottom