• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 367 87.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

YSC

Major Contributor
So Danny does the best he can in modifying crossovers to flatten the response. If that is what someone wants then he is the guy to go to. Anything else and he is out of his area of knowledge. He knows just enough to get in trouble. It comes off as lying to those that do know far more than Danny. But, in reality it is just his ignorance. I try not to blame Danny for his extremely high level of ignorance in what he says.
One of the thing I recently have a thought of is how back in the days ppl claim you just need to disregard to measurements, cause "flattening the FR will always sound awful despite looking great" now I think we know that this is due to both schroeder frequency and directivity error, flattening on axis while making off axis even more rugged will sound weird or plain wrong to human, now what he modifies are usually speakers with sub-optimal off axis responses, and I recall some vendors to counter balance the peak in off axis response usually intentionally leave a slight null in the corresponding region on aixs, so the summed up early reflections will sound more neutral and natural. Now if you flatten the on axis of that speaker... I am not sure it will be an actual improvement

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One of the thing I recently have a thought of is how back in the days ppl claim you just need to disregard to measurements, cause "flattening the FR will always sound awful despite looking great" now I think we know that this is due to both schroeder frequency and directivity error, flattening on axis while making off axis even more rugged will sound weird or plain wrong to human, now what he modifies are usually speakers with sub-optimal off axis responses, and I recall some vendors to counter balance the peak in off axis response usually intentionally leave a slight null in the corresponding region on aixs, so the summed up early reflections will sound more neutral and natural. Now if you flatten the on axis of that speaker... I am not sure it will be an actual improvement
Please explain this. Isn’t dispersion/directivity a function of the enclosure and how sound radiates from the drivers in concert with the enclosure? How does flattening the FR change dispersion? So many folks have said here in various discussions that EQing for FR is pointless with an enclosure that gives poor dispersion. This suggests that they are not related. Thanks.

YSC

Major Contributor
Please explain this. Isn’t dispersion/directivity a function of the enclosure and how sound radiates from the drivers in concert with the enclosure? How does flattening the FR change dispersion? So many folks have said here in various discussions that EQing for FR is pointless with an enclosure that gives poor dispersion. This suggests that they are not related. Thanks.
I don't mean flattening FR changes dispersion, let me say what I meant to say in more detail:

dispersion is fixed by the design, but say, a non-ideal dispersion pattern (at least horizontal) will create a bump from 1-3khz by 5db off axis,
some designers will compensate the extra energy by lowering the on axis of 1-3khz by 2-3db to make the in room combined early reflection+on axis more like a on axis flat speaker with perfect dispersion pattern.

Now in this case if you pull the on axis to flat, the result will be off axis 5db bump be added upon, making it having a 1-3khz bump in the in room response, which will then sound "off" compared to the original design. As most speaker out there don't have ideal horizontal dispersion, let alone vertical dispersion of coaxial design, simply modifying the cross over to make on axis flat could be just behaving like one trying to EQ a poor directivity speaker to anechoic flat

Penelinfi

I feel there are some that have been actually bettered, but there have also been others where the of axis got a bigger peak, which he kind of glosses over; it wouldn't be given such passable treatment in stock form.
Would be interesting to do tests on them

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Please explain this. Isn’t dispersion/directivity a function of the enclosure and how sound radiates from the drivers in concert with the enclosure? How does flattening the FR change dispersion?
If you move the crossover point, you change the directivity of both drivers. If you make it earlier for example, the woofer doesn't beam (narrow) as much. Inversely, the tweeter would have a wider beam. If you change the slope of the crossover, similar effect exists.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are correct that a driver's directivity is is determined by things like its dimensions, shape, interactions with array members, and its transition to the space it radiates into via a baffle or horn. However, overall system directivity is the sum of all these drivers, and a crossover can blend the drivers' directivity more or less, over a narrower or wider bandwidth.

Steep crossover slopes can make directivity transitions more abrupt, which is not a problem if drivers are well matched. If you have drivers of very different size, like a 1 inch tweeter and 7 inch woofer, a shallower crossover is generally advisable. A four way speaker has smaller differences in directivity and it is generally better to have steeper crossover slopes there.

A common mistake in crossover design is to use steep crossover slopes to reduce distortion, sacrificing off axis response. This is a mistake because distortion is generally inaudible, but off axis tonality is not. This error is common because measuring distortion is much less time consuming than measuring dispersion.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If only Danny's audio and loudspeaker ignorance was his only flaw. As I described above, his flaw is a personality defect, his malicious, his only known and virtually constant marketing philosophy: to publicly criticize the products of his perceived competition, speaking with non-existent expertise. He publicly and physically disassembles the products of his perceived competition, calmly discloses perceived flaws and his perceived remedies.

He's a self-proclaimed (faux) speaker design superhero whose best-polished superpower is to point out how much better are his superpowers than all the others who are pretenders.

In Danny's audio circle the only things worse than Danny himself are his pathetic acolytes and sycophants.

Beyond that he's OK.
I think we all have areas of our life where we are totally mediocre, and we should endeavor to make sure this is not the area that we use to make a living or gain public reputation.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
I think we all have areas of our life where we are totally mediocre, and we should endeavor to make sure this is not the area that we use to make a living or gain public reputation.
He is not the only hippy hobbyist who decided that stuffing boxes with minimal education and knowledge to make a living was a good idea. Many speaker companies and many companies of all sorts start this way. Small business is important and a meaningful part of the economy.
Earnest enthusiasm for audio is what we all share. I can’t take that from Danny. The level of technology and engineering that goes into good speakers does cast an unfavourable shadow on the more garage efforts these days though.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He is not the only hippy hobbyist who decided that stuffing boxes with minimal education and knowledge to make a living was a good idea. Many speaker companies and many companies of all sorts start this way. Small business is important and a meaningful part of the economy.
Earnest enthusiasm for audio is what we all share. I can’t take that from Danny. The level of technology and engineering that goes into good speakers does cast an unfavourable shadow on the more garage efforts these days though.
He needs the money. That's why he's so annoying.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
He needs the money. That's why he's so annoying.
So do we all need to make a living. What about Totem and PS Audio and PMC? Let’s not gang up on Danny. Or anyone. This isn’t dignified behaviour. He isn’t the only one posing as knowing what he’s doing. Or let’s ‘out’ all the fakers/posers equally harshly at a personal level. Is that a mandate we want? It is tempting to react to people but let’s stick to products.

Reactions: OCA

CapMan

Major Contributor
A common mistake in crossover design is to use steep crossover slopes to reduce distortion, sacrificing off axis response
Isn’t this the exact “mistake” Revel make with their highly regarded and well measuring speakers ;)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A common mistake in crossover design is to use steep crossover slopes to reduce distortion, sacrificing off axis response. This is a mistake because distortion is generally inaudible, but off axis tonality is not. This error is common because measuring distortion is much less time consuming than measuring dispersion.
A non steep slope can of course smear better a directivity mismatch on the horizontal radiation but on the other hand introduces a larger lobe in the vertical radiation so ideally it's better to use steep slope at the correct crossover frequency to optimise both.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So do we all need to make a living. What about Totem and PS Audio and PMC? Let’s not gang up on Danny. Or anyone. This isn’t dignified behaviour. He isn’t the only one posing as knowing what he’s doing. Or let’s ‘out’ all the fakers/posers equally harshly at a personal level. Is that a mandate we want? It is tempting to react to people but let’s stick to products.
Normally I'm the one expressing this sentiment, you're quite right.

Giri

Not if he misrepresents science to elevate his products and villify other's, untruthfully.

Top Bottom