• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Kit Speaker Review (video)

DSJR

Major Contributor
Even with my bad lugs, I could hear it from the get go using 'phones. Reminds me of either the Daleks' ring modulator or a very badly worn saphire stylus from my 'portable record player' childhood...

I'm sure in bits of video's I scanned, Dan was mentioning an ~80Hz high-pass. Not sure if this could be achieved by shoving a large value cap in series on the input (I think some lower cost smaller conventional big-name UK made speakers did this some decades back)?

EXIF68

This speaker sounds very comparable to my Tivoli Model One Radio
the size of the driver is also not very different.
35E7D1F7-D872-4A66-B344-A62865534D24.jpeg

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
Amir, thanks for this enjoyable video. But to really appreciate this little giant killer you have to run this track:

;)
I went hearing that video with utmost interest.
Now, if you please, where could that bass have got to ? Into the future ?
To my ears, it lacks any interest regarding bass notes. Tap a table and you will hear much more bass. Avoid the corners for deepest results..

Have a try listening to those astounding drums thanks to Buchardt A700...

Last edited:

Lunafag

That sound demo, wow, not even smartphone speakers fall apart that badly.

Reactions: YSC

Andreas007

I went hearing that video with utmost interest.
Now, if you please, where could that bass have got to ? Into the future ?
To my ears, it lacks any interest regarding bass notes. Tap a table and you will hear much more bass. Avoid the corners for deepest results..

Have a try listening to those astounding drums thanks to Buchardt A700...

:D You're right this track has modest bass, but it's deep and continuous. I've been using BASS 305 tracks (from CD) in the past mainly for fun and to see where the limit of a specific system is. There are some other tracks from them which show any incapability of power/distortion/crackling or resonance issues. I guess mainly because the bass notes are pure, long and sometimes very low (can only feel/see them). Every bass deficency jumps right into your face, especially with headphones. I've catched quite a few bad ones with this kind of music.

Ok, sinewave could do that too but with less fun. ;)

F1308

Major Contributor
:D You're right this track has modest bass, but it's deep and continuous. I've been using BASS 305 tracks (from CD) in the past mainly for fun and to see where the limit of a specific system is. There are some other tracks from them which show any incapability of power/distortion/crackling or resonance issues. I guess mainly because the bass notes are pure, long and sometimes very low (can only feel/see them). Every bass deficency jumps right into your face, especially with headphones. I've catched quite a few bad ones with this kind of music.

Ok, sinewave could do that too but with less fun. ;)

:):):):)

Somafunk

Major Contributor
This speaker sounds very comparable to my Tivoli Model One Radio
the size of the driver is also not very different.
I used to have a model 1 for kitchen duties, excellent radio and very pleasing sound.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@amirm Definitely one of may favorite reviews so far. This speaker clearly falls outside of a speaker with colorations that someone might prefer to a broken design.

iulianm

I just watched Danny's video now and it seems that he acknowledge what it was found in Amir's review (distorsion and bottoming out in low frequencies) and he's experimenting with adding a larger driver (5") just for the low-range part and handover to that 3" driver as soon as possible.

That should help a lot with the distorsion and improve bass response.
Maybe he should have set these expectation from the beginning but I think ASR's review provided a lot of insight for potential customers into the limitations of this speaker as it is today.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I just watched Danny's video now and it seems that he acknowledge everything it was found on ASR's review (distorsion and bottoming out in low frequencies) and he's experimenting with adding a larger driver just for the low-range part and handover to that 3" driver as soon as possible.

That should help a lot with the distorsion and improve bass response.

Sure the upgrades will be very cheap.

iulianm

The cost itself would be indeed important in evaluating ROI.
From what he said, those 5" woofers are "stupid cheap" and it would be interesting to see if it would be something within the range of $20-30 for adding that woofer. (maybe changing those parts from filter to crossover might add some extra cost if more parts would be needed).

YSC

Major Contributor
So this is his response...
Now you need a Sub of course, and you should only use it in this 'intended application'
I assume he hasn't ever mentioned that before.
well that's better than never, but back to square 1, how can it be the giant killer by itself then?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The cost itself would be indeed important in evaluating ROI.
From what he said, those 5" woofers are "stupid cheap" and it would be interesting to see if it would be something within the range of $20-30 for adding that woofer. (maybe changing those parts from filter to crossover might add some extra cost if more parts would be needed).

How should this happpen? For the older costumers no way.

Adding a woofer is a new speaker.

Top Bottom