• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 367 87.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

Katji

Major Contributor
Is there any way you could test the infamous "tube connectors"? Now that you've got a pair, might we worth getting some data behind their performance. I believe in a good low-loss connector as much as the next guy, just not sure it makes that much of a difference, unless maybe you're comparing them to this...

View attachment 211738

I would rather have those than accept bullshit.

"low-loss connectors," are these speakers revealing enough that any difference could be heard[?]
....Audiophilery is full of better mouse traps.

Katji

Major Contributor
While this is a great review by Amir, and a great service to the society, I don't think anything will change sustainably, sadly. He will either ignore this, or dismiss the results as inaccurate/the methodologies are faulty/we can hear things that are not in measurements etc., and hist followers/believers will believe what he said.
It's all about "want to believe."

uwotm8

Oh btw! Is author of this real scale speaker imitation model the same guy who shoved his nose into Dynaudio Heritage Special criticizing its engineering and trying to sell some "better" crossovers? LOLOLOLOL:D

P.S. There has to be a "Joke" rating to vote, "Poor" doesn't describe the richness of performance.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Couldn't quite decide between poor and not terrible, because with a 3" driver you can't get low without distortion and the frequency response doesn't look too bad above 120hz. But then I saw the price and it made me wonder why a 3" driver was chosen in the first place. For that kind of money this speaker is basically a scam. For desk usage the minimum really is 4" and even that is pushing it.

Katji

Major Contributor
Oh btw! Is author of this real scale speaker imitation model the same guy who shoved his nose into Dynaudio Heritage Special criticizing its engineering and trying to sell some "better" crossovers? LOLOLOLOL:D

P.S. There has to be a "Joke" rating to vote, "Poor" doesn't describe the richness of performance.
:p LOL
I'm busy looking for a suitable Pink Panther to rate this guy.

images

Ageve

You could argue that the high distortion is what you would expect from such a small driver. But then the question is: Why does this kit even exist in the first place?

It's available as a finished product as well (with wood veneer), at $1,014.00/pair.

A quote from Danny's KEF LS50 Meta video:

Don't expect this to be a $5000 kill all mini monitor. It's not! For the price point that they sell it for, it's probably pretty decent for the price, but... it's no killer.

Apparently the LGK 2.0 is not only a killer. It's a giant killer. :rolleyes:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Preference Rating
SCORE: 3.7
SCORE w/ sub: 6.5
The very low sensitivity and limited power handling are what resulted in Amir’s low evaluation, not just the tonality.
For a desk in a small room and for background music, these speakers should be “ok”, especially since it’s a single point source so vertical sweetspot is pretty wide. But there are no doubt other options you can get at this price point (especially if for some reason considering the >$1000 cost for purchasing a finished version ; he sells the woofers for $80/pr, so it price differential is quite large).

I would have put my usual caveat that I add for near-field speakers, but on the product page Danny says they are fine for small rooms.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Why do you always talk about building full-range speakers from small broadband elements, Danny ,?
Danny: (pause) I'm building a pair.
Reg: What?
Danny: I want to be building them. From now on, I want you all to give me support in this.
Reg: What !?
Danny: That's my right as a speaker builder
Reg: But it will not be good sound then, bass will be bad with masses of distortion and ..
Danny: Do not oppress me.
Reg: I do not oppress you, Danny - you do not have the laws of physics with you, how do you get that together?
Judith: Here! I have an idea. Suppose you agree that Danny actually can not
make them sound good, which is nobody's fault, not even Amirs, but that he may have the "right" to bulid them and think they sound good?!
Francis: Good idea, Judith. We will fight the oppressors for your right to.. get these speakers.....
Reg: (pissed off) What's the * point *?
Francis: What?
Reg: What's the point of fighting for his right to have these speakers, when he can not make them sound good?
Francis: It is symbolic of our struggle against Amir.
Reg: It's symbolic of his struggle against reality.

Edit
Small broadband elements have the potential they have. Compromise, regarding the sound with two pieces, and build....or like these, harness the potential in them and build something like this. Requires a lot of EQ but apart from that, line speakers have great advantages.
So that goes against my little joke. But it's about reaping the potential and making something sensible, really good, out of small broadband elements.:)

Attachments

• 20220105_112711.jpg
    20220105_112711.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220103_141056 (2).jpg
    20220103_141056 (2).jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

JaccoW

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
The very low sensitivity and limited power handling are what resulted in Amir’s low evaluation, not just the tonality.
For a desk in a small room and for background music, these speakers should be “ok”, especially since it’s a single point source so vertical sweetspot is pretty wide. But there are no doubt other options you can get at this price point (especially if for some reason considering the >$1000 cost for purchasing a finished version ; he sells the woofers for $80/pr, so it price differential is quite large).

I would have put my usual caveat that I add for near-field speakers, but on the product page Danny says they are fine for small rooms.
If it is "only" small destop, or computer speakers that they are to be used for, there are many small broadband elements, which anyone with wooden boards, saws, glue and so on can slam together. How good it will be is another matter. There will be sound. Maybe even better than these "A Joke" speakers. Seald box to avoid problems with port resonances.:)

In addition, IF you then need to add subwoofers, for reasonably sensible sound (you need that) then BOTH HP-LP filters are needed. Does Danny mention that aspect when he talks about adding subwoofers to them?

The easiest is of course to buy some small active desktops, data speakers. But if you now feel like building something then..there is the possibility.:)

Think about the cost with some small sensible broadband elements. Fractions of what this joke kit costs. As many have already pointed out, but it is worth pointing out again:

Amir:
"to fully finished pair ($ 1,038)"

It's completely crazy!

Last edited:

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For desk usage the minimum really is 4" and even that is pushing it.
For nearfield use these (no longer available) ultrabudget Micca Club3s were actually really credible (with bass down to ~40hz!) if you added your own DSP corrections. Linked article has uncorrected and DSP-corrected measurements. Owning these was a bit of an eye (ear?) opener for me with regards to the power of DSP when I first got into the hobby.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

3" is no man's land for widebanders. 4" is the sweetspot imo. Scanspeak has smooth extension till 16kHz and great off-axis almost to the level of a dome tweeter made in Denmark with a neo motor, the most well-ventilated cast frame this side of a Satori or Illuminator and copper cap for 80$. Likely a fair bit cheaper at OEM pricing.

That's the kind of balancing of compromises needed for a widebander to be worth it.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't want anyone to be offended from this comment but it is only a subjective analysis. But is it just me who sees mostly American companies going the subjective route when it comes to defending speaker and amplifier design/quality? I am not saying it doesn't happen in Europe and Denon a US company is testament to its hands on work with Amir though I get this feeling that at least Scandinavian smaller sized businesses are always working with a scienced based appraoch while the US still fights for that old school dogma.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As said by others such a 3" wideband loudspeaker makes only sense as a small computer loudspeaker (if listening volume is moderate) but in that case its just insane to use a passive LCR circuit like he did as you can have all equalisation even more precise and with much more options like room correction and steep highpass filter for free with Equalizer APO, see for example http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-267-1187.html#18 and some other superior and still cheaper wideband designs http://www.uibel.net/bauvor/bv_boxa.html

Here it is explained how to do the EQ http://www.uibel.net/bauvor/bv_box/tinuviel/beschreibung.html

Top Bottom