• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Kit Speaker Review (video)

DanielT

Major Contributor
What is silly in the context of this thread is that Danny doesn't even specify distance for his one dB number! A speaker is a heck of a lot louder if you stick your ear next to the driver versus sitting 6 feet away.

General tip, the thread also contains links to other threads that cover, roughly, the same topic:

Danny maintains with his BS, ..now the small LGK 2.0 is better than:
(or what the hell he means)

Screenshot_2022-06-21_223800.jpg

Edit:
But ok, he's right, they are not in LGK 2.0 class, compared with...;)
Or Danny is smart. He says: Not in this performace class (and thats what?) ? and play louder for sure but talk about shuffling the cards with a statement.It's, seriously, just Danny waffling.:)...
Which speakers do what and not, and which are also good? Do you see? He suggests that his is great, better, compared but also bad, under conditions like eh..and so on.Just waffle.:)

What is better? Is green a better color than blue? If I like my home-made pasta dishes better than the top-Italian restaurant so then? As a DIY you can, of course, think your own rubbish is the best in the world but Danny ?! He sells on a commercial basis.

Last edited:

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I'm no speaker engineer but if you have a desktop-mini isn't it usually better to have a front port?

dfuller

Major Contributor
General tip, the thread also contains links to other threads that cover, roughly, the same topic:

View attachment 213993

Edit:
Or Danny is smart. He says: Not in this performace class (and thats what?) ? and play louder for sure but talk about shuffling the cards with a statement.It's, seriously, just Danny waffling.:)...
Which speakers do what and not, and which are also good? Do you see? He suggests that his is great, better, compared but also bad, under conditions like eh..and so on.Just waffle.:)

What is better? Is green a better color than blue? If I like my home-made pasta dishes better than the top-Italian restaurant so then? As a DIY you can, of course, think your own rubbish is the best in the world but Danny ?! He sells on a commercial basis.
That's my comment, he's in complete denial. I can hear the driver complaining *bad* on his clips. That same gargly voice thing.

DanielT

Major Contributor
That's my comment, he's in complete denial. I can hear the driver complaining *bad* on his clips. That same gargly voice thing.
Danny has actually made perfectly ok speakers. For their size and price, these are ok:

BUT with the LGK 2.0 he ended up completely wrong. Especially the price, over $1000 for a pair of small speakers with only 3 inch broadband elements in. Thats insane!

I think this is more about psychology and personality than speaker construction. Danny is a typical alpha male. He does not like to be questioned and criticized. Although the criticism is constructive. Typically male I never admit that I have done any wrong behavior. Then he enters a typically alpha male defensive position/mode and acts like a stubborn red pig and then publishes NEW videos where he once again praises his LGK 2.0.
Okay, that was speculation on my part. Maybe even waffle on my part, but I do not sell my waffle. That's the difference between me and Danny.;)

Edit:
Yes, I realize the irony is that I stubbornly continue to post in this thread. Everything that needs to be said about these LGK 2.0 has already been said. But I'm stubborn, but above all I get annoyed at Danny's attitude.

Last edited:

oscar_dziki

Video review of my recently tested GR Research LGK 2.0 DIY Kit speaker. There is bonus content here including recording of the sound coming out of the speaker and some additional graphs (which were also added to the text review):

@amirm I'd love to see a review of one of dannys subwoofers. I am really interested in this accelerometer technology, combined with an open baffle. Please please, please.

DanielT

Major Contributor
@amirm I'd love to see a review of one of dannys subwoofers. I am really interested in this accelerometer technology, combined with an open baffle. Please please, please.
Tip:

About accelerometer technology:

You can buy accelerometers, see:

Last edited:

audiosaurusrex

Great Video. I was almost going for the GR Upgrade for my Focal Aria 906's($460) and glad this came out. I am now questioning what improvements could be had? If Amir would be willing to measure them, I'd gladly ship them out.

Andysu

Major Contributor
That's the JBL 250Ti. I love them. I sold those too. Fantastic midrange and mid bass with a real nice thump. Top end was sharp too. All around they where superb.

1944961-8e5d7c06-jbl-250ti-speakers-two-pair-selling-at-one-time.jpg
yeah , i think it was those and may have been those and some other ones that was floorstanders , not sure of model , let me google . XPL 200 , just curious of them . i don't need them , just curious .

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah , i think it was those and may have been those and some other ones that was floorstanders , not sure of model , let me google . XPL 200 , just curious of them . i don't need them , just curious .
WowowzerZ! That JBL XPL 200 looks fantastic. Big Ti midrange and the Ti tweeter too. I never sold this model for some reason I don't know why.
DSC_0002-4.jpg

Also there was this tower.
9fe77e54-b4f8-4a95-b117-1c4e077a8b59.jpg

Then the Ti5000 model.
2011429_221737_OKBSKC.jpg

These I am guessing where early 1980's but I could be wrong.
ti3ssur1v6t71.jpg

petezapie

View attachment 213993

Edit:

he constantly prattles on about other peoples speakers and how they have low value but this takes the cake, spending $1k for this assembled is a joke

petezapie

Danny has actually made perfectly ok speakers. For their size and price, these are ok:

BUT with the LGK 2.0 he ended up completely wrong. Especially the price, over $1000 for a pair of small speakers with only 3 inch broadband elements in. Thats insane!

I think this is more about psychology and personality than speaker construction. Danny is a typical alpha male. He does not like to be questioned and criticized. Although the criticism is constructive. Typically male I never admit that I have done any wrong behavior. Then he enters a typically alpha male defensive position/mode and acts like a stubborn red pig and then publishes NEW videos where he once again praises his LGK 2.0.
Okay, that was speculation on my part. Maybe even waffle on my part, but I do not sell my waffle. That's the difference between me and Danny.;)

Edit:
Yes, I realize the irony is that I stubbornly continue to post in this thread. Everything that needs to be said about these LGK 2.0 has already been said. But I'm stubborn, but above all I get annoyed at Danny's attitude.
totally agree. The reality is Dany has to double down with his fiction because he has bought a bunch of inventory of the giant killer 3" driver.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Great Video. I was almost going for the GR Upgrade for my Focal Aria 906's($460) and glad this came out. I am now questioning what improvements could be had? If Amir would be willing to measure them, I'd gladly ship them out.
The Aria 906s? Amir did. They don't need any upgrades - well, outside of just making them active, because passive speakers in this day and age are a crappy solution.

totally agree. The reality is Dany has to double down with his fiction because he has bought a bunch of inventory of the giant killer 3" driver.
That driver would be totally acceptable to use in a 3 way system as a midrange. Figure 8+3+1, cross around 400/2.5k.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
And while you're at it, don't forget to pick up the $500 speaker cable that will magically transform your music listening experience. o_O
Unnecessarily expensive that does not add anything, other than a hole in the wallet.
(yes, I know you wrote it ironically. :D )

Edit:
Thought to register on Danny's website. To nag a little. It did not work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-23_183132.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-23_183132.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_2022-06-23_232053.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-23_232053.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

EXIF68

I like radio, I actually had 2 of those in the past for areas not meant for critical listening and thought it's OK sounding, better than other size comparable bluetooth speakers, but they both died quite early I thought, and sometime, unfortunately for inexpensive things like that, I don't like the modern Idea of stuff being disposable but it's simply just sadly not worth the time you would put to repair them. They are in a box somewhere.
my model one is now about 20 years old and is still working fine for background music and for news listening during breakfast in the morning at the kitchen

Andysu

Major Contributor
so gr is talking about dogs barking ?

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
so gr is talking about dogs barking ?
That's of a piece with his calling measurement-oriented folks "flat earthers." He knows that well informed customers will never buy from him, so why not baselessly insult them to the cheers of his adoring cult, er, I mean crowd?

Last edited:
Top Bottom