• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 344 88.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 34 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters

dsnyder0cnn

I sometimes drive mine pretty hard (relative to their intended application), but I've never heard "crackling" noises from them.

I'll drag a mic out at some point and measure them in-room to see how they are doing, but no complaints from me so far.

Robbo99999

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i think you made a mistake here:

index.php

you say it should be below 50 dB, but you lowered that treshold by 4 dB in the 90 dB measurement. the opposite of what you would do normally. or at least keep ik at 50 dB ? so now you created more distortion then actauly is there. (you demand now the speaker does lower distortion while paling louder.... thats never gone happen with any speaker.) by the presentation ? either 4 or 8 dB not sure if you want it to be below 50 when using 90 dB. if so you scewed this result by 4 dB... else 8dB, maybe does not matter all that much but... at least its incorrect and 4 db is something in distortion
Yep, the red line is in the wrong place on the 90dB graph. It doesn't change the shown distortion of course, but it makes it look worse on the 90dB graph, not that it would really look all that much better if the red line was raised up to 50dB!

DanielT

Major Contributor
It is very simple, if you have the GR Research LGK 2.0 then just add subwoofer AND then LP AND HP filter between sub and the GR Research LGK 2.0.

For those who do not want to deal with DSP, I can recommend this, for the filter part:

Very similar to this:

In any case. If you use it as a crossover sub-speaker, you won't hear any noise or distortion from the active crossover itself.:)

Edit:
Running those little LGK 2.0 above at least 100 Hz will probably do wonders for the sound. Actually two bass modules in stereo, crossover setting maybe 300-500 Hz... but then it all starts to become a bit too much speaker construction (that you should act as a loudspeaker designer yourself)....Then you might as well add a tweeters...Then you might as well ....do a DIY three-way speaker. These compromises and considerations.:)

Sub - LGK 2.0 with sensible HP-LP filter. You get a long way with that in terms of sound then, as far as it makes sense without making a fuss about it.:)

Last edited:

Joppe Peelen

Yep, the red line is in the wrong place on the 90dB graph. It doesn't change the shown distortion of course, but it makes it look worse on the 90dB graph, not that it would really look all that much better if the red line was raised up to 50dB!
true but its not ideal... if you want to show how bad it is. with the line distortion gets 4dB worse. then it should and at the same time seeing how high distortion already is ofcourse its gone be worse at 90... but now it looks even worse. its just a mistake. just weanted to add that to the conversation. since it is not mentioned anywhere either.

besides that any speaker would have more distortion when you play thgem 4 db louder. so a fault of 4 db is rather massive

TrevC

I sometimes drive mine pretty hard (relative to their intended application), but I've never heard "crackling" noises from them.

I'll drag a mic out at some point and measure them in-room to see how they are doing, but no complaints from me so far.
What do they sound like if you play actual music through them?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This video is more a reflection of your choice in music than whether this little driver can be bottomed. Anything with some significant low bass is going to cause an over excursion. Not encouraging you to push it as you could damage it, but it really needs a high pass filter to protect it properly.

Before I sent Directiva r1 to Amir, he sent me some of his test tracks. The bass torture ones could readily cause the Purifi woofer to bottom out. If you encounter, it is not pleasant, so you will know when it happens. Otherwise, if you do not listen to music with low bass, enjoy your speakers.

dsnyder0cnn

This video is more a reflection of your choice in music than whether this little driver can be bottomed. Anything with some significant low bass is going to cause an over excursion. Not encouraging you to push it as you could damage it, but it really needs a high pass filter to protect it properly.

Before I sent Directiva r1 to Amir, he sent me some of his test tracks. The bass torture ones could readily cause the Purifi woofer to bottom out. If you encounter, it is not pleasant, so you will know when it happens. Otherwise, if you do not listen to music with low bass, enjoy your speakers.
Haha. Fair. However, the Infected Mushrooms track I played in the video has plenty of low bass. Of course, the little driver was not able to translate much of that into acoustic energy, and what it could do probably was not picked up by the mic in my phone. My point in posting was just to show that this little speaker is not the total disaster that this thread has made it out to be…although perhaps there is some variation from one build to the next.

When playing more approachable music (eg., acoustic jazz, vocal, folk, pop), they sound great to me. Nice soundstage. Startling detail at times. Precious little output below 80 Hz but enough to hint at what's there. I do plan to eventually high-pass and add a sub, but my use case is 75% Zoom calls at the moment. For that, they are massive overkill. :)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha. Fair. However, the Infected Mushrooms track I played in the video has plenty of low bass. Of course, the little driver was not able to translate much of that into acoustic energy, and what it could do probably was not picked up by the mic in my phone. My point in posting was just to show that this little speaker is not the total disaster that this thread has made it out to be…although perhaps there is some variation from one build to the next.

When playing more approachable music (eg., acoustic jazz, vocal, folk, pop), they sound great to me. Nice soundstage. Startling detail at times. Precious little output below 80 Hz but enough to hint at what's there. I do plan to eventually high-pass and add a sub, but my use case is 75% Zoom calls at the moment. For that, they are massive overkill. :)

Will check out the track. As for build variations, there are only 2 likely ones. The driver and the internal damping. With enough internal damping material or limited airflow to the port, will get more bass rolloff and this could explain difference from Amir’s speaker. The driver is also brand new and may be inconsistent quality. With the level of emotion involved, no real attempt to troubleshoot meaningfully unfortunately.

Will hopefully know better when you make some measurements. :cool:

dsnyder0cnn

Will hopefully know better when you make some measurements. :cool:
For sure. Full disclosure, I don't have a Klippel! I'll use my miniDSP UMIK-2, recording from the main listening position…on center with the driver and an arm's length away.

MacCali

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree im not sure why people fuck around with x amount db lower then fundamnental :) look at spl and percentage and be done :) it also gives better insight in how much it does not matter at all or does :)
I think the only thing that really matters is consistency.

It’s not like a deceptive move. He probably does this on all his testing. Reason being is that’s what is passable for a well made product.

I’m sure the other speakers he reviewed are on the same scale, and if not this maybe a bookshelf speaker style which runs on this scale or finally it may vary by some other factor which he is calculating if it varies by speaker.

There’s a lot of things possible on this website but generally the good far outweigh the bad.

There are a lot of people here who are extremely intelligent when it comes to audio and will always point out a mistake without hesitation even typos.

But thank you for pointing that out

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
I got started in DIY speaker building following the Full Range Driver forum at DIYAudio. I’d had nothing but boom boxes that my now ex-wife found visually acceptable …. for a decade. So the TangBand W3-871 in a cubic foot ported box sounded lovely by comparison. Fun to have gone through that phase and then having used ever more expensive drivers to my most recent set using Scanspeak Revelator drivers. But those early Tangband drivers were not even $20 Cdn each. That is about what the experience was worth. I cannot imagine paying for the Little Giant Killers. It’s a beginner hobby level DIY project at best.

Robbo99999

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the only thing that really matters is consistency.

It’s not like a deceptive move. He probably does this on all his testing. Reason being is that’s what is passable for a well made product.

I’m sure the other speakers he reviewed are on the same scale, and if not this maybe a bookshelf speaker style which runs on this scale or finally it may vary by some other factor which he is calculating if it varies by speaker.

There’s a lot of things possible on this website but generally the good far outweigh the bad.

There are a lot of people here who are extremely intelligent when it comes to audio and will always point out a mistake without hesitation even typos.

But thank you for pointing that out
It was definitely a mistake re the red line was placed in the wrong place on the 90dB graph, it should have been at the 50dB level - just like it normally is in Amir's other reviews, from another recent speaker review you can see the red line is in the right place (well it's a blue line this time, lol), both at 50dB:
index.php

Deception no way, that would be stupid, mistake yes.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I got started in DIY speaker building following the Full Range Driver forum at DIYAudio. I’d had nothing but boom boxes that my now ex-wife found visually acceptable …. for a decade. So the TangBand W3-871 in a cubic foot ported box sounded lovely by comparison. Fun to have gone through that phase and then having used ever more expensive drivers to my most recent set using Scanspeak Revelator drivers. But those early Tangband drivers were not even $20 Cdn each. That is about what the experience was worth. I cannot imagine paying for the Little Giant Killers. It’s a beginner hobby level DIY project at best.
There are many full range drivers. Search on Parts Express, 3 inch full range drivers. There are 51 pcs with price from $4 to $150. Various manufacturers:

4 inch full range drivers. Then 54 pieces from $12 to $230. Various manufacturers:

And so on.....

Build something fun with full range drivers. Let the creativity flow. Alone or together with children or grandchildren perhaps? Minions, or Lego speakers?:)
Check this out:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Danny has made a 2.1 version. Now together with a small bass element. Why does such a small bass driver? This is what they look like:

Screenshot_2022-10-04_094959.jpg

Danny has done some measurements on them:

Screenshot_2022-10-04_095236.jpg

Edit:
Why not make a classic three-way speaker? That 2.1 seems rather unnecessary in my eyes. A 10 - 12 inch woofer crossover around 500-1200 Hz .
Plus a sensible tweeter, for example:

That would have made much more sense. I think.:)

Last edited:

Joppe Peelen

It was definitely a mistake re the red line was placed in the wrong place on the 90dB graph, it should have been at the 50dB level - just like it normally is in Amir's other reviews, from another recent speaker review you can see the red line is in the right place (well it's a blue line this time, lol), both at 50dB:

Deception no way, that would be stupid, mistake yes.

I agree im sure it was not on purposse!

Top Bottom