• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Kit Speaker Review (video)

uwotm8

F.Y.I.Danny has posted recordings with them. I do not get those files per se, but you others may be able to test?

To be a person who claims not to care about what Amir does and says, much of Danny's comments and activities regarding these speakers right now seem to be a result of Amir's actions.

OMG such a typical "let me show you small FR driver can be good"-music:D:facepalm:
Problems start here:
And then comes ruination:
;)

P.S.

Ageve

F.Y.I.Danny has posted recordings with them. I do not get those files per se, but you others may be able to test?

These were captured using the LGK’s blended with our Triple Threat Servo subs using an inline filter (1st order) to dump the low

So he didn't really record the bass performance of the "LGK" speakers, but three subwoofers...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I like to use the redoubtable (although doubtless reviled in many circles, especially nowadays) Jennifer Warnes' Way Down Deep and Blue Man Group tracks such as Synesthesia to test loudspeakers for wide-range dynamics, be they big or small. ;)

Whump.

Way Down Deep
is also really good for diagnosing loose screws or crossover components in a loudspeaker. :)

Absolutly no problem, as long your level is lower than a mouse fart. ;)

... and that's absolutely no problem with a sensitive-enough loudspeaker. :cool:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I like to use the redoubtable (although doubtless reviled in many circles, especially nowadays) Jennifer Warnes' Way Down Deep and Blue Man Group tracks such as Synesthesia to test loudspeakers for wide-range dynamics, be they big or small. ;)

Whump.

Way Down Deep
is also really good for diagnosing loose screws or crossover components in a loudspeaker. :)

... and that's absolutely no problem with a sensitive-enough loudspeaker. :cool:

This depends on your amp, with some the hiss at level 0 is louder than a mouse fart.
On the other hand who knows how loud they fart??
;)

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Aha, now I understood. We say nail soup.Boil soup on a nail.:)

"Stone Soup is a European folk story in which hungry strangers convince the people of a town to each share a small amount of their food in order to make a meal that everyone enjoys, and exists as a moral regarding the value of sharing. In varying traditions, the stone has been replaced with other common inedible objects, and therefore the fable is also known as axe soup, button soup, nail soup, and wood soup."

(I'd never heard of that before, so I had to read the wikipedia article, I think this skipped the UK!)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Should I post this ... or ... well I do ...wait...

Edit:
Danny is right! :) See attached pictures.Kali vs these ..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-21_120006 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-21_120006 (1).jpg
    662 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_2022-06-21_115959 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-21_115959 (1).jpg
    726.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Hehe with my new knowledge i have to ask amir if he could retest. If they do 65B at 20Hz with less than 10% thd. Then i take all back and you can use this speakers at fullrange even louder as a rat fart! But first we have to test, ;)

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
as I retired veterinarian i speak with some authority.... about 57db for the average size mouse, rats about 60db

This is exactly what we want on this thread, we can now further our collective knowledge.

PS : I have often heard the phrase “quieter than a gnats fart“, with your extensive knowledge can you quantify how loud a gnats fart is?. And one final query, another phrase that was often used in my engineering days was “tighter than a gnats chuff”, this was used when shimming components and determining clearances but despite reference to many workshop manuals I have not found the specifications for a gnats chuff, if you could clear this up then I will draw up a paper to be presented to the Royal Academy of Engineering for peer review.

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I truly cannot find a reason for this speaker to exist. In a cabinet that size, there are many better options for less money, from DIY all the way to Genelecs. With the beaming in the high frequencies, these speakers need to be tilted back a significant number of degrees to work on a desk, or they need to be placed on rather tall stands. If they are to be used as computer speakers, why use passive filters at all? A good PEQ is a better and far less expensive solution (yes, I know). Then there is the limited output with the presence of any bass.

This is a product for the sake of being a product.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I love how his gotcha on youtube is "did you listen to the samples?" and like... I can hear the drivers complaining even through that awful recording. Must be like 10% IMD or similar.

sojun80

This speaker is not for me... as I'm totally;

JSmith

I'm glad there are some bass enjoyers here like me. I've got 2 SVS 2000 Pros and I'm not satisfied. I betcha some of us started in car audio years ago and we know where to spend the money back then...I believe home audio just doesn't care about bass. I cannot even fathom a system without a sub unless it's some sort of massive tower and 800w each or something. Too many reviews "you can run this without a sub" - and I always laugh.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Another quotable one-liner that I would like to borrow, if I may... :cool:
by all means, good sir. :)

When I was in grad school, when it appeared that the s#!t had hit the fan (as some would say), a colleague and I preferred to say the feces have acquired angular momentum.

I mean, lots of tax dollars had gone into our educations by that point, so we figured we should make good use of 'em, you know? :cool:

as I retired veterinarian i speak with some authority.... about 57db for the average size mouse, rats about 60db
* That's at 1 meter?
* A weighted or C weighted?

;)

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
PS : I have often heard the phrase “quieter than a gnats fart“, with your extensive knowledge can you quantify how loud a gnats fart is?. And one final query, another phrase that was often used in my engineering days was “tighter than a gnats chuff”, this was used when shimming components and determining clearances but despite reference to many workshop manuals I have not found the specifications for a gnats chuff, if you could clear this up then I will draw up a paper to be presented to the Royal Academy of Engineering for peer review.
Perceptual of loudness is very complex as our hearing is quite non-linear with respect to frequency in that regard. From famous Fletcher-Munson graph:

400px-Lindos1.svg.png

Take the threshold of hearing. At 3 kHz, it is actually negative SPL whereas at 20 Hz, it shoots up to 70 dBSPL! This makes any single value SPL value nonsense. If a speaker is down 10 dB at 50 Hz and has a sensitivity of say, 85 dB, at 50 that drop down to just 75 dB.

So sound pressure level is not the same as loudness. One is a measurement and the other a psychoacoustic metric. You need to know the spectrum of the signal and for every frequency arrive at how loud it can be perceived.

What is silly in the context of this thread is that Danny doesn't even specify distance for his one dB number! A speaker is a heck of a lot louder if you stick your ear next to the driver versus sitting 6 feet away.

dfuller

Major Contributor
What is silly in the context of this thread is that Danny doesn't even specify distance for his one dB number!
84dB/1m anechoic is honestly probably the absolute loudest you could push this thing without it falling apart.

Reactions: YSC
Top Bottom