• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Kit Speaker Review (video)

Andysu

Major Contributor
I retailed the JBL Ti series (The tweeters you have in that speaker are from the Ti Series.) and could not keep them in stock. We ordered in a huge order and they where all gone in short order. Great stuff.
i'm aware or not aware of that but doesn't surprise me that they would take a popular part and apply to another speaker for marketing/sale .
i have in transit for the other HT1F that has damaged tweeters . i not found motivation to repair present one with car body filler .

which tweeter is better technically on the JBL 8330 mkI and mkII ? mkI uses soft dome . mark II use diamond dome surround .

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
which tweeter is better technically on the JBL 8330 mkI and mkII ? mkI uses soft dome . mark II use diamond dome surround .
By diamond dome do you mean this type with the pleats in the dome? I googled the Mark I and the Mark II and did not find a soft dome tweeter. If it is the Pure Titanium dome then I think that would be a newer model of tweeter.
gdkqej9irburzk6fpiyn.jpg

bsas

What giants would they kill, are there any comparisons made ? Are there even worse speakers ?
And I mean - if you can hear over Youtube how bad they sound, then it must be really bad.

Looks like giants have good hearing and they die if they hear distortion... poor giants...

Toni Mas

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
By diamond dome do you mean this type with the pleats in the dome? I googled the Mark I and the Mark II and did not find a soft dome tweeter. If it is the Pure Titanium dome then I think that would be a newer model of tweeter.
gdkqej9irburzk6fpiyn.jpg
same tweeter . which JBL hi-fi was that used in i have idea i seen them at hi-fi shop during around late 80's huge tower JBL 3 or 4 way with angled shape stood about , five feet ? and some smaller two way ones .

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
same tweeter . which JBL hi-fi was that used in i have idea i seen them at hi-fi shop during around late 80's huge tower JBL 3 or 4 way with angled shape stood about , five feet ? and some smaller two way ones .
That's the JBL 250Ti. I love them. I sold those too. Fantastic midrange and mid bass with a real nice thump. Top end was sharp too. All around they where superb.
1.jpg.20f05c5323ac5e98f02379fbf3e3f4b8.jpg

1944961-8e5d7c06-jbl-250ti-speakers-two-pair-selling-at-one-time.jpg

Koeitje

Major Contributor
My first computer speakers were cheap Labtec Spin 70's

The tiny driver was smooth and clear enough in the mids and didn't squawk, there was enough top for cymbals and rim shots to sound convincing if levels were desktop levels and the same with the bass and I don't recall ever hearing noises from the built in stereo amp. NO WAY could it be called a higher fidelity sound, but at low volume they could diisappear surprisingly well from the music and I used them for many years as little desktop noise boxes with absolutely no issue. The price was thirty quid or less I seem to recall (so under £50 today?) and they had a perfectly adequate stereo amp inside one of them and with volume and treble control as well.

Lets face it, amongst the Edifier baby actives, JBL 305 and Q Acoustics stylish powered M20 boxes for around four hundred quid (and which a friend of mine is raving over as he's using them as main speakers set up on proper stands) and many many others from kali et al for a few hundred quid or dollars, why pay the same for a tiny overworked driver with a network to try to sort it out in a plain unfinished flat pack box-kit which apparently isn't radiused properly. No fun in that and how much is this kit going to fetch when you want to move it on. You can do better for half the price new, so its used value can't be more than a hundred or so.
To be fair, Edifier also struggles imo. I had 1850s from them and the 4" driver clearly wasn't enough in terms of the bass. It started distorting really early. I also have JBL 305's and those are in a completely different ballpark. You simply need a 5" driver at minimum if you want your speaker to do some bass.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Lowther's and Jordan's are totally different animals... I am married with a pair of Jordan JX92 and promiss to be faithfull till these little things get broken... Or who knows what the end of this love story will be...:rolleyes:
Not sure of your point -- both are "fullrange drivers". Both are important exemplars of the genre, but Lowther, love 'em or hate 'em, are the sine qua non.
Pretty sure they predate the Jordans by a decade (maybe even two).
Full disclosure, I tend to fall into the hate 'em camp for Lowthers, although with just the right recordings & just the right equipment, they can be astonishingly real sounding. Of course, in most other situations, they can be nigh-on unlistenable.

I have heard some Jordan drivers, but haven't spent enough time with 'em to have a strong opinion, one way or the other.

Dollar for dollar, Radio Shack's utterly guileless 40-1354 5-1/4" pincushion frame twincone gets my vote as the best "fullrange"* goin'.
Dollar for dollar (i.e., they were cheap!). ;)

These are installed in mass-loaded, folded tapered quarter-wave tubes designed by Bob Brines, and have "aftermarket phase plugs (from Dave Dlugos) that seem to smooth out HF response and improve HF dispersion.

Whizzers, baby! ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure of your point -- both are "fullrange drivers". Both are important exemplars of the genre, but Lowther, love 'em or hate 'em, are the sine qua non.
Pretty sure they predate the Jordans by a decade (maybe even two).
Full disclosure, I tend to fall into the hate 'em camp for Lowthers, although with just the right recordings & just the right equipment, they can be astonishingly real sounding. Of course, in most other situations, they can be nigh-on unlistenable.

I have heard some Jordan drivers, but haven't spent enough time with 'em to have a strong opinion, one way or the other.

Dollar for dollar, Radio Shack's utterly guileless 40-1354 5-1/4" pincushion frame twincone gets my vote as the best "fullrange"* goin'.
Dollar for dollar (i.e., they were cheap!). ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Man alive! You have lotsa gear to play with. :D
That's why I am chockablock with opinions about stuff.
Plus... I know some guys with stuff, too. Other stuff. Different stuff. Often better stuff.

It's a way more interesting hobby when it's not too one-dimensional.

Oh, that ^^^ was another one of those opinions, come to think of it. :cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why I am chockablock with opinions about stuff.
Plus... I know some guys with stuff, too. Other stuff. Different stuff. Often better stuff.

It's a way more interesting hobby when it's not too one-dimensional.

Oh, that ^^^ was another one of those opinions, come to think of it. :cool:
I want your Sherwood Mark II amp! lol

DanielT

Major Contributor
F.Y.I.Danny has posted recordings with them. I do not get those files per se, but you others may be able to test?

To be a person who claims not to care about what Amir does and says, much of Danny's comments and activities regarding these speakers right now seem to be a result of Amir's actions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-21_064127.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-21_064127.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for posting them. I listened they seem quite processed. Here is the "I will remember" by Toto:

Listen to how the vocals are front and center and very smooth. In Danny's version they are pushed way back with the sub whaling. And there is a ton of reverb or room reflections.

In all honesty though, such comparisons are impossible to do is let alone when a sub and filter is added.

Same issue with Alison Krauss' It doesn't matter:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
This speakers are so small that you need two subs near to the speakers couse you have to xover them high. Whats now wone? Exactly! Nothing.

Get a pair of good studio monitors. Cheaper and better.

They just show that the 3inch fullrange idear not works.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
gdkqej9irburzk6fpiyn.jpg

These were JBL's "flagship" dome tweeters circa 1990, used in the LX-22/44/55 speakers and the big HP-XXX floorstanders too. I still have a bunch of LX-22s that could used a good home -- that tweeter is too "tinkly"-metallic sounding for the near field, but it does a fine job given a couple of meters distance from the listener. I tamed mine for near field use with a simple voltage divider (see below), but that mod also lost me
img013.png
some of the speaker's "pizazz." If anyone's interested, some of those LX-22s could use a good home where they'd actually be used. :cool:

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
This speakers are so small that you need two subs near to the speakers couse you have to xover them high. Whats now wone? Exactly! Nothing.

Get a pair of good studio monitors. Cheaper and better.

They just show that the 3inch fullrange idear not works.
Which then leads to, lets say two subwoofers. The set up becomes, ...voila a two-wave speakers (in a way).

It boils all the time down to the fact that they are midrange drivers. By the way, throw in a couple of tweeter together with them and make a couple of three-way speakers. Even better buy some other speakers.:)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Which then leads to, lets say two subwoofers. The set up becomes, ...voila a two-wave speakers (in a way).

It boils all the time down to the fact that they are midrange drivers. By the way, throw in a couple of tweeter together with them and make a couple of three-way speakers. Even better buy some other speakers.:)

Or start with a 5,6,7 inch add a dome and you end up with what genelec,neuman, jbl, focal and.....do. Something that works. ;) For the same price.

DanielT

Major Contributor
This reminds me of the stone soup story. The intension of the story obviously is very different. The outcome however is comparable.
Aha, now I understood. We say nail soup.Boil soup on a nail.:)

"Stone Soup is a European folk story in which hungry strangers convince the people of a town to each share a small amount of their food in order to make a meal that everyone enjoys, and exists as a moral regarding the value of sharing. In varying traditions, the stone has been replaced with other common inedible objects, and therefore the fable is also known as axe soup, button soup, nail soup, and wood soup."

Top Bottom