• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade Review (speaker)

Rate this speaker mod:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 40 20.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 118 61.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters

kokakolia

Why would that be desirable? We’re trying to reproduce music as it was intended by the artists. Coloring the sound with distortion is not part of this. If the artist wants coloration, they can add that at their own discretion.
Even harmonic distortion is perceived as melody and warmth. You get that type of distortion with vinyl and tubes.

The artist argument is so disconnected from reality. Artists and producers expect listeners to play music in their cars and on cheap earbuds.

And the audiophile community is very focused on affordable gear, vintage and DIY. Key word: affordable. The really expensive stuff is pretty niche. This is not a millionaire hobby.

The Klipsch RP600M are affordable. Some people don't like them. I am not speaking on the behalf of the "community". But calling the RP600M bad is an opinion.

beagleman

Major Contributor
The Yamaha RN402 amp is entry level and feels anemic. I'm sure that costlier amps from the same brand would sound better. POS was an overstatement, I should have said anemic as it is holding my speakers back.

They are the cats meow. Find me a speaker this size that can output bass like that. They are underrated. At the same time the EMS LB5 drivers are $300/unit and the cabinet is really expensive to manufacture.

If the OGY were priced around $1000/pair to compete with the LS50, they would make a huge splash. But they cost the double. It's no wonder that this type of design is so unpopular. It's so much easier/cost effective to use a simple MDF box, a basic crossover and a cheap & effective tweeter + woofer combo.
I still think you do not understand how amps work at all.

Ignoring super cheap chinese amps and so on.

Just looking at actual "High fidelity" amps, there is NO reason, a lower priced Yamaha would sound Anemic compared to a higher priced yamaha or any other reputable brand.

If there is some huge or very large change going on, it is either something else, or in your mind.
Please do not start the "So you are saying ALL amps sound the same", thing either.
But ALL decent amps should sound QUITE similar, when operated within their normal power output ranges.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The audiophile community also love their $ 1800 coax cables, or the M-Scaler.. love for something says very little about the actual performance of a product.

I guess the fact that they sound so different has a lot to do with the appeal. It gets people attention in the showroom, and makes a sale easier.

None of this makes it a well performing speaker. It’s objectively not. That doesn’t mean you (or anyone) cannot like it though.

Why would that be desirable? We’re trying to reproduce music as it was intended by the artists. Coloring the sound with distortion is not part of this. If the artist wants coloration, they can add that at their own discretion.
Distortion is awesome! When the artists records it as part of the material, that is.

Without distortion music would sound boring like Diana Krall.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The Yamaha RN402 amp is entry level and feels anemic. I'm sure that costlier amps from the same brand would sound better.

Why? Because they are more expensive?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Even harmonic distortion is perceived as melody and warmth. You get that type of distortion with vinyl and tubes.

The artist argument is so disconnected from reality. Artists and producers expect listeners to play music in their cars and on cheap earbuds.

And the audiophile community is very focused on affordable gear, vintage and DIY. Key word: affordable. The really expensive stuff is pretty niche. This is not a millionaire hobby.

The Klipsch RP600M are affordable. Some people don't like them. I am not speaking on the behalf of the "community". But calling the RP600M bad is an opinion.
Slayer on tubes sound like shit.

The artist argument is absolutely objective: you don't want Grindcore on tubes. Chances are you don't want Grindcore at all.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

See all is taste. If someone likes a big hole in the midrange, why not, if he/she likes it. But calling this a good speaker is something very different.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

No he compared it on his 4inch to a tube amp. And he missed bass, ;) that the tube gave, ;).
What tells me that even the most expensive yamaha amp would sound anemic, couse they are just linear.

kokakolia

Just better components.
No he compared it on his 4inch to a tube amp. And he missed bass, ;) that the tube gave, ;).
What tells me that even the most expensive yamaha amp would sound anemic, couse they are just linear.
Hey I like the tubes more.
See all is taste. If someone likes a big hole in the midrange, why not, if he/she likes it. But calling this a good speaker is something very different.
Now you sound like a snob.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Just better components.

You like them more. Sure if you have a speaker with anemic bass, every boost is welcome.

So you think its snob like to say a speaker with a midrange hole big like grand cannyon is not a good speaker? Ask Denny, he even did a fix for it. Was it snob to do a fix? See the rp600m gave me a exact inside into the subjective review bussines. Something i know since more than 35 years, should now be open for everyone to see. Its a great BS show.
If people talk about cables or amps and dont hear this. They are complete incompetent. Couse the minimum they had to do is using a linear reference. And everybody even without golden ears could hear it.

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
Ok these are reasonable arguments. Yes, the tube amplifier isn't neutral and it may add bass. And that's very desirable IMHO.

I love the tube amplifier pairing with the speakers. It's not wasted money if I'm enjoying it immensely. To me, the Klipsch RP600M and Yamaha RN402 combo felt kind of wasteful since it didn't bring me much joy. I purchased the Yamaha/Klipsch combo for 620€ and I resold the combo for 450€ 2 years later. So the value is unbeatable.
Very confusing line of reasoning. While I understand the love of something like a hand-built artisan tube amp from France (I have a pair from USA for instance), I'm not going to use them as an argument to say that a Yamaha RN402 sounds bad, joyless, anemic etc. Because it doesn't.
I don't value my purchase on objective performance like you do.
If so, then why are you here arguing these unscientific points of view :facepalm:?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Slayer on tubes sound like shit.

The artist argument is absolutely objective: you don't want Grindcore on tubes. Chances are you don't want Grindcore at all.
Speak for yourself, I want more Rotten Sound.

Not only is this not true, tubes and vinyl both make lots of odd order harmonic distortion too.

Reactions: MAB

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Speak for yourself, I want more Rotten Sound.

Not only is this not true, tubes and vinyl both make lots of odd order harmonic distortion too.
Rotten Sound, Nasum, Terrorizer, Carcass, Benediction... They all sound like shit on tubes.

kokakolia

Rotten Sound, Nasum, Terrorizer, Carcass, Benediction... They all sound like shit on tubes.
I'm more of an Apes of the State, Animal Collective, Pat the Bunny, Old Man Ludecke, Sun Kil Moon, Mac Demarco, Kurt Vile, Mild Orange, Courtney Barnett, St. Vincent, Snail Mail, Soccer Mommy, Dirty Projectors, Tune Yards kind of guy... And I listen to Masayoshi Takanaka and Spyro Gyra when I workout with my Ring Fit on the Switch.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If you want the experiment of why tubes don't work with hash stuff, give a try to classic Crust like Doom or Siege...

kokakolia

If you want the experiment of why tubes don't work with hash stuff, give a try to classic Crust like Doom or Siege...
I would rather attend Church on a Sunday while hungover. This technical metal music is such a drag!

And I listened to the Caretaker - Everywhere at the End of Time twice. It's a 6h album simulating dementia. I would rather listen to that.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Just better components.

But, I think you seem to not understand or realize, Yamaha and MOST amplifier manufacturers, do not use "Better" components as the power of their amps goes upwards.

Most all of the cost, is a larger power supply and more power transistors and heatsinks. Maybe a few features or switches.

It simply for the most part, is just a more powerful version of the smaller amp.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I would rather attend Church on a Sunday while hungover. This technical metal music is such a drag!

And I listened to the Caretaker - Everywhere at the End of Time twice. It's a 6h album simulating dementia. I would rather listen to that.
Crust? Technical? :D :D
It's Punk so accerated and so noisy that you wonder how can it even be recorded.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You think you do. You don't know. There is so much folklore around tubes that vast majority of people are biased by that. I have done countless listening tests of tubes. They are either transparent or distortion factories. Neither matches what you and others claim. Until you perform a controlled, blind test, you don't know what you really prefer.

Top Bottom